Keeping my stove in

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

I have finally managed to keep my fire in over night. It has been in since sunday and it is lovely. I have a squirrel and burn tabrite (spelling?)

The reason it was not keeping in was that i was too miserly with the coal. When i acutally put a good lot of coal in it was easier to control the heat as well as keeping it in.

The moral of the story..... dont be such as tight arse.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
Taybrite's the stuff. Can't get my (Belle) stove at home to go out since we started using it.

Was using Taybrite, quite a lot of ash, now using Homelite, very little ash, only have the bottom spinner open one turn and top one 1/2 a turn loads of heat and hotwater. Night time close top spinner open bottom one 1/2 turn keeps in all night, beautiful!

If you use wood during the day makes it more economical but you do get lots more ash, but loads of heat and a nice looking flame, got to be worth another couple of degres just for the look.

Was using Taybrite, quite a lot of ash, now using Homelite, very little ash, only have the bottom spinner open one turn and top one 1/2 a turn loads of heat and hotwater. Night time close top spinner open bottom one 1/2 turn keeps in all night, beautiful!

If you use wood during the day makes it more economical but you do get lots more ash, but loads of heat and a nice looking flame, got to be worth another couple of degres just for the look.

Manufactured briquettes or ovoids will always contain more ash (as well as other non-combustible byproducts) than pure Anthracite because they are manufactured using various combinations of Anthracite dust, mining waste and other chemicals often derived from oil. Our own preference is to burn pure Anthracite, a natural product, which is usually available as 'small nuts', 'large nuts' or 'stove nuts' in 20kg or 25kg poly bags. Anthracite may seem more expensive than the manufactured products and it does require more attention to the fire but, in the longer term it is far more economical. We keep a fire in throughout the Winter and for much of the Spring and Autumn (Summer as well during the last two years!) and our consumption is around 40 25kg bags a year. At this time of the year, the Morso Squirrel in our main cabin lasts an average of just over four days on a 25kg bag whereas we would burn more than two bags of 'Taybrite' a week for same heat output.

Manufactured briquettes or ovoids will always contain more ash (as well as other non-combustible byproducts) than pure Anthracite because they are manufactured using various combinations of Anthracite dust, mining waste and other chemicals often derived from oil. Our own preference is to burn pure Anthracite, a natural product, which is usually available as 'small nuts', 'large nuts' or 'stove nuts' in 20kg or 25kg poly bags. Anthracite may seem more expensive than the manufactured products and it does require more attention to the fire but, in the longer term it is far more economical. We keep a fire in throughout the Winter and for much of the Spring and Autumn (Summer as well during the last two years!) and our consumption is around 40 25kg bags a year. At this time of the year, the Morso Squirrel in our main cabin lasts an average of just over four days on a 25kg bag whereas we would burn more than two bags of 'Taybrite' a week for same heat output.

Do you use large or small nuts, I've found a site that offers 40 x 25g bags inc: VAT and delivery for £359 which is £8.98 a bag, large or small nuts.

John

Do you use large or small nuts, I've found a site that offers 40 x 25g bags inc: VAT and delivery for £359 which is £8.98 a bag, large or small nuts.

John

Most bags seem to contain a mix of sizes anyway and, in practice, we have found that the label on the bag makes little difference. The brittle nature of Anthracite means that by the time its in the stove most lumps measue no more than one or two inches across. Having said that £8.98 a bag is a very good price for what I believe to be a superior product!

Most bags seem to contain a mix of sizes anyway and, in practice, we have found that the label on the bag makes little difference. The brittle nature of Anthracite means that by the time its in the stove most lumps measue no more than one or two inches across. Having said that £8.98 a bag is a very good price for what I believe to be a superior product!

Sorry, should have included this. You need to put in your postcode to get an accurate local price, might be on the home page.

http://www.coaldelivery.co.uk/acatalog/smo...rs_boilers.html

Hi all

I've kept the Epping on Resolute going since the cut froze earlier this week, just to maintain warmth in the cabin (not living on board). I'm burning Furnacite from my local coalman which he tells me is Welsh anthracite..lasts brilliantly and makes little ash, no more than a pan a day. I'm charged £10 25 a bag which lasts over a week...no complaints there!

Cheers

Dave

Hi all

I've kept the Epping on Resolute going since the cut froze earlier this week, just to maintain warmth in the cabin (not living on board). I'm burning Furnacite from my local coalman which he tells me is Welsh anthracite..lasts brilliantly and makes little ash, no more than a pan a day. I'm charged £10 25 a bag which lasts over a week...no complaints there!

Cheers

Dave

hi dave im paying £8.30 for a 25kg of excel from harrisons in milton stoke on trent my stove wont burn anthracite very well only have bottom air on stove but will stay in for 10 hours on one load of excel.

I like Taybrite but Tom on Archemedes and Ara working boats does this "winter mix" no idea what it is (apart from that its coal) @ £7.50 a bag and its fantastic.

I have a squirrel stove.

Same colour as the engine then ??

Wow. A 25kg bag of Taybrite lasts a whole week with our Boatman stove.

Haven't been able to get Taybrite where we are in Wootton Wawen this year, but have discovered a namless fuel from Calcutt & Sons that's very similar and stays in all night no problem - just like good ole Taybrite.