EmilyAnne to trent lock.

Featured Posts

Im off again today.

- Hopefully we'll get a caot of paint all over her now that shes all rubbed down, and then where off!

- Trent lock SBA rally 9-10th and then off around the system, somewhere.

There no internet conection on the boat, and we dont know how its going to go, where exactly where going to go, or anything. So if you see us, give us a good wave!

- See you around.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well! - 14 days since ive been on a computer at all!

- Im staying the night at someones house while my granddad nips down to Bolton for a day.

We got down to the rally at trentlock, although not without incident. One day it rained non-stop for 3hours, so we put the wheel house up, and promptly smashed it off on a low bridge. DOH!!

- That made a right mess broke all the frame, and smashed some of the glass, although fortunately my new roof wasn’t on at the time!

- We had a day in hand, so we stayed a day outside Jannel Cruisers in Burton and took all the splintered parts to a friend of my grandad who stuck the whole lot together with polyurethane adhesive, in less than a day, including straightening out the window frames and fitting new glass! (photos as soon as i get home)

We then got the trent lock the next day in perfect time for the rally.

- Saturday we all went up the Trent for a pub lunch (at the plough) and the back again for a 'formal' meal.

- Then Sunday about half the boats went up the erewash (the others went to shardlow)

- Then most people set off to various slipways to pullout and go home. We stayed another night at the sailing club, and went to Nottingham the next day.

Where now moored at Willington for the w/end on our way back 'home'

- although where sure exactly where we're going yet!! :lol:

Daniel

Well well well! - 14 days since ive been on a computer at all!

- Im staying the night at someones house while my granddad nips down to Bolton for a day.

We got down to the rally at trentlock, although not without incident. One day it rained non-stop for 3hours, so we put the wheel house up, and promptly smashed it off on a low bridge. DOH!!

- That made a right mess broke all the frame, and smashed some of the glass, although fortunately my new roof wasn’t on at the time!

- We had a day in hand, so we stayed a day outside Jannel Cruisers in Burton and took all the splintered parts to a friend of my grandad who stuck the whole lot together with polyurethane adhesive, in less than a day, including straightening out the window frames and fitting new glass! (photos as soon as i get home)

We then got the trent lock the next day in perfect time for the rally.

- Saturday we all went up the Trent for a pub lunch (at the plough) and the back again for a 'formal' meal.

- Then Sunday about half the boats went up the erewash (the others went to shardlow)

- Then most people set off to various slipways to pullout and go home. We stayed another night at the sailing club, and went to Nottingham the next day.

Where now moored at Willington for the w/end on our way back 'home'

- although where sure exactly where we're going yet!! :lol:

Daniel

25397[/snapback]

Sounds like you're having a good time.. I'm offically jealous!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, im home again!

- The boat is now at nantwich and will be there for the next week or two.

We had a great run back home, and didnt knock any more bits off.

- We where joined my by mum at the south side of harecastle, and then by the rest of the family and one of my sisters friend for the last day from middlewich.

Im now going to go to sleep, because im nackered!

And no, no one saw us restyleing the wheel house, although a few boats did pass us while we stoped to clear up the wreakage.

- Photos tomorrow, i promiss!!

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Saw Emily Anne at Nantwich last night. The wheel house was looking very smart - is that your new roof.

Yeah, thats the new roof. She'll be staying there for the next week, then where going to Preston brook.

Anyway... How fast can EmilyAnne go?

She'll do about 6knotts in open water, if you get it right and keep the fire bright.

Daniel

Dan, are you at Preston Book for the IWA? although that isn't until the end of August.

Where are you heading for next? I'll give you a wave if you come past my moorings :lol:

Dan, are you at Preston Book for the IWA? although that isn't until the end of August.

Where are you heading for next? I'll give you a wave if you come past my moorings :smiley_offtopic:

26260[/snapback]

Well, where not part of the IWA Rally, but we are planning to be there, with the boat, yes.

- My grandads away this week, and then we're away for the fortnight after that, But the plan is for him to move the boat to preston brook (from nantwich) once he gets back, and secure a good place close-ish to the action, and then we'll join on the sunday of the IWA, once we're back from devon.

Daniel

Great pics Dan!

Hehe

That was a bad moment, i can tell you.

- But my grandad was very good about it, after about 2mins silence his first words where "Right.. ..well.. ..better take some photos"

Daniel

We went last, apparently so that it would only me us breathing in our own smoke, although we'd got the fire all ready, so there was not green coal on at all, just glowing nice. Anyway, we set off, seventh boat, with 5 or narrowboat, then a small grp cruiser, then us.

We got about 400m fairly well, although by now it was clear that the guy was a novice, we had soon caught up, and then it was clear that he was have a lot of trouble keeping in the centre of the tunnel, and kept bashing into the sides as he zig-zaged along scraping off his sticking up windscreen thingy.

Than he got a bit slower, and we had to slow down so as not to hit him, and as a consequence began to 'blow-off' as we where making more steam than we where using, which didnt help visibility at all!

Then it got slower and slower, when at one point we had to stop compleatly for seveal minutes while i got unstuck again, by which time we had lost all steer-ablity and where relying on the bow thrusters to keep up straight at all.

By the time we got to the midway point we'de been in there over an hour, and where only progressing verrrryyyy slowly. Time for some action!

I went up to the bow with a torch, and called to him asking if he where ok? He said he was having some trouble, so i asked if i could help, but he said i couldn?t. But i could see he was really struggling, and had broken some of the glass in his windscreen, and it was very painful to watch as he smashed in to the tunnel side, again, and again, and again.

By this time we where still barely half way still, just at the start of the narrowest bit, where he seamed to be having much more trouble.

- So i called to him again, and asking if he wanted me to come aboard, he said he though that would be good, so i got him to reverse upto our bow (as his boat would not harm ours i he over shot a bit, where as the otherway round would be bad!) Then i climb down onto his boat, over our bow, and joined him 'mid-tunnel'

I offered to take the helm, which he agree might be good, so i did. And i soon found out what he was up against. The head wind from the fans was so great that as soon as you got off centre, and from the wheel it was almost impossible to get it off again! So I asked him if you could get to the foredeck, and he said he could, if that would help. So I said I though it would. Then at least he could hold the bow of, while I drove forwards. This worked well, he held the bow in the centre, while I slowly steered forwards though the narrow bit. Then as I got wider, and the effect of the wind was less I could keep it straight without assistance, so after he?d not need to fend off for some time, and it was getting wider, He came back and joined me, although he was more than happy to let be carry on as helm (I did ask) We started talking a bit then. He was obviously quite shaken by the whole event, apparently he?d only being doing it for about 10months,

- So I started to talk about how I?d been doing it for years, and how difficult it was against the head wind, and how I don?t think I could have done it without him on the foredeck, atleast not in the narrow bit, and how he?d just got into a bad situation, and how it happens to all of us (I talked about how we ran out of steam going to Preston, and how we knocked down the wheelhouse the week before etc) And said that if he where doing it again he would be better off getting tow though or having a 2nd person, and just general stuff to make him feel better really.

Anyway, we got out eventually, after nearly 2hours! Of cause no one know what had happen, so as I emerged, over an hour late, I got some of the funniest looks from the 20odd boats waiting to go south! And as soon as we got out it was clear quite how shaken he was, he looked a right mess, poor fellow, and I?ve never seen someone get though a fag to fast! And it all wasn?t really his fault.

Daniel -

Passed Emily Anne again tonight - I looked hard for evidence of the bridge incidence but couldn't see anything obvious - All credit to you and grandfather for doing an excellent job on the cabin. You should be very pleased with your roof ( and very impressed with your garndfather's self-control - going by your earlier description of his comments - I don't think I could exercise such control in similar circumstances!)

Dan.. What was the cruiser called?

And, nice of you to offer assistance instead of shouting and cursing like most probably would!

The cruser was called "The Willow"

- I was goin to take a photo, with the man, but that seamed a little harsh!

As for helping, that just common sence.

- He was obviouly having a very bad time, and shouting wount of help.

- And anyway, i couldnt stand to see him damage boat and get put off boating.

Daniel