Advice on Winding 50 foot Boat North of Marsworth

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I need to take Chalice up through Marsworth beyond the obvious winding point at the end of the Aylesbury Arm, but then turn her as soon as possible for a return trip.

I will not possibly have the time to go to the next official winding hole at Slapton, and assume that Grebe Cruisers would take a dim view of me trying to turn at their basin, (which looks "interesting" unless some of the big boats are not there).

The only place I can see where a 50 footer might turn is in the short pound between the two "lower Marsworth" locks, numbers 38 and 37.

Google Earth would seem to suggest more that 50 foot should turn, provided the depth is there.

However I know that pound is often low......

Have any of the GU locals tried to turn a boat at that point, or witnessed anybody else succeed or fail, please ?

Although it looks possible, I'm tempted not to try, as I don't have a plan B if it fails!

I've turned on the corner in front of Grebe a couple of times without anybody complaining at me. I'd use that as a plan B, but I reckon you'd probably get round OK between the 2 locks. It's easy enough to let water down to top that pound up if it's a bit low.

(Had to think for a few moments, you confused me by referring to "up" presumably because it's Northwards when my brain would call it "down" because it's downwards)

Edited by Keeping Up

I will not possibly have the time to go to the next official winding hole at Slapton, and assume that Grebe Cruisers would take a dim view of me trying to turn at their basin

Obviously I don't know the place, I guess they could get stroppy if you just turned in and did it, but unlikely to refuse if you gave them a ring beforehand, explained your predicament and asked their permission?

If you do, get a name, then if you get "oi mate, you ain't allowed to turn here" you've got "it's okay, I spoke to Fred on Wednesday and he said it would be alright".

I'm 99% certain I've seen the trip boat, the 'Electric Brick' wind in this pound. I seem to recall we followed the boat along this length from their yard at its top speed of 0.5mph...... They went up the lock then we had to wait while they faffed about winding and coming down again before we could use the lock.

Member 'Ray' is a steerer of this boat, hopefully he will confirm this later.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I have seen 70 ft go round in the pound between 38 and 37 so you should be OK. Make sure the pound is full if you have a deep bow.

If you have a little more time you can get 70 ft round about 70ft below the middle of the Nags Head Three ( aka Pumphouse, lock 35) where the stream runs in on the right. Last time I was there tyou needed to get right up to the small treee which had fallen across the stream.

Regards

N

Edited to get the numbers right!

Edited by BEngo

Thanks for all replies.

I'm kind of surprised that anyone thinks the pound I've indicated could support turning 70 feet. I'd estimate (from Google Earth), that it's no wider than about 60 feet, but I could be wrong.

I'd not thought of any possibility around the lock with the pump-house, either - Google Earth shows too many trees to make any assessment.

Perhaps we'll give it a go after all.

Thanks for all replies.

I'm kind of surprised that anyone thinks the pound I've indicated could support turning 70 feet. I'd estimate (from Google Earth), that it's no wider than about 60 feet, but I could be wrong.

I'd not thought of any possibility around the lock with the pump-house, either - Google Earth shows too many trees to make any assessment.

Perhaps we'll give it a go after all.

Hi Alan,

I've turned Blue Pearl there a couple of times, she's 58' and we got round easily.

Cheers

Les

Hi Alan,

I've turned Blue Pearl there a couple of times, she's 58' and we got round easily.

Cheers

Les

Marvellous Les,

Many thanks.

That's what I was really hoping for - someone who definitely has, rather than they are fairly confident they have seen someone do it.

If 58 feet will go, I shouldn't embarrass myself with 50 !

That's what I was really hoping for - someone who definitely has, rather than they are fairly confident they have seen someone do it.

Thanks for your confidence in my confidence..... :lol:

The Electric Brick is a huge, wide beam trip boat, I would say at least 60 foot by probably 14. I'm confident enough to put money on it going round there.

I recall a similar thread to this a year or 2 back when Chris JW ?? asked for the same advice. Have tried to find the thread but the search function is no more use than ornament......

Are you out there Chris or Ray..... :lol:

Thanks for your confidence in my confidence..... :lol:

Fair enough, but you did say 99% confident, I think :lol: , so nice to have the 1% doubt removed!

Also, I was just a bit concerned about why Grebe would be wanting to turn it so close to it's home base. Normally it's out at least 1.5 hours, I think. It's about 65 foot, I think, so I'm guessing would be very tight indeed.

Fair enough, but you did say 99% confident, I think :lol: , so nice to have the 1% doubt removed!

Also, I was just a bit concerned about why Grebe would be wanting to turn it so close to it's home base. Normally it's out at least 1.5 hours, I think. It's about 65 foot, I think, so I'm guessing would be very tight indeed.

IIRC, part of the faffing around involved running water down to fill the pound to the point where it could turn.

Here's the Chris JW post from last year....

clicky

I need to take Chalice up through Marsworth beyond the obvious winding point at the end of the Aylesbury Arm, but then turn her as soon as possible for a return trip.

I will not possibly have the time to go to the next official winding hole at Slapton, and assume that Grebe Cruisers would take a dim view of me trying to turn at their basin, (which looks "interesting" unless some of the big boats are not there).

The only place I can see where a 50 footer might turn is in the short pound between the two "lower Marsworth" locks, numbers 38 and 37.

Google Earth would seem to suggest more that 50 foot should turn, provided the depth is there.

However I know that pound is often low......

Have any of the GU locals tried to turn a boat at that point, or witnessed anybody else succeed or fail, please ?

Although it looks possible, I'm tempted not to try, as I don't have a plan B if it fails!

The big trip boat from Grebe turns between those locks so you will be fine. I have turned a 50 footer also just below lock 37 too.

Chris

I thought there had been a previous thread on this, but could I find the bloody thing ? :lol:

I'm still surprised about being able to turn 70 feet there, as Google Earth clearly shows boats in that area, (presumably about 70 feet), that measure up considerably more in length than the distance between the two banks. I guess there must be some distortion based on how images are taken ?

I've seen 70ft boats turn there. Tight, but it can be done. Has to be immediately below lock 38 and turn clockwise coming down the hill. Off side is fairly shallow in that pound.

The diesel trip boat will go round below lock 37 if you put the nose between the two trees on the off side - She's 56ft. However, our own boat won't and that's 57ft 3ins.

The electric brick normally makes about 2.5-3mph, so the 0.5mph suggestion is a bit cheeky, although I'm sure it feels like that's how slow it is going when you're following it.

Apologies for the delay in replying, currently heading north on the Lee Navigation.

When we had the 45ft trip boat we could turn south of bridge 130, outside the White Lion, above lock 39 as ChrisW says, on the bend between 39 and 40 and above 40. We regularly turn 60ft above 41 and, if memory serves me correct, 56ft will go round just above 42 (and I have a suspicion that you can also turn the same size just below 42)

56ft goes round comfortably at Tring station (south of the bridge). It is a bit tighter but was possible at the north end of the buffer depot (a bit further south in the cutting) a few years back. Further north, 55ft will go round midway between 32 and 33 (56ft will as well if you get the location dead right) and also at the end of the farm buildings above Horton lock (with the same caveat - that you get the location spot on).

Hope that helps.