Learning the ropes

Mandy

Featured Posts

I am happily settling in at Barton (thanks to lots of helpful people) and am practising lone boating - just returned from King's Bromley overnighter, 10 locks per day. Question to other lone boaters - is there an easier way to do locks than moor, prepare lock, untie, into lock, do paddles, out, moor, go back, close gates, untie, go?

On wide locks, if you are on your own, generally that is what you have to do, although if it's not too windy you can get away with exiting by one gate and stopping the boat in the right place just outside the gate to hop off with a long rope (stern or possibly centre) and shut the gate before stepping back on and driving away (being careful that your prop-wash doesn't open the gate again.

On narrow locks there are loads and loads of tricks you can use. Going downhill after leaving a lock, just like the wide lock example above, the boat will usually wait in the lock tail while you close the gates on even quite a windy day (still best to take a rope though). There are other options involving shutting the gates with a boathook or pulling them behind you with the stern rope.

Going up a narrow lock you have loads of options, including putting the bows of the boat into the lower gate as you arreive, and putting it into forward gear before walking along the gunwales until you can get off. When you have emptied the lock, the boat will puch open the gates and come into the lock all by itself (though you need a way to stop it before it hits the cill, either with a rope or by jumping back on again). In the lock you can put it back into gear so it rests against the top gate, then pushes it open and leaves the lock all by itself; as the stern passes you. knock it into reverse and it will travel a length while you shut the gate then come back to you; you just step back on and re-engage forward gear.

None of these tricks will work on a windy day; they all need you to know the handling of your boat quite well; and they all go wrong occasionally so that once in a while your boat will go off without you!

I am happily settling in at Barton (thanks to lots of helpful people) and am practising lone boating - just returned from King's Bromley overnighter, 10 locks per day. Question to other lone boaters - is there an easier way to do locks than moor, prepare lock, untie, into lock, do paddles, out, moor, go back, close gates, untie, go?

Yes but it is something that you'll either learn, with experience, or a seasoned boater will demonstrate, to you.

It's complicated to write down the methods.

On wide locks, if you are on your own, generally that is what you have to do, although if it's not too windy you can get away with exiting by one gate and stopping the boat in the right place just outside the gate to hop off with a long rope (stern or possibly centre) and shut the gate before stepping back on and driving away (being careful that your prop-wash doesn't open the gate again.

On narrow locks there are loads and loads of tricks you can use. Going downhill after leaving a lock, just like the wide lock example above, the boat will usually wait in the lock tail while you close the gates on even quite a windy day (still best to take a rope though). There are other options involving shutting the gates with a boathook or pulling them behind you with the stern rope.

Going up a narrow lock you have loads of options, including putting the bows of the boat into the lower gate as you arreive, and putting it into forward gear before walking along the gunwales until you can get off. When you have emptied the lock, the boat will puch open the gates and come into the lock all by itself (though you need a way to stop it before it hits the cill, either with a rope or by jumping back on again). In the lock you can put it back into gear so it rests against the top gate, then pushes it open and leaves the lock all by itself; as the stern passes you. knock it into reverse and it will travel a length while you shut the gate then come back to you; you just step back on and re-engage forward gear.

None of these tricks will work on a windy day; they all need you to know the handling of your boat quite well; and they all go wrong occasionally so that once in a while your boat will go off without you!

Thanks - really good stuff. I did try leaving the boat just past the gates when I closed them, but there was a run off there and the boat got sucked against it and I found it difficult to get it out again!

Always worth being over safe,i even use a life jacket in deep wide lockes, like Cranfleet or Kekworth,espeshaly when nobody around. Always look out for when you start to get complasent or a lock you use a lot,things can go rong very quickly and lets face it boating is supost to be fun so slow down and enjoy.

Feel I must mention this. It's very risky leaving a boat in reverse, many people have died by falling in at the stern and been dragged in and killed by the prop. I never hear of people being warned of this by fleet owners. Better to take your time and stay safe.

Feel I must mention this. It's very risky leaving a boat in reverse, many people have died by falling in at the stern and been dragged in and killed by the prop. I never hear of people being warned of this by fleet owners. Better to take your time and stay safe.

Hi ,there is a article in canal boat mag which a chap as invented a remote control for a single boater, but it cost about £1500.

:lol: Many people ? yes be carefull but the facts r that many, many more people drown in the bath each year than ever die on narrowboats !!!

Good luck Mandy with everything and as has been said - enjoy - it's not worth the rushing about - you miss so much.

I know people have accidents boating and sadly some die - however not as dangerous palm trees - about 90 people die a year from falling coconuts! :lol:

Good luck Mandy with everything and as has been said - enjoy - it's not worth the rushing about - you miss so much.

I know people have accidents boating and sadly some die - however not as dangerous palm trees - about 90 people die a year from falling coconuts! :lol:

It's not that I'm in a hurry - it's more trying to save my poor aching muscles! At least until they become accustomed to all the unfamiliar movements. (that's not a reference to toilets by the way)

I have to say I'm not overly worried about dying - by locks or nuts!