Another silly question from the American

Mark Cotton

Featured Posts

Generally speaking, where does the water in the canals at higher elevation come from? Is it from lakes and rivers, or rainwater runoff, or something else?

I believe there are generally two sources - rivers and rainwater run off.

Canals like the Llangollen are fed by a river at their source and they "flow" in one direction - this also flows into another canal (Shrophire Union).

Others are fed by run-off or reservoirs.

There is some back-pumping that also goes on to get the water "back up" flights of locks - this was done where there was a general shortage of water at the upper levels.

Also, some places make extensive use of pumping from underground water tables through bore-holes.

I'd say rivers and lakes often don't feed summit levels of canals, directly, as many summits are higher than the natural water sources that surround them. As a result many summits have to be filled by massive amounts of pumping of water from sources at a lower level.

Alan

Also, some places make extensive use of pumping from underground water tables through bore-holes.

I'd say rivers and lakes often don't feed summit levels of canals, directly, as many summits are higher than the natural water sources that surround them. As a result many summits have to be filled by massive amounts of pumping of water from sources at a lower level.

Alan

While most of the back pumping today is done by modern electric pumps, there are also so very interesting earlier solutions to the problem around the network. Two examples on the K&A at Crofton and Claverton used steam power and water power respectively.

It's well worth going along to Crofton on a "steam" day to see the pump actually working. Read more HERE

While most of the back pumping today is done by modern electric pumps, there are also so very interesting earlier solutions to the problem around the network. Two examples on the K&A at Crofton and Claverton used steam power and water power respectively.

It's well worth going along to Crofton on a "steam" day to see the pump actually working. Read more HERE

I was just going to say " Crofton" - we went there this year at the end of August on a Steam day - it pumped/pumps water from the canal below it to a "spur" canal above it, to enable the use of the higher level waterway - now electric pumps do the work, but on open days they fire up the boiler and the steam does it - what staggered me was the vast size and cost of the plant needed then, with steam, boiler rooms, all manner of machinery and buildings / beams, compared to maybe a couple of tea-chest sized electric pumps nowadays - all for about 50 HP of pumping...

Nick

I agree with Nick. A visit to Crofton is well worth it. The site is open on non-steam days as well and there's a good cafe for sticky buns and beverages.

The pump pumps water from a man made lake (can't spell resa????) adjacent to the site and yes it travels along a feed to enter the canal ready for use.

Martyn

There is no such thing as a silly question (unless it is about galvanic isolators! search button only!) the question of water supplies to canals is important to all. Restored canals are often still trying to solve this question 200 years on!

Generally speaking, where does the water in the canals at higher elevation come from? Is it from lakes and rivers, or rainwater runoff, or something else?

The best book about canal water supply is Sutcliffe's Treatise on Canals and Reservoirs published in 1816. You can find a copy on Google books. I have an easier copy to read which I may produce as a short run, though at around 400 pages it would be a little expensive. I also have a pdf of an article written by BW's water engineer in the 1970s which is pretty thorough and I will try to remember to put it on my downloads site after obtaining permission.

• 2 weeks later...

On the BCN a huge volume of water came from the coalmines in the Birmingham and Black Country area. George Cadbury wanted to extend the wide Droitwich Canal to Bournville but calculated there was insufficient water to climb the Lickey Hills ( Salt Lick Hills). He missed the coal mines supply.