Something to while away the winter nights

billyb

Featured Posts

Reached the end of phase 1 after one day, just starting (or should I say startling on phase 2. This is definitely not good for getting anything else done. :lol:

I gave up on 52. After about 28 legitimate permutations, I gave up trying. If I wasn't so sad I wouldn't have tried even that long...

OOPS.

Anyway I've got a list of answers up to 53 if anyone gets really stuck.

I wouldn't mind if you could PM answers to the ones where I'd otherwise need to print something off. We've reached 35 but I find the "join the dots" etc a pain in the Harris and have stalled there for now.

Or could it be 2nd class the load is moving the boat, the effort is the rower and the fulcrum is the blade of the oar? :lol:

Correctamundo. Common error as everyone assumes the rowlock's the fulcrum because it pivots. If you think about it, the long side of an oar is from the rowlock to the water, and so if it were first class the inefficiency would increase the longer the oar. This are plainly not the case or the olympic skiffs would be competing with 6" versions rather than great long sticks. Having bored everyone rigid, I'll get back in my box.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Another pointless quiz question (but at least it's a bit boaty):

LeverClasses.jpg

What class of lever is an oar?

Sorry to be pedantic but your class one illustration would require no effort at all as the load would send it in that direction anyway.

(I know my post is irrelevant to your question, sorry)

Sorry to be pedantic but your class one illustration would require no effort at all as the load would send it in that direction anyway.

(I know my post is irrelevant to your question, sorry)

That's actually a weight shaped balloon of helium! Yes, you're right, the arrow's in the wrong direction.

I do indeed, I know you're supposed to use the letters s, m, a, d and e? But I still can't get it.

The first line is the hardest to crack, so let's come back to that.

The 9 4 = 36 is obvious

don't forget to use the "THE" in the answer

The last line 8 2 8 7 = 98 is not very difficult so I'll leave that to you.

Now for the first line 9 1 9 2 2 7 5 = 15

Look at that final 5. Treat the digits before it as a single entity whose total comes to T in some way.

Now, to get 15 as the answer, and taking the 5 into account, means that T can be equal to the following:

T = 15 - 5 = 10

T = 15 + 5 = 20

T = 15 x 5 = 75

T = 15 / 5 = 3

Just see if you can make T = to any of the above ie: the 9 1 9 2 2 7

You can manipulate the operators to make more than one of the above solutions for T but only one works of course. (as a further hint, all four operators are used in the correct solution to the first line)

use the letters: a = addition, s = subtraction, m = multiply, d = divide, e = equals (don't forget the "THE") The final sentence is 5 words including THE but doesn't make any particular sense.

If you need further help, call again.

Chris

PS: ignore mathematical "BoDMAS" rules, just work the total from left to right. ie: no operator has precedence.

eg: in true maths 2 + 3 x 4 = 24

in this riddle 2 + 3 x 4 = 20

Edited by chris w

Thats about the si2e of it!!

Type what you see.

The first line is the hardest to crack, so let's come back to that.

The 9 4 = 36 is obvious

don't forget to use the "THE" in the answer

The last line 8 2 8 7 = 98 is not very difficult so I'll leave that to you.

Now for the first line 9 1 9 2 2 7 5 = 15

Look at that final 5. Treat the digits before it as a single entity whose total comes to T in some way.

Now, to get 15 as the answer, and taking the 5 into account, means that T can be equal to the following:

T = 15 - 5 = 10

T = 15 + 5 = 20

T = 15 x 5 = 75

T = 15 / 5 = 3

Just see if you can make T = to any of the above ie: the 9 1 9 2 2 7

You can manipulate the operators to make more than one of the above solutions for T but only one works of course. (as a further hint, all four operators are used in the correct solution to the first line)

use the letters: a = addition, s = subtraction, m = multiply, d = divide, e = equals (don't forget the "THE") The final sentence is 5 words including THE but doesn't make any particular sense.

If you need further help, call again.

Chris

PS: ignore mathematical "BoDMAS" rules, just work the total from left to right. ie: no operator has precedence.

eg: in true maths 2 + 3 x 4 = 24

in this riddle 2 + 3 x 4 = 20

:lol:

(I think 2+3x4 = 14)