soundproofing

Featured Posts

when i was out last weekend i got some old underlay and laid it over the rear deck on top of the deck boards.it made the engine noise a lot quieter and i wondered whether this was a feasible solution.i then googled "rubber mats" and came up with horse mats which are about 20 mm thick non porous and rot proof.

i thought i could simply lay the matting on the rear deck with a join etc to get at the fuel cut off and elec cut off when i need to.when the boat is not in use i guess the mat could come up and be stored elsewhere to give it a longer life .horse mats withstand being stood on (by horses!) so should be durable and the cost isnt too outrageous...about £100 to do the deck.

it will mean making sure i dont create a flooding problem at the rear doors by raising the step and cutting the bottom off the doors so they fit over the mats(or else fitting rtising butt hinges)

is this a mad idea ???

I have used carpet underlay as sound insulation in the engine bay - results are good. After de-greasing the surfaces I used a spray contact adhesive and stuck the underlay to every bit of flat surface I could get to. Been there a year now and no sign of coming off . . . yet!

I have used rubber based carpet underlay in a similar way to how Dave R suggests, it is glued to the inside surfaces of the the plywood engine covers within the engine room. I found a type which is very heavy, an advantage in itself and has pyramids of dense rubber foam over the outer surface, very like the pictures of acoustic isolation rooms you sometimes see, not very scientific but it quite effective and is very cheap.

To be really effective as much mass as possible should be involved, the best types use a sandwich of sound absorbing foam material and a layer of lead which like other materials will deflect with lower frequency sound vibrations but unlike others does not readily twang back thus acting as an absorbing medium.

T W Marine of Furness Vale were perhaps the first people to market the stuff for boats. Tel. 01663 745757

I have used rubber based carpet underlay in a similar way to how Dave R suggests, it is glued to the inside surfaces of the the plywood engine covers within the engine room. I found a type which is very heavy, an advantage in itself and has pyramids of dense rubber foam over the outer surface, very like the pictures of acoustic isolation rooms you sometimes see, not very scientific but it quite effective and is very cheap.

26674[/snapback]

.............. and a significant fire risk ?

Hi All

I realise that we all want the best for the least cost but some items need to be "paid" for.

Personally I believe the best item to buy is the one designed for the job, to cut corners usually cost more in the long term.

With reference to sound insulation in an engine room, I do not think your insurance company would payout if the incorrect type was fitted.

Fires are rare, thank goodness, but they do happen and is it worth losing your boat for a few pounds saved in the beginning. Rant-Off.gif

in the words of the fast show.....i'll get me coat

i was probably going to buy the real stuff from tw marine i just didnt know it

the self adhesive stuff with the durable surface plus hatch tape comes to about 160 quids...has any one else had a go at fitting it ???

• 4 months later...

I'm on the lookout to add some Accoustic Insulation around my engine enclosure.

It's in a "trad style" and needs to include (at least) the floors over the engine, and a large panel down one side. (Possibly more, like the bulkhead in front, although clearances are tight).

I've seen that you can use alternatives, but am probably OK with buying the proper stuff, if I can find it not too expensively.

Previous posts show possible suppliers as "TW Marine", but they don't give details of pricing on their site. Also "Acorn Engineering", but their information doesn't really distinguish types.

Has anyone sourced any recently, at a "reasonable" price, please?

Can it be mail ordered, (I can't imagine carriage is cheap on 1000*600 mm sheets) ?

Specifically if anyone knows of reasonable a supplier near Herts, that would be great.

Finally what's the view on the self-adhesive stuff, versus that you use with glues (sometimes aerosol glues ?). What have people used, and did it stay stuck, please ?

Specifically if anyone knows of reasonable a supplier near Herts, that would be great.

similar materials that must be fireproof are used in acoustic enclosures, for example emergency generators used outside hospitals and offices, and air compressors used in road works. I suggest to widen the search beyond chandlers and boats. Maybe try calling your local generator hire firm and track down where the generators are assembled ..... etc.

It's in a "trad style" and needs to include (at least) the floors over the engine, and a large panel down one side. (Possibly more, like the bulkhead in front, although clearances are tight).

I've seen that you can use alternatives, but am probably OK with buying the proper stuff, if I can find it not too expensively.

Previous posts show possible suppliers as "TW Marine", but they don't give details of pricing on their site. Also "Acorn Engineering", but their information doesn't really distinguish types.

Has anyone sourced any recently, at a "reasonable" price, please?

Can it be mail ordered, (I can't imagine carriage is cheap on 1000*600 mm sheets) ?

Finally what's the view on the self-adhesive stuff, versus that you use with glues (sometimes aerosol glues ?). What have people used, and did it stay stuck, please ?

Alan,

I recommend this acoustic foam, this is priced at £25 plus postage for 3.4 sq metres. I doubt you will find cheaper. I used it on my engine bay and it has significantly reduced the sound level. I may add some more next spring to some other surfaces in the engine bay. I used contact adhesive, quick and easy to do

Charles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Treatment-S...oQQcmdZViewItem

• 4 weeks later...

Alan,

I recommend this acoustic foam, this is priced at £25 plus postage for 3.4 sq metres. I doubt you will find cheaper. I used it on my engine bay and it has significantly reduced the sound level. I may add some more next spring to some other surfaces in the engine bay. I used contact adhesive, quick and easy to do

Charles

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Treatment-S...oQQcmdZViewItem

Have added a couple of photos of the foam I used on Lyra

Charles

http://tuglyranarrowboatcharles.blogspot.com/

Have added a couple of photos of the foam I used on Lyra

Charles

http://tuglyranarrowboatcharles.blogspot.com/

Thanks Charles,

I haven't got around to anything on this yet, as other priorities have taken over, but I'm still considering options, for when I do, so the info is most useful.

As to the stuff specifically sold as engine bay sound insulation for marine use, I note that it is certainly not all the same....

Our local marina has some in a 30mm thickness, but when TW Marine sent me a sample of their material, it is obviously superior in a number of ways...

The actual sound barrier layer buried in the middle of the foam is visibly much more substantial.

The foam itself seems denser and less easily damaged.

The silver layer also seems tougher, and looks likely to survive rather better, particularly on panels that need to be removed for access to the engine.

That said the TW marine stuff is a lot more expensive - the cheapest option for 4 sheets after delivery is about £114, (so £28.50 per sheet). (And its even more if a stronger covering sheet is chosen).

The stuff at the marina, (brand unknown) is £17 per sheet. (Although is slighly smaller sheets, 900mm * 600 mm, rather than 1000mm * 600 mm from TW).

Undoubtedly other alternatives, such as that in the Lyra pictures, are cheaper, but presumably don't take out quite as much noise as something that actually has a heavy "artificial lead" barrier layer embedded in the middle ?

when i was out last weekend i got some old underlay and laid it over the rear deck on top of the deck boards.it made the engine noise a lot quieter and i wondered whether this was a feasible solution.i then googled "rubber mats" and came up with horse mats which are about 20 mm thick non porous and rot proof.

i thought i could simply lay the matting on the rear deck with a join etc to get at the fuel cut off and elec cut off when i need to.when the boat is not in use i guess the mat could come up and be stored elsewhere to give it a longer life .horse mats withstand being stood on (by horses!) so should be durable and the cost isnt too outrageous...about £100 to do the deck.

it will mean making sure i dont create a flooding problem at the rear doors by raising the step and cutting the bottom off the doors so they fit over the mats(or else fitting rtising butt hinges)

is this a mad idea ???

is it any good for people who nag? I could do with a bit of that sometimes... something quick and swift to wrap them up in? Infact, some for myself might be good too!