Adding a pidgeon box

MtB

Featured Posts

Hi John

According to Colin, my scientist friend, it made no difference whether the glass was installed curved or flat side up...it would still act as a focusing lens. My physics days are well behind me so I can't comment on the accuracy of this statement, but this was a guy who designed satellites in his day job and produced an excellent set of offset controls for his DM2. He was well respected at the yard as a problem solver. Should ther be a "D" in pigeon?

Dave

Because the glass can only 'deal with' the light incident upon it (i.e. it doesn't 'suck' light towards it !) when its installed flat side up flush with the roof, the total amount of light coming in will be the same as that coming in if there was just a hole in the roof - the advantage of the prism being that it bends the light, sending it sideways, so that you don't just get a bright spot on the floor.

However, as well as that same amount of light, a bulls-eye installed dome side up also receives diffuse light (and, at low sun angles, direct sunlight) on its side aspects that are above the roofline, and directs some of this 'extra' light into the boat. If the bulls-eye wasn't there, this would just pass over the top of the boat.

The difference between these different types of installation might not be great, but it does exist.

I did hear there is no F in fish due to the storms.

:lol:

Sorry to take this further away from the OP just for a min. but I can't resist telling this. I went to a talk a long time ago by Michael Fish (the 'not a hurricane' forecaster). It was great and he talked about some of the gaffes - he played a clip of a forecast he gave at 6pm one week day. It was in the days of magnetic symbols on a vertical map (remember them ?) - he was talking to the camera, glanced at the map, and saw that it said "OG" across Southern England. So, he turned back to camera and said "Sorry everybody, there is no F in fog over England"....

The BBC switchboard apparently lit up like a Christmas tree......

:lol:

Because the glass can only 'deal with' the light incident upon it (i.e. it doesn't 'suck' light towards it !) when its installed flat side up flush with the roof, the total amount of light coming in will be the same as that coming in if there was just a hole in the roof - the advantage of the prism being that it bends the light, sending it sideways, so that you don't just get a bright spot on the floor.

However, as well as that same amount of light, a bulls-eye installed dome side up also receives diffuse light (and, at low sun angles, direct sunlight) on its side aspects that are above the roofline, and directs some of this 'extra' light into the boat. If the bulls-eye wasn't there, this would just pass over the top of the boat.

The difference between these different types of installation might not be great, but it does exist.

Sorry to snip your quote but just to say, next time mine falls out aI will put it back dome upwards.

Midland Chandlers sell a standard pigeon box for just under £100

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/PIGEON-B...ORTS_A1B5C.aspx

But any good steel worker should be able to make one to your own specification. There was a chap that goes to the boat shows who makes them and side doors that bolt in so you don't need to weld the boat.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Maybe I should rephrase the question.... Can anyone nominate a 'good steel worker' anywhere near Reading please?

Or identify the chap at the boat shows? I like the idea of one that bolts on and doesn't need any welding. Might even DIY-fit it! Thing is though, I'm so busy with work and so highly paid ;-) it is more cost-effective for me to spend my time working and pay someone else to work on the boat.

Yes I agree, pidgeon does not have a 'd' in it. My secondary skool edumacation showing I think....

I love the light prisms etc. but we still want a pigeon box as well because as my girl points out, you can't open a prism on a hot day to let the heat out. Wimmin, eh?!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by mike bryant

Midland Chandlers sell a standard pigeon box for just under £100

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/PIGEON-B...ORTS_A1B5C.aspx

But any good steel worker should be able to make one to your own specification. There was a chap that goes to the boat shows who makes them and side doors that bolt in so you don't need to weld the boat.

OK, I have been checking back and found that the pigeon boxes and side doors are made by Kendian Engineering 01604 511512 The side doors with frame run out at £300. They also do cratch boards in steel

Thanks for your replies everyone. Maybe I should rephrase the question.... Can anyone nominate a 'good steel worker' anywhere near Reading please?

Or identify the chap at the boat shows? I like the idea of one that bolts on and doesn't need any welding. Might even DIY-fit it! Thing is though, I'm so busy with work and so highly paid ;-) it is more cost-effective for me to spend my time working and pay someone else to work on the boat.

Yes I agree, pidgeon does not have a 'd' in it. My secondary skool edumacation showing I think....

I love the light prisms etc. but we still want a pigeon box as well because as my girl points out, you can't open a prism on a hot day to let the heat out. Wimmin, eh?!

Cheers, Mike

my pigeon box sits over a 1 " angle iron frame(which is welded on)but would be just as easy to bolt on then the pigeon box is bolted through the ends onto the frame i am fitting a larger box in the main cabin by doing this

Ours isn't a pigeon box (I've heard it called a biscuit tin) but the principle is the same. Here are some piccies:

cut hole in roof - ours wasn't lined at the time, so that was fairly easy. Well, tbh it wasn't actually on the boat at the time.

frame fabricated to fit curvature of roof. Unfortunately in the light of the original question, I have no idea what this cost. It was then bolted on with rather nice rivetty looking coachbolts into a bed of paintable silicone.

actual box/vent whatever is made of wood and ply

and finally tidied up on the inside

Edited by WarriorWoman

Thirty Two posts and not a single one suggesting that it is just the sort of job that is well within the scope of the average DIY type person, there was a time when there was a considerable do-it-yourself element in owning a narrowboat, there is a lot of satisfaction too in accomplishing this kind of task and for non live-aboards a project that can be tackled at home whilst the wind and rain whistles around outside..

All kinds of options of methods and materials, I made mine from riveted brass sheet, it will last for ever.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...=si&img=916

Edited by John Orentas

Mike..

would endorse martin Kedian - we have used him for some fitted water tanks etc and he did a great job, on time and price!!

I know Baldock has also used for some "bodywork" ! and happy with his work,,

re the prisms, we have 3 and would confirm that they let an excellent amount of light for their size,

Ive seen them at several chandlers, including Ubxridge and would think most DIT'ers could fit one in a couple of hours.. 4 holes and a jig saw blade.

I have also removed and resealed mine to sort out a minor set of drips - took about 45 mins ago,,, mainly to remove also mastic sealer and then re-sealed.. been fine sicne this time last year...

if your over our way try yr welcome to come and see for yourself...

lastly with the depth of them verses the ceiling they do not protrude - think we will end up with them double glazed..!

have fun...

Thirty Two posts and not a single one suggesting that it is just the sort of job that is well within the scope of the average DIY type person, there was a time when there was a considerable do-it-yourself element in owning a narrowboat, there is a lot of satisfaction too in accomplishing this kind of task and for non live-aboards a project that can be tackled at home whilst the wind and rain whistles around outside..

All kinds of options of methods and materials, I made mine from riveted brass sheet, it will last for ever.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...=si&img=916

Pardon me.

There are already at least 2 posts decribing home made ones.

See both Warriorwoman's and my posts above.

Edited by andywatson

Ours isn't a pigeon box (I've heard it called a biscuit tin) but the principle is the same. Here are some piccies:

cut hole in roof - ours wasn't lined at the time, so that was fairly easy. Well, tbh it wasn't actually on the boat at the time.

frame fabricated to fit curvature of roof. Unfortunately in the light of the original question, I have no idea what this cost. It was then bolted on with rather nice rivetty looking coachbolts into a bed of paintable silicone.

actual box/vent whatever is made of wood and ply

and finally tidied up on the inside

This is exactly the design I had been looking for, thanks for sharing, looks very much like the design I have seen on some working boats

I am also looking for a design for a fabricated "skylight" in the same shape as a pigeon box but will be about 2 ft across and 4 ft long similar in style also to the ones you see on old yachts, there would be 2 large double glazed windows, if anyone has a photo or two of such a design I would be gratefull for them being potsed

Charles

This is exactly the design I had been looking for, thanks for sharing, looks very much like the design I have seen on some working boats

I am also looking for a design for a fabricated "skylight" in the same shape as a pigeon box but will be about 2 ft across and 4 ft long similar in style also to the ones you see on old yachts, there would be 2 large double glazed windows, if anyone has a photo or two of such a design I would be gratefull for them being potsed

Charles

there was a guy at loughborough boat rally doing them very nice but pricey around £900 if memory serves me right

Charles

That is what we have over the galley but only single glazed. I over shot the glass so any condensation drips outside and it also acts as built in ventilation, I.E the bottom edge of the glass is half an inch outside the side walls and not inside.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Thank you for the recomendations have just fitted boxe,s and downlighter,s in Reading had a great day out with plenty of coffee and bickys Martin

And here are some pix of the most excellent pigeon boxes Martin made and fitted....

pignbox1.jpg

pignbox2.jpg

pignbox3.jpg

The difference to the interior light levels in the boat is amazing and we are WELL happy. :-)

(Ignore the dodgy painting. I did it myself :- ) )

Cheers!

Mike

And here are some pix of the most excellent pigeon boxes Martin made and fitted....

pignbox1.jpg

pignbox2.jpg

pignbox3.jpg

The difference to the interior light levels in the boat is amazing and we are WELL happy. :-)

(Ignore the dodgy painting. I did it myself :- ) )

Cheers!

Mike

I am glad you like them pictures are great could you email them to me Regards Martin