Week from Preston Brook

Paul@CW

Featured Posts

Off out on the 16th from Preston Brook for a week. No point in heading North due to the breach so will head South towards Middlewich. Our crew is a little light this time and as her inside the doors doesn't like steering much she will be lock crew with my 5 year old son. Needless to say we will not be breaking any speed and distance records :rolleyes:

I can't decide which way to go when I get to Middlewich. Anyone care to share their thoughts as to which way they would go in my situation and why?

Cheers all.

Down to Barbridge, then depending on what sort of canals you like, either up the Llangollen or south to Market drayton. If you go up the Llangollen, turn round when you are halfway through your time, and you will find you gain a bit coming back due to the flow.

Remember that once you pass Thomason's winding hole just above Wrenbury, you are committed to going nearly to Whitchuch, above Grindley brook (although, depending on the length of your boat, you can turn in the pound immediately below the staircase, above the first three).

If you have not done the Llangollen before, I can thouroughly recommend it. Let me know if you want more info on it.

Thanks dor. I did that route in May and enjoyed it very much. Turned just above Grindley Brook. Had something to eat in the cafe by the locks and saw them flooded by another boat crew.

Its a really impressive sight when that much water flies down the lockside and down the towpath under the bridge below. Lucky there was no one walking there at the time. Needless to say the locky, who has popped in for a cuppa, was not best pleased !

I think I may head down to Market Drayton as you suggest as I seem to recall that even though you have the locks at Audlem they are not too bad to opperate and well maintained (or they were a few years back).

Those bywashes at some of the locks on the Llangollen are sods aren't they?

From Nantwich, there are I think 22 locks to M.D. The Audlem flight is 15, but they are well maintained and fill reasonably quickly. A couple of hours will normally see you through once you are through the first lock.

You can knock on the side of Richard's boat as well as you go through.

Llangollen sidewashes - yes very entertaining, but I've pretty well got them sussed now.

The sausages & bacon (Maynards) in the Grindley Brook shop are also highly recommended.

If you fancy something a bit quieter and can cope with wide locks, going north from Barbridge towards Chester is very nice. Good scenery and historical locks at Beeston. Also plenty of good eating places. Chester itself is not too good, although I doubt you will get that far in a week.

Arthur

Off out on the 16th from Preston Brook for a week. No point in heading North due to the breach so will head South towards Middlewich. Our crew is a little light this time and as her inside the doors doesn't like steering much she will be lock crew with my 5 year old son. Needless to say we will not be breaking any speed and distance records  :rolleyes:

I can't decide which way to go when I get to Middlewich. Anyone care to share their thoughts as to which way they would go in my situation and why?

Cheers all.

25016[/snapback]

Paul, I'm moored at Preston Brook and the canal is filling up now. Several cruisers left the marina today and they reckon the narrowboats will be able to leave in a couple of days or so. Having said that, I think the routes suggested above are nicer anyway.

Although Big Lock gates at Middlewich are heavy the rest are not bad, I would turn right when you reach the junction through Middlewich and go up the branch, once you get through those 5 locks there are no more till you reach Hack Green and you can have a pleasant cruise along the Shroppie. Although if you want to go straight up the T&M Wheelock is a decent stopping place, though after that you start on Heartbreak Hill.

Edited by Bernie

So many choices :-)

Seeing as "the missus" says she doesn't mind working the locks we've narrowed it down to either past Audlem and carry on down the Shroppie or up Heartbreak Hill and turn onto the Mac just before the tunnel and head up there a little way. Have not been up the Mac before as I've always gone through Harecastle on my way round the ring.

Does anyone know what its like up that part of the Macclesfield? Is it countryside or towns? My Cheshire Ring Pearson's has been convieniently ripped up by my 18 month old daughter.

David and Julie, thanks for the info. Have you met my Dad John at Claymoore?

Anyway if anyone see's us out and about or moored say hello. We'll be on one of the boats ending in "Castle". Not sure which yet but hopefully Beeston.

No point in heading North due to the breach so will head South towards Middlewich.

25016[/snapback]

Most of the Bridgewater is now open again.. Preston Brook to Barton and to Castlefield. The tank remains closed, but only until the end of the week officials say.

To be honest, I don't think it will be open due to the differences in level, unless.. they have some sort of paddle arrangement which they could open before the gates. That'd make sense.

The water levels are still alot lower than the norm.. but because it's generally a wide/deep canal there's still plenty of water in it. I was out this weekend messing about with my dinghy and I found out it's about 5ft deep in the middle :rolleyes:

Loads of water for cruisin'