Black Prince boats.

captain rosie

Featured Posts

Hi all, as this forum is always a wealth of knowledge I thought you may know the history of my boat. It's a Black Prince, ex-cruiser, 55ft long, made in 1989. I bought it at at evesham. It has a kubota engine, is that original? It also has very large windows at the front of the boat, which I have never seen on another boat, is this rare? I'd be really interested if anyone has any nuggets of infomation they could give me! I don't really know anything about my boat!

Hi all, as this forum is always a wealth of knowledge I thought you may know the history of my boat. It's a Black Prince, ex-cruiser, 55ft long, made in 1989. I bought it at at evesham. It has a kubota engine, is that original? It also has very large windows at the front of the boat, which I have never seen on another boat, is this rare? I'd be really interested if anyone has any nuggets of infomation they could give me! I don't really know anything about my boat!

I think you should find this site pretty helpful:

Black Prince Owners Club

I presume you have a QE fleet boat. I supposed so named to suggest it was as luxurius as the QE2!

Paul H

It's more like a floating bedsit than the QE2! But I like it! Thanks for the link.

Hello Captain Rosie - always pleased to find a fellow Black Prince boat owner. Dan's website is a useful resource for finding out a bit about the history of your boat (mine's on there as "Lacewing" built 97-98) as well as noseying at other people's!

Hello Captain Rosie - always pleased to find a fellow Black Prince boat owner. Dan's website is a useful resource for finding out a bit about the history of your boat (mine's on there as "Lacewing" built 97-98) as well as noseying at other people's!

Hello Bluestring,

It is a great web site, out of interest have you insulated your black prince? I haven't (yet) but am planning to! These hire boat aren't made for winter ha ha! I have fitted a morso squirrel in though.

Also, I was in the pub with other boatee types and they rather smirked at my craft, is having an ex-hire boat seen as a bit rubbish? I love my boat and find the old girl has plenty of life in her yet, with a bit of TLC mind. :lol:

Also, I was in the pub with other boatee types and they rather smirked at my craft, is having an ex-hire boat seen as a bit rubbish? I love my boat and find the old girl has plenty of life in her yet, with a bit of TLC mind. :lol:

It happens. I've owned 2 boats to date. Both ex-hire and there are a few who will look down their nose. No different to car world where some drivers will look down their nose at others.

Hi 'Rosie

Glad you liked my website.

Hopefully you found your way to the boat listing page & could identify what your boat was called when with BP etc.

If you have let me know, it's possible I may have further info or pictures of her

Best Wishes

Dan

Hello Bluestring,

It is a great web site, out of interest have you insulated your black prince? I haven't (yet) but am planning to! These hire boat aren't made for winter ha ha! I have fitted a morso squirrel in though.

Well, we haven't so much as had people look down their noses at talk of our boat, but there have been a couple of arsey shiny-boat owners thinking we were hirers and being very unpleasant (and quite dangerous) out on the water. Why some people are like that to hirers is beyond me. And why they think we're a hire boat when the old BP livery has been painted out and we have a wind-turbine and flowers and stuff on the roof is equally beyiond me. We love our boat, despite the odd scratch and dent.

As for insulation, the old poystyrene, which although not very effectively used as insulation (BP left a few gaps here and there) was fine last winter and we only had one Boatman stove to heat the whole boat. This year we'd added pine tonuge-and-groove cladding to the walls because we like the look, but have found it to have had a massive effect on the insulation. Like I said although we weren't cold last year, this year we're much warmer still.

Well, we haven't so much as had people look down their noses at talk of our boat, but there have been a couple of arsey shiny-boat owners thinking we were hirers and being very unpleasant (and quite dangerous) out on the water. Why some people are like that to hirers is beyond me. And why they think we're a hire boat when the old BP livery has been painted out and we have a wind-turbine and flowers and stuff on the roof is equally beyiond me. We love our boat, despite the odd scratch and dent.

As for insulation, the old poystyrene, which although not very effectively used as insulation (BP left a few gaps here and there) was fine last winter and we only had one Boatman stove to heat the whole boat. This year we'd added pine tonuge-and-groove cladding to the walls because we like the look, but have found it to have had a massive effect on the insulation. Like I said although we weren't cold last year, this year we're much warmer still.

Pathetic isn't it that people have such attitudes that a ) they treat hirers as sub-human and b ) make assumptions about people in ex-hire boats.

Personally going by the look of the boats in our Marina (Wigrams Turn) where a lot of current Black Prince hire boats and a few privatly owned ex-hire ones they look pretty good to me inside and out (especially the more modern ones) with robust hulls. I can't see why there should be an issue and there are possible advantages in buying an ex-hire boat.

Edited by churchward

I Think the boat you are talking about has the huge "conservatory" windows at the front with a down stepped gunwale.

if i am right then i have to say that when i first saw one i did think "omg thats a bit weired", but now whenever i see them i think "god thats unusual".

do i like them? well yes i think i do, i like the way that you can see out of both windows without having to stnd up, the thing i dont like is that they dont have any windows in the galley (have i got the right style of boat?).

i also find it slightly "offensive" when certain "private" boaters sneer at those that buy ex hire boats, i have a very fond feeling for ex hire boats. in my opinion they seem to have been well looked after (engines/paintwork/interior is generally fitted out practically for families etc etc

if we all discounted ex hire boats when we were looking for our next/first boat then where would they all end up??

Nik

We have just got a ex BP hire boat 'penny' rubber bumper type :lol: . I absolutley love it :lol: As with all boat owners we choose the boat that suits us the best ,and one that wecan afford(well most of the time anyway). We have not sold our old boat yet which is the boat water lily that the collins's retired on to. Some people are just snobs! Boating is mostly full of wonderful friendly helpful people who are a joy to be around. Hirer or private. The others are few and far between thankfully.

I Think the boat you are talking about has the huge "conservatory" windows at the front with a down stepped gunwale.

if i am right then i have to say that when i first saw one i did think "omg thats a bit weired", but now whenever i see them i think "god thats unusual".

do i like them? well yes i think i do, i like the way that you can see out of both windows without having to stnd up, the thing i dont like is that they dont have any windows in the galley (have i got the right style of boat?).

i also find it slightly "offensive" when certain "private" boaters sneer at those that buy ex hire boats, i have a very fond feeling for ex hire boats. in my opinion they seem to have been well looked after (engines/paintwork/interior is generally fitted out practically for families etc etc

if we all discounted ex hire boats when we were looking for our next/first boat then where would they all end up??

Nik

Your spot on with the boat shape. The windows are enormous but it's great. Lots of light and the swans come right up to the glass! I got an ex-hire boat because I knew it would have been maintained well. If not a bit dented and well used! The only rudeness I've ever come across on the cut was a rather snotty lady I shared a lock with. Her boat was all shiney mushrooms and flower pots on the roof., Clean ropes and all that rose painted paraphenalia. I think there was even rosie and jim dolls! She looked at my roof, covered in plastic sheeting (it doubles as a shed) piles of logs, plastic boxes. The boat needs a repaint, the stove leaves black marks and she said "your boats awfully untidy" to which I replied, "well, I do live on it". I swear she then said "well, your letting us all down and making the canals look messy". I was lost for words. My boats not perfect but it's hardly steptoes yard!