Recommended 12v bilge pumps please

ArJayAytch

Featured Posts

At the weekend our Attwood V500 threw a wobbly. Despite tlc since it runs for a few seconds, groans then blows its fuse. Seems like it's time to invest in a replacement. Question is, should we go for the same again or are there better ones for similar money (£15 to £20)? Thanks.

Richard

At the weekend our Attwood V500 threw a wobbly. Despite tlc since it runs for a few seconds, groans then blows its fuse. Seems like it's time to invest in a replacement. Question is, should we go for the same again or are there better ones for similar money (£15 to £20)? Thanks.

Johnson L450, in my experience:

Cartridge_180px.jpg

Shop around and try Ebay too.

cheers,

Pete.

Richard

The cheapest and best bilge pump is a frightened man equipped with a bucket.

Coat already on....

Johnson L450, in my experience:

Cartridge_180px.jpg

Shop around and try Ebay too.

cheers,

Pete.

Yes, I agree.

For shifting lots of water, regularly, I used the biggest cheapest chinese jobby at the chandlers (1500 gph, usually) but, for backup pumps that may stand idle for months, the johnsons are the most reliable I've come across.

The Rule float switch is the best to couple it with, btw.

We have an of the shelf rule in the engineroom and that pumps fine for what it is (small) with a rule floar swtich thats also done good service.

- That said, the pump under the stearntube gland and back deck has far more poke to it, although sadly ive never known what brand it is (its grey, 20yo, and covered in bilge grime)