design of dinette

Featured Posts

Would appreciate thoughts on design of dinette cushions

I am talking about convertible dinette to double bed ie 6ft 3 inches along length of cabin

Specifically the back cushions. Most designs I have seen have upright cushions which are fine when sitting upright and eating at the table but when you sit back they cant be comfortable. Conventional chairs and sofas have an angled back so they are comfortable. I can understand why the cushions are upright as they have to be used as part of the bed when converted for sleeping. Is there another way round this so sitting back in the dinette is comfortable?

Charles

I am talking about convertible dinette to double bed ie 6ft 3 inches along length of cabin

Specifically the back cushions. Most designs I have seen have upright cushions which are fine when sitting upright and eating at the table but when you sit back they cant be comfortable. Conventional chairs and sofas have an angled back so they are comfortable. I can understand why the cushions are upright as they have to be used as part of the bed when converted for sleeping. Is there another way round this so sitting back in the dinette is comfortable?

Charles

The Convertable Dinnette Settee which I built on my boat has the facility for a sloping backrest when used as a seat, and vertical when used as a bed.

If you PM me with you email address I can send you some drawings and photos.

Edited by David Schweizer

Charles

Are you converting an existing dinette or fitting a new one?

John

The Convertable Dinnette Settee which I built on my boat has the facility for a sloping backrest when used as a seat, and vertical when used as a bed.

If you PM me with you email address I can send you some drawings and photos.

Same thoughts, so long as seat has enough depth.

John

Same thoughts, so long as seat has enough depth.

John

Ah yes, well my design also has the facility to increase the depth of the seat base, so that the seat cushion can be brought forward when the back rest is put into the sloped position.

Not rocket science, or even particularly original, but it was designed before I had seen other people's designs.

Ah yes, well my design also has the facility to increase the depth of the seat base, so that the seat cushion can be brought forward when the back rest is put into the sloped position.

Not rocket science, or even particularly original, but it was designed before I had seen other people's designs.

Always wondered why no-one has done it before, any hire boat I have ever been on has had the same uncomfortable sit up cushions, lack of imagination I suppose. :lol:

Just thinking [always a bad idea] don't have a dinnette on our own boat [bought Oct] but might put one in. Can you send your design/pics to me at johnjo69@googlemail.com please?

Regards

John

Edited to add, perhaps there could be an area on the forum just for people to post there designs and improvements????????????

Edited by johnjo

I saw a nifty one a few years ago that the owner had done himself (he got a foam supplier to cut the foam).

The back cushions were narrower along one long edge than the other and there were 2 behind each seat instead of one.

When used as a back rest the thick edges were put together at the bottom so it sloped back.

When making up the bed the thick edge was put along the thin edge of the other one so the overall thing was rectangular again.

He did this as it was easier than hacking the original woodwork.

Gibbo

Charles

The one issue that I would see in creating an angled back, with an existing dinette is that you would reduce the size of the seat base. If you installed a sliding base and had a rigid board behind the back rest cushion that could follow the base out, at the bottom, you could create a comfortable 10 degree angled backrest, provided you still have enough room in front of the table. And you wouldn't have to change from having straight cushions.

If you are building the entire dinette from scratch, I have a basic design for a convertible dinette to queen size bed. It could easily be changed for your purpose, with the caveat that you would need more length than 6ft 3 inches, to end up with the same length. PM me if you want to see a picture.

The one issue that I would see in creating an angled back, with an existing dinette is that you would reduce the size of the seat base. If you installed a sliding base and had a rigid board behind the back rest cushion that could follow the base out, at the bottom, you could create a comfortable 10 degree angled backrest, provided you still have enough room in front of the table. And you wouldn't have to change from having straight cushions.

If you are building the entire dinette from scratch, I have a basic design for a convertible dinette to queen size bed. It could easily be changed for your purpose, with the caveat that you would need more length than 6ft 3 inches, to end up with the same length. PM me if you want to see a picture.

A good idea in principle, and one that I considered. However after several experiments I came to the conclusion that it would only work if the top of the backrest was retained in a sliding channel which enabled the back board to slide all the way down to become the base of the bed when fully extended.

This would require some pretty accurate engineering/woodwork and trying to push it back in the morning would be a nightmare. A simple hinged panel with side bolts, coupled with a sliding base is far simpler and easy to use.

Edited to add:- I have stayed in quite a few continental holiday caravans over the years and have always studied the diner/bed conversions for ideas. To date I have not found one where eitherv the design or ease of use has impressed me.

"If you installed a sliding base and had a rigid board behind the back rest cushion that could follow the base out, at the bottom, you could create a comfortable 10 degree angled backrest"

A good idea in principle, and one that I considered. However after several experiments I came to the conclusion that it would only work if the top of the backrest was retained in a sliding channel which enabled the back board to slide all the way down to become the base of the bed when fully extended.

This would require some pretty accurate engineering/woodwork and trying to push it back in the morning would be a nightmare. A simple hinged panel with side bolts, coupled with a sliding base is far simpler and easy to use.

Edited to add:- I have stayed in quite a few continental holiday caravans over the years and have always studied the diner/bed conversions for ideas. To date I have not found one where eitherv the design or ease of use has impressed me.

Actually if you were take this option (which I agree is not a particularly good one), The seat would only need to slide about 15cm. To make up the bed, you would slide it back into the upright position and drop the table down, as the centre filler piece, using the back cushion/s in the middle. You do need to consider how big to make the back cushions to make this work, but there is definitely no rocket science involved, except that you would still make up the bed every night.

Actually if you were take this option (which I agree is not a particularly good one), The seat would only need to slide about 15cm. To make up the bed, you would slide it back into the upright position and drop the table down, as the centre filler piece, using the back cushion/s in the middle. You do need to consider how big to make the back cushions to make this work, but there is definitely no rocket science involved, except that you would still make up the bed every night.

Yes, that would work, I was forgetting that most people have two long seats with a table in the middle, wheras the one I built is an L shaped setee where the longer base slides out to make the bed unit. It was a lot more complicated to build, but only takes about ten seconds to convert, I decided that was the prefered option, as the last thing I want to do before I go to bed, is assemble a Constuction Kit.

Yes, that would work, I was forgetting that most people have two long seats with a table in the middle, wheras the one I built is an L shaped setee where the longer base slides out to make the bed unit. It was a lot more complicated to build, but only takes about ten seconds to convert, I decided that was the prefered option, as the last thing I want to do before I go to bed, is assemble a Constuction Kit.

202.gifThanks for the pics David, it's actually solved a problem we have with our boat. The pumpout tank intrudes about 3ft into the saloon and means we have a dead area, but it is about the right height for a seat, so, using your design inc: the slatted pullout if that's OK with you, I'm going to convert this into a 2 seater/diner & double berth, so we'll then have doubled the available berths.

137.gifMuch obliged.

Regards

John

202.gifThanks for the pics David, it's actually solved a problem we have with our boat. The pumpout tank intrudes about 3ft into the saloon and means we have a dead area, but it is about the right height for a seat, so, using your design inc: the slatted pullout if that's OK with you, I'm going to convert this into a 2 seater/diner & double berth, so we'll then have doubled the available berths.

137.gifMuch obliged.

Regards

John

Copy away John, it's not patented, and although I did actually work it out for myself, I have since discovered that it is not an original idea.

I was forgetting that most people have two long seats with a table in the middle, wheras the one I built is an L shaped setee where the longer base slides out to make the bed unit. It was a lot more complicated to build, but only takes about ten seconds to convert, I decided that was the prefered option, as the last thing I want to do before I go to bed, is assemble a Constuction Kit.

Have you got any photo's posted publicly? It sounds like a good solution and I would like to see it.

Have you got any photo's posted publicly? It sounds like a good solution and I would like to see it.

No unfortunately not, I still haven't got round to creating my own Photo Bucket gallery

If you PM me your email address I can send them as atachments.

No unfortunately not, I still haven't got round to creating my own Photo Bucket gallery

If you PM me your email address I can send them as atachments.

David

Thanks for sending the photos, I shall use your design when the time comes

Charles

Many years ago I used 'Rock & Roll' hinges in a VW Camper conversion where you lift the front of the seat & pull forward to make the backrest horizontal. This site sells something similar

Hope it might help someone

Chris

excellent thank you, with these hinges the back rest forms part of the bed base when folded forward so you dont use the table for this purpose which gives more options as to the shape of the table as it no longer has to fit the gap

• 2 months later...

Foam Cushions

Hiya,

If anybody wants any help with new foam seats/back cushions ect drop me a line.

I own my own foam cutting bussines, so most shapes are not a problem even shaping your

old foams (glueing a bit on, taking a bit off, what ever you want).

We supply the Wilson of Kinver and there reputation is very good. So if we can help, we will

We are in Stourbridge, Canal Street

Derek

• 1 month later...

I am still mulling around the idea of a dinnette, and I now have some wood cluttering up the corridor that MIGHT be the right size for it. SO, What height are your dinnette seats with and without the cushions and can you see out the window when you sit on them?

Edited by Bones

Foam Cushions

Hiya,

If anybody wants any help with new foam seats/back cushions ect drop me a line.

I own my own foam cutting bussines, so most shapes are not a problem even shaping your

old foams (glueing a bit on, taking a bit off, what ever you want).

We supply the Wilson of Kinver and there reputation is very good. So if we can help, we will

We are in Stourbridge, Canal Street

Derek

I've used this company to supply both my seating and bed foam and they have lots of different types. I just popped in one morning with what I wanted and it was done by lunch time.

I am still mulling around the idea of a dinnette, and I now have some wood cluttering up the corridor that MIGHT be the right size for it. SO, What height are your dinnette seats with and without the cushions and can you see out the window when you sit on them?

I have sent you some drawings and photos of the convertable L shaped Settee/bed unit I have built in my boat, but ironicly, we are thinking of changing it into a more conventional Dinnette unit. If I get round to designing it (a lot easier to design and build than an L shaped settee) I will send you a copy of thise as well.

I have sent you some drawings and photos of the convertable L shaped Settee/bed unit I have built in my boat, but ironicly, we are thinking of changing it into a more conventional Dinnette unit. If I get round to designing it (a lot easier to design and build than an L shaped settee) I will send you a copy of thise as well.

Oh goody! DO!!!!

Thank you for the plans etc, I received them this morning and they look fabulous. Can you see out of your window with your dinnette or is it a bit low (I realise with L shapes the emphasis is on the table rather than the conventional which is more inclined to window gazing activities..)

Oh goody! DO!!!!

Thank you for the plans etc, I received them this morning and they look fabulous. Can you see out of your window with your dinnette or is it a bit low (I realise with L shapes the emphasis is on the table rather than the conventional which is more inclined to window gazing activities..)

No not really, but that is made worse by the fact that our boat has a very deep hull. On a boat with a draught of 2ft or so, and lower gunwales it would be better. I do know of some peole who have built the whole thing on a plinth to raise the seat height, but knowing me I would trip over the damned thing every time I walked by, so that option was ruled out prettyy quickly.

It is much easier to build a conventional dinnette on a plinth, but the back cushions may have to have a bit cut out of the top corner to accomodate the cabin sides.

Bones, you need to consider the ergonomics of seating. The bible for data is 'Human Dimension and Space' by Zelnek and Panero, the data is a bit dated now but is a good guide. For seat height measure a couple of dining chairs that you find comfortable, then the seat depth. This will give you your basic dimensions. Remember that the back should be at an obtuse angle to the seat (somewhere round about 95degrees) If the seat is too high you put pressure on the underside of your thighs which is not good for circulation - its why office chairs have a 'waterfall' front. On most boats unlees you put the dinette on a plinth the seat will be too low to see out of the window. Having said all that its possible to design a dinette which satisfies most ergonomic requirements using a standard sheet of ply and good quality cushions.