Flu

Byeckerslike

Featured Posts

Hi All,

SWMBO and I, have just been through a really nasty bout of flu, we love our week-and boating. I was lying bed - literally dying, thinking that if we on board our boat, just how would we cope with emptying the Thetford. I really do doubt if I could have found either the strength or motivation to change / empty the Thetford.

Just how do liveaboards cope in such dire times? Do you have super strengths / resolve, just what is your secrets?

Rob

Hi All,

SWMBO and I, have just been through a really nasty bout of flu, we love our week-and boating. I was lying bed - literally dying, thinking that if we on board our boat, just how would we cope with emptying the Thetford. I really do doubt if I could have found either the strength or motivation to change / empty the Thetford.

Just how do liveaboards cope in such dire times? Do you have super strengths / resolve, just what is your secrets?

Rob

I was liveaboard, and if I can fill up a coal bucket, clean out the fire, fill it up and light it, keep it stoked, move the boat to the pumpout and moor it up then walk to the pub, all within 10 days of open heart surgery surely you can handle emptying a cassette with a bit of a sniffle and a cough?

Wimp! :lol:

Gibbo

Hi All,

Rob

I've only had flu once when on the boat and to be honest, emptying the toilet was the last of my concerns. Luckily the fact that I didn't eat for two days held other aspects of this dilemma at bay. I now use a composting toilet, so the situation just doesn't arise - so much more pleasant than having to empty a chemical loo.

Hi All,

Rob

Only had flu once, I wouldn't be able to cope with doing anything like emptying the toilet! Recommend you have more than one cassette and a few buckets too hand!

Hi All,

Rob

If you've really got flu and not just a nasty cold, you really won't care about such trivia for a few days. All you'll want to do is lie in bed & keep warm.

Tim

If you've really got flu and not just a nasty cold, you really won't care about such trivia for a few days. All you'll want to do is lie in bed & keep warm.

Tim

Very true,

I did say that I was wondering how boaters cope with illness, this was reflected upon, once I had left my death bed, and merely recovering at deaths door! :lol:

By the time you have the flu, the will to live has gone.

I had the Spanish Flu (or bird flu whatever) when I was 9 years old. Because I recovered from it (although I temporarily was left bald and looking like an Auschwitz survivor) it gave me immunitiy which lasted 35 years. Sadly a few years ago I got it again - OMG why did no one tell me what it was like. I recall tripping over the bathmat and landing face down on the floor. The Much Beloved also had flu and tried to pick me up but was as weak as an 18 stone kitten could be - I recall spending the rest of the day covered by a duvet face down on the bathmat. I just did not care !!!

So empltying a loo - forget it, I would grab the bucket and sod emptying thetfords, stoking fires, walking to the pub, eating, or anything else.

Right now feel rotten anyhow but think its just a headcold - the annual snotfest is upon us.

Flu is really unfortunate thing to have right.... when the times that i have this i couldn't use to lay down in bed... because i can manage to stay outside because the air is cold...

A cool idea from Busby SEO Test

I suspect that cold air has very little to do with flu though. Correct me if I am wrong, but the colder it is the more the flu dies...or is that a cold. I know that Inuit's (Eskimo's in old money) never get colds.

I've only had flu once, and I was unable to function for 3 weeks. I think I went to the loo about once a day if lucky and that was by crawling or being carried as I couldn't walk. I didn't eat, and I barely drank, I soaked my sheets every night with sweat from the fever and I didn't move for over a week from bed.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, it was horrible and I never want it again.

I hope I never get in on board, as hubby would not be impressed!!

I've only had flu once, and I was unable to function for 3 weeks. I think I went to the loo about once a day if lucky and that was by crawling or being carried as I couldn't walk. I didn't eat, and I barely drank, I soaked my sheets every night with sweat from the fever and I didn't move for over a week from bed.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone, it was horrible and I never want it again.

I hope I never get in on board, as hubby would not be impressed!!

Two years running I lost two weeks work and struggled for a couple of weeks afterwards, not funny if you're self-employed, I get a flu jab now.

Don't forget, just to cheer everyone up, that it is said that more people died from flu during the first world war than died from the fighting.

Tim

I dont really like being ill that much, and regardless of where I am I still don't like being ill, but I do miss a flushing lavatory when I am ill. Personally the only thing that comforts me when I am crook is being in my own space and that, for me is the boat. I actually found it harder to operate aboard when I had the operation on my hand earlier this year. Being one handed, in winter isn't that easy. I had help for a bit from Maffi, but then Maffi went on his travels (albeit not for long) and I had forgotten to stock the shelves. I was a bit hungry until I was well enough to walk to the shops! :lol:

I mastered the art of getting coal off the roof, filling the coal skuttle one handed and generally functioning.

I always have emergency stocks on my boat for food as one never knows when the lurgy will hit and it is good to be able to eat.

Concussion was the worst illness I have had on a boat though.

Edited by Bones

I was liveaboard, and if I can fill up a coal bucket, clean out the fire, fill it up and light it, keep it stoked, move the boat to the pumpout and moor it up then walk to the pub, all within 10 days of open heart surgery surely you can handle emptying a cassette with a bit of a sniffle and a cough?

Wimp! :lol:

Gibbo

It is quite clear that you have never had flu Gibbo, it is not merely a sniffle and cough. Flu lasts for over a week and deprives you of any energy or interest to do anything. Wheras after a major operation, you should be engaging in some physical activity to aid recovery.

My mother was able to stand on a chair and hang curtains only five days after a masectomy at the age of 92, but Flu put her in bed for a fortnight.

Edited by David Schweizer