DO I need my own insurance for boat Haluage?

Scotty D

Featured Posts

I will be getting my own Boat insurance anyway, but was wondering if I need to rush and get it done before getting the boat Hauled down to London?

Any advice?

Scotty

We didn't need it 3 years ago, we were running under the broker's at the time though.

The haulage company should have insurance such as (goods in transit) But you need to make sure the level of that insurance cover is enough to cover the cost of replacing your boat if totally written off.

Your boat insurance might cover you for transport, you need to check this out though, they usually cover you for cranage, ours is once per year or 2 lifts you can request more or some policy's might have more.

You may also have to pay any cran hire company for additional insurance. again ask for what level of insurance they are covered for. But some times they will ask for another additional insurance payments if operating on private land not owned by you but you have permission to use that land for cranage. We've had to pay this a couple of times around £150.00

I will be getting my own Boat insurance anyway, but was wondering if I need to rush and get it done before getting the boat Hauled down to London?

Any advice?

Scotty

You will need, or at least I did, to get your oqn transit insurance.

Check with your boat insurance if transit is covered in the policy, mine wasn't.

J

The haulier will probably have goods in transit insurance based on RHA conditions, probably insured at £15 per ton so if your boat is written off and weighed 20 tons you would receive £300. He will have PL insurance in case of an injury up to millions

You need to insure the boat yourself

Charles

You need to insure the boat yourself

Only if the hauliers insurance doesnt cover the load.

Our removal 7.5 ton trucks are covered up to 30,000 per load. Boat hauliers should have a decent level of insurance, that's why I suggested check with them first, no point in paying twice for insurance :lol:

I would strongly recomend you take out insurance. I don't know how much you paid for your boat but think the extra £50/60 would be well worth it. That is what I paid Craftinsure when I moved my boat and that covered crane both ends. I used to own a haulage company and I know how long it can be before some of these goods in transit insurances can take to pay out and if it is a large claim then the insurance company will do everything they can to delay and ultimatly hopefully not pay out. We had to fight for 3 years on one large claim as the insurance company for the third party refused to pay because the driver was 8 mins over his legal limit.

My advise in this case would be if you are on a tight budget make savings elsewhere.

I would strongly recomend you take out insurance. I don't know how much you paid for your boat but think the extra £50/60 would be well worth it. That is what I paid Craftinsure when I moved my boat and that covered crane both ends. I used to own a haulage company and I know how long it can be before some of these goods in transit insurances can take to pay out and if it is a large claim then the insurance company will do everything they can to delay and ultimatly hopefully not pay out. We had to fight for 3 years on one large claim as the insurance company for the third party refused to pay because the driver was 8 mins over his legal limit.

My advise in this case would be if you are on a tight budget make savings elsewhere.

This is very good advice. Anybody who is thinking of relying on the hauliers insurance should remember that:

you are not the insurer's customer and therefore have no direct contractual relationship with the insurer,

you have no idea of any restrictions on the policy,

you have no way of knowing that the policy is still in force on the date of the transit (e.g the haulier might have defaulted on the premium payment).

It is probably wise to check the level of insurance cover provided by your hauler, and supplement it, if it is inadequate. However you need to remember that writing off a boat through any failure on the part of the haulier is still his responsibility, whether he has insurance or not. Insurance is just that, purchased to indemnify the contractor against the cost of any damage or injury caused through his negligence etc. it is does not absolve him from legal liability.

The problem is that you would praobably have to ttake him to court, and he may not have sufficient resources to cover the loss (although his lorry shiould be worth quite a bit).

Edited by David Schweizer

Any advice?

Scotty

I doubt whether your boat insurance would give you complete cover for haulage transit. There is also the risk when the boat is craned /lifted. As others have said it only cost us an extra 50 quid for insurance in transit including craneage at both ends, when Earnest was carted off to Ireland. The insurance company still wanted to know the names of the firms we were using for transit and craneage.

P&S and our transport driver came out with some horror stories of narrowboat lifting* and transport when Earnest was being loaded!

lifting*

including a recent cock-up, rather close to home :lol: