Supalux

Lee J

Featured Posts

Thanks Priston, next question...

Does anybody know anything else that's suitable? The supalux is coming in at £100 a sheet (8' x 4'), if I could get a half sheet that would be just about do-able but it's a bit steep when all I need is a couple of 2' x 3' bits!

Howarth timber have mentioned a "multi purpose board" that they now stock instead of supalux, anybody heard of it?

Lee

Edited 'cos I'm dumb.

Edited by Lee J

Just typed Supalux into the search and it's come up with loads of threads! Just reading through them now. I know somebody who knows somebody that sells fireplaces though, that's got to be worth a go.

Lee

Caution! The paper coating isn't - plasterboard slows down the penetration of fire (30 minutes, one hour, etc) but doesn't insulate permanently against high temperatures.

Fire retardent and the normal types of plasterboard are only rated as such if they have a 3-4 mm. skim of plaster on them. Travis Perkins sell a branded form of supalux. Also you could do worse than run a bead of intumiscent mastic along the edges. Good luck. Regards Steve P.

All, I'm looking for some supalux to back my hearth. Does anybody know of any national stockists that I will be able to get some from.

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee,

B+Q did have a cement board in 3 x 2 sheets which I, used this is not aquapanel. I tested this before use by heating a piece with a blow torch for a considerrable time with now ill effects. I have also found that when our stove is on the ceramic tiles get too hot too touch but when i feel the other side of the ply wood that i fixed the cement board to there is no heat build up. Our Stove has been fitted nearly two yars and all is ok.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by buggsy

I do have an air gap behind the potential boardso there is even more room for cooling.

I have considered aquapanel , has anybody any experience of this?

I'll certainly try the Travis Perkins toute though.

Lee

I do have an air gap behind the potential boardso there is even more room for cooling.

Lee

Hi Lee,

the cement board is only 5 to 6 mm thick where as aqua panel is a lot thicker

Steve

Hi Lee,

the cement board is only 5 to 6 mm thick where as aqua panel is a lot thicker

Steve

The thickness is not really a problem in fact it's probably an advantage. I am putting the board on a steel frame, then tiling it. As it needs to be self supporting (IE. it's not glued to any wood) then it would be bad if it were to crack with the heat.

If Aquapanel is suitable it would be perfect, because it's cheap and readily available. Will it work?

Lee

The thickness is not really a problem in fact it's probably an advantage. I am putting the board on a steel frame, then tiling it. As it needs to be self supporting (IE. it's not glued to any wood) then it would be bad if it were to crack with the heat.

If Aquapanel is suitable it would be perfect, because it's cheap and readily available. Will it work?

Lee

Just seen this. I used "Masterboard", which I got from Travis Perkins. Not water resistant, but is specifically fire retardant. It's cheaper than aquapanel and you can cut it with a jigsaw. (The Hardibacker I used for the shower CAN'T be cut with a jigsaw, so don't believe the hype when it says "easy to cut" on this stuff).

Just seen this. I used "Masterboard", which I got from Travis Perkins. Not water resistant, but is specifically fire retardant. It's cheaper than aquapanel and you can cut it with a jigsaw. (The Hardibacker I used for the shower CAN'T be cut with a jigsaw, so don't believe the hype when it says "easy to cut" on this stuff).

Thanks, I've heard masterboard mentioned a few times. I do have a travis perkins nearby so this might be a winner.

Lee

Lee

Aquapanel is moisture retardent not fire resistant. If, God forbid, you did have any sort of fire break out onboard then I should imagine that that would be a nice get out clause for the insurance company. They never need much of an excuse not to pay out. Good luck though. Steve P.

Aquapanel is moisture retardent not fire resistant. If, God forbid, you did have any sort of fire break out onboard then I should imagine that that would be a nice get out clause for the insurance company. They never need much of an excuse not to pay out. Good luck though. Steve P.

:lol::lol::lol: Yes it is, the same as plasterboard, any type of plasterboard, read the spec sheets!

Edited by wonderdust

All, I'm looking for some supalux to back my hearth. Does anybody know of any national stockists that I will be able to get some from.

Thanks

Lee

Hi

I have some for sale

Two sizes

2 X 4ft by 3ft £20.00 each

2 X 4ft by 5ft £30.00 each

All about 9 mm thick

You would have to collect from me

I live near Blackburn Lanc,s

Email

0ldade@btinternet.com

Thanks

ADE

Hi ,

you can also use viroc which is a type of supalux and is fire resistant board i used 12 mill thick for behind my fire and round the flue going through the roof !

it is approx £30 for an 8x4 sheet most good builder,s merchants will have it or any insulation stockists will have this .

hope this help,s .

Greg & jax .

Edited by Greg & Jax