Internal Sliding Doors

nfo

Featured Posts

We are in the process of a refit and would like to install internal sliding doors. Can anyone advise where we can purchase the sliders from.

would the sliders for wardrobes do? If so I would think B & Q. Are you sure you want sliding doors as they have a habit of sliding unless securely fastened? I think internal doors on a narrowboat are unnecessary.

Sue

would the sliders for wardrobes do? If so I would think B & Q. Are you sure you want sliding doors as they have a habit of sliding unless securely fastened? I think internal doors on a narrowboat are unnecessary.

Sue

I agree up to a point - ie doors don't give any acoustical privacy - but visual screening may be an issue if you have guests on board. We've used temporary full-length curtains instead - mount them on spring-loaded poles across the corridor.

I think internal doors on a narrowboat are unnecessary.

Wickes do the sliding mechanism as well.

Whilst internal doors are now wholly necessary on many narrowboats I think it is always good to have one on the toilet/bathroom even if privacy is not an issue as you can vent the are after a shower to get rid of the steam while not losing any precious heat from the rest of the boat in winter.

I also know of people who prefer to restrict their dogs to set a set area of their boat at certain times (for example when locking) as they are more relaxed if they do not have the entire boat to patrol while "on guard". Internal doors are a must for that!

Wickes do the sliding mechanism as well.

Whilst internal doors are now wholly necessary on many narrowboats I think it is always good to have one on the toilet/bathroom even if privacy is not an issue as you can vent the are after a shower to get rid of the steam while not losing any precious heat from the rest of the boat in winter.

I also know of people who prefer to restrict their dogs to set a set area of their boat at certain times (for example when locking) as they are more relaxed if they do not have the entire boat to patrol while "on guard". Internal doors are a must for that!

I have sliding door fiiting on my bathroom

Try this

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Product...ding_Door_Gear/

I have sliding door fiiting on my bathroom

Try this

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/Product...ding_Door_Gear/

Main advantage with bedroom doors is when coupled with fire and smoke alarms they may give you a few minutes extra if anything went wrong - especially when leaving the stove lit overnight.

I have a pocket door which is mounted on the wall which separates the bathroom from the bedroom.

I used heavy duty draw runners,they were a bit fiddly to set up, being able to take the runners apart does help though, as you can hang the door after the runners are fitted.

The door is made from 18mm ply with a hardwood bead around the edge so it isn't heavy. I used 3 of the runners on one side of the door but next time I would have 2 on eitherside which would be very tricky but is possible with thought. You will also need a rebated piece of timber on the ceilng and the side of the boat for the door edge to slide into.

When not in use you can't see either the door or the runners and you don't lose any height as they are mounted on the door face. Its also best to leave a gap under any doors to help ventilation.

I hope you get the gist of what I mean, as its difficult to explain. These are the runners I used - there are different lengths but I used the longest ones.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20420/Kitche...r-Runners-550mm

Instead of a sliding door another option could be a bi-fold door?

This is my bedroom door. It's hinged on the left in this picture, so if pushed from this position it opens out into the corridor space folding next to the bathroom (left). To close it you pull the handle. I'm afraid I don't have a picture of it open, but I doubt it takes up much more space than a sliding door and it's probably easier to fit.

DSC00488.jpg

Edited by blackrose

That's strange I was just about to suggest an almost identical arrangement to Blackie.. Conventional doors have all kinds of problems especially with internal side doors, I don't like sliding doors as they always seem very basic and can be noisy.. Fold in the middle types are a bit tricky to build but to my mind are by far the best compromise.

No photo's or plans but P.M. me for a few tips.

Edited by John Orentas

That's strange I was just about to suggest an almost identical arrangement to Blackie.. Conventional doors have all kinds of problems especially with internal side doors, I don't like sliding doors as they always seem very basic and can be noisy.. Fold in the middle types are a bit tricky to build but to my mind are by far the best compromise.

Well I don't have the skills to build a bi-fold door myself. Mine came from Wickes and cost about £50. All I did was cut it down a bit to get it to fit the space and put the pin at the bottom back in. Then I just stained & varnished it.

• 3 weeks later...
We are in the process of a refit and would like to install internal sliding doors. Can anyone advise where we can purchase the sliders from.

Hey,

Once I required to buy folding sliding doors and I prefer to bought from DoorsandMore.

Instead of a sliding door another option could be a bi-fold door?

yep, bifold doors could be a good option.

Sue

Depending, obviously on your layout, but if you make the two bathroom doors big enough.

Leaving them open masked the two half of the boat but for below the gunnels.

Any one going to the bathroom naked :lol: is always masked by one of the doors.

Alex

Depending, obviously on your layout, but if you make the two bathroom doors big enough.

Leaving them open masked the two half of the boat but for below the gunnels.

Any one going to the bathroom naked :lol: is always masked by one of the doors.

Alex

:lol:

Alex I've read this a few times now and you've got me completely stumped, I just can't visualise what you mean. :lol:

:lol:

Alex I've read this a few times now and you've got me completely stumped, I just can't visualise what you mean. :lol:

Hi

My bathroom layout leaves a corridor between the bed room and lounge, about 18 inches wide.

I have two 18 inch door to my bathroom and opening either of them almost blockes the corridor.

So when you visit the toilet you close one, walk into the gap and close the other behind you.

The corridor is now open but you are in the bathroom.

I hope this clearer - it works for us but of course any one sharing a NB have to be good friends!!

Alex