For the "know all" fools who think...............

Gibbo

Featured Posts

From a sparkies point of view,the picture of the earth cables being bonded to the Hull shows an earth cable that is of a lesser diameter than the other cables,if it was a house or industrial install,the earth wire would be greater than the power wires.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance and the cable with the larger diameter has the least resistance

if i had a steel boat,i would ensure that all metal surfaces were bonded back to the main earth

an earth loop impedance test might be a good idea also.

From a sparkies point of view,the picture of the earth cables being bonded to the Hull shows an earth cable that is of a lesser diameter than the other cables,if it was a house or industrial install,the earth wire would be greater than the power wires.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance and the cable with the larger diameter has the least resistance

if i had a steel boat,i would ensure that all metal surfaces were bonded back to the main earth

Seconded; an essential test that is rarely mentioned on this forum.

So all metal surfaces have to be 'bonded' to 'earth'.

Scenario: stainless steal sink fitted into a non-conductive work surface (ie.wood), tap(s) supplied by plastic piping waste is also plastic.

Answer(s)...................................................

So all metal surfaces have to be 'bonded' to 'earth'.

Scenario: stainless steal sink fitted into a non-conductive work surface (ie.wood), tap(s) supplied by plastic piping waste is also plastic.

Answer(s)...................................................

Yes. Precisely because it's isolated from earth.

I can imagine a (pretty far-fetched) scenario in which a faulty appliance is in contact with the sink, making it live. Unbonded it stays live, bonded it is earthed and less likely to electrocute anybody touching it.

The picture towards the start of the thread shows the earth bonding cable from the 240V (low current system hence thin cables) and the 12V negative earthing (high current system hence thick cables) hence this is correctly wired up. The 240V earth cable will be the same size or most probably larger than the 240V distribuution cables, it certainly is on my boat.

Yes. Precisely because it's isolated from earth.

I can imagine a (pretty far-fetched) scenario in which a faulty appliance is in contact with the sink, making it live. Unbonded it stays live, bonded it is earthed and less likely to electrocute anybody touching it.

I was surprised when we had a new kitchen installed at home last year. No earth bonding at all! None of those odd little clips attached to every metal pipe, sink, etc.

Apparently the new IEE Regulations do not require it, possibly because the protection concept is based on RCDs instead of earth bonding. Does that make sense?

I was surprised when we had a new kitchen installed at home last year. No earth bonding at all! None of those odd little clips attached to every metal pipe, sink, etc.

Apparently the new IEE Regulations do not require it, possibly because the protection concept is based on RCDs instead of earth bonding. Does that make sense?

Where did TerryL go - he would probably help us out with that one! :lol:

Richard

I am only qualified to 16th edition, but the sparks at work tell me that bonding has been relaxed somewhat owing to the compulsory fitting of RCD's. Sinks no longer require a bond; my home wiring has just passed part P without same (itbugs me paying somebody to do this part P crap :lol: )