IS THIS TRUE?

Roger t' Bodger

Featured Posts

Something to read over Easter as the sleet's roar intensifies on the roof and the stove crackles and spits.....

From the Canals Mailing List a couple of months ago:

You're all so very kind that maybe now it's the time to announce that One

Man and a Narrowboat; Slowing Down Time on England's Waterways will be

available from all good bookshops in the spring.

However, this announcement comes with a caveat for the book is actually a

reprint, with a new cover, of Fruit Flies Like a Banana which many of you

have already bought. True, it is a comprehensively revised text. There are

new bits and some of my more.... err... hysterical outbursts have been

quietly binned. Even so, anyone who has read Fruit Flies would be

disappointed they weren't getting something new and I'd be sorry for that to

happen. Especially since this is a decision of the publishers over which

I've got very little control.

However, some of you who haven't read FF might like it, and those that have

might be curious as to what I'm least pleased with and have axed.

<Snip>

Steve

Edited by Tim Lewis

Something to read over Easter as the sleet's roar intensifies on the roof and the stove crackles and spits.....

StevephaywoodNarrowboatDreamsb.jpg

Steve has removed all the Triumph Herald stuff that boaters ignored and put in a few more tales gleaned from the "Canals" mail list. :lol:

I wish I could make money from TNC...instead of it being a moneypit...maybe I need to get it touch with Steve's agent. :lol:

Some people, such as Emrhys Burrell (Stem to Stern) , and Chris Lloyd & Andy Burnett Narrowboat Builder's Book) , combined a series of magazine articles into a book, and presumably made some money out of so doing. Perhaps TNC would consider following their example?

I'd buy your book!

You'll have to wait another decade... when I am past it, you will have forgotten about my boring trip reports, HMG will have made boating terminally boring / sanitised / legislated and I can sex it all up! :lol:

You'll have to wait another decade... when I am past it, you will have forgotten about my boring trip reports, HMG will have made boating terminally boring / sanitised / legislated and I can sex it all up! :lol:

What, add stuff such as the lock keeper at the Bingley 5 Rise definitely having weapons of mass destruction? No one would believe it, would they................?

That guy in charge ,with the hat ,on the bingley rise came to the top gate of one of the locks as we were going up , he looked down and suddenly his face went like thunder before turned to one of the lock crew with a murderous look in his eyes told the other lockie he had open the top sluice and not closed the bottom one.

i swear this lockie was totally crushed that it had happened at all, but for the first time in the job he said he had left a sluice open and he was devastated that he had done it there on the bingley 5 and HE had caught him , HE being the top lockie who had no slackness on HIS FLIGHT.

The thing was we were one of the first lock passage up of the day , and the young lockkeeper knew him and his mistake had a full day ,all day to learn lessons with him who runs the bingley.

took us a while to get up the flight but we were still laughing at the young fella when we did.

Of all the keepers BW have (or had) over the whole system the only one I trust is Barry of Bingley (MBE). When young he used to be a bit fly by night - all swinging ropes. Now he is more like that golf bloke - Peter Alliss.

Last time we came through he placed us to the inch in each lock and brought us up without us moving back forward or sideways. And all the time locals passed by wishing him "Good morning Barry" while he lolled on the lock beam controlling the flow via the paddles when not opening gates - or directing the wife to do it.

:lol: