Calling cards!

Featured Posts

How about an area in the site for members to post when they see or pass other members boats? We can monitor who gets out and about most that way!!

22624[/snapback]

Oh, please... then Big Brother could REALLY watch us all so easily. Yes, ok I may sound paranoid but I value what shreds of privacy this country still allows us.

We tend to keep a voyage log and when things are quiet e.g. the winter months, we always log the names of moving boats that we pass.

Usually, in the winter or on the backwaters mid week, it will only be one or two, so its not a big task. It comes in useful occasionally, especially when there is something noteworthy about a particular boat and it comes up in conversation at a later date.

It solves the "I'm sure we've seen that hotel boat pair before, but I can't remember where or when" sort of disputes.

PS Calling Cards - quaint, but not for us. We'd just wedge a note in a freezer bag under their hatch if we had a message.

Edited by NB Willawaw

How about an area in the site for members to post when they see or pass other members boats? We can monitor who gets out and about most that way!!

Or, we could order 547(one each) GPS tracking devices, and set up an interactive, live tracking system, intergrated with the fourm software, so that under every users name appeared there location,

- such as "EmilyAnne, Location:Marketdrayton Marina"

Or, on a more limited budgets, we could have a thread where every user posts one picture of them, on ther boat. So that we would recognise members.

- A bit like the "show us you desk" threads you get on PC forums

Daniel

Great idea, we could then install a live map of the system showing where we all are at a specific time, we could also use the GPS to write to our logs automatically and even note when we pass another members boat, amazing stuff this technology!!

In fact, I was tied up outside 'The Plough' at Huddlesford Junction on Friday last and noticed a boat passing by with the forum logo on the side, didn't get the boat name as it took my poor brain a while to realise what I was looking at.

In fact, I was tied up outside 'The Plough' at Huddlesford Junction on Friday last and noticed a boat passing by with the forum logo on the side.

Yeah, well with nearly 550, and about 3000miles of canal.

- On average there a forum member ever 5.5 miles :D

We had a CWF logo in the window, but i only did it on our inkjet, so it ran. Ive done one on the DT depts colour laser, but havent been to the boat to put it in.

Daniel

Why are there TWO calling cards thread - even if they are slightly different :D

22645[/snapback]

You have answered your own question!!

They are both different and as such need to be posted under different, (relevant) topics.

The original idea was actually serious - shame it got hijacked by sarcasm!!

If this forum is about increased 'socialness' amongst boaters, I for one would quite like to be able to post when I see other members boats or when they see me.

Or, on a more limited budgets, we could have a thread where every user posts one picture of them, on ther boat. So that we would recognise members.

- A bit like the "show us you desk" threads you get on PC forums

This is a good idea isn't it??

(or have I totally mis-understood the demographics of forum members?)

I do actually agree with the idea, I, unfortunately perhaps, couldn't resist joining in with the 'fun'. If this offended, then please acept my apologies.

if anyone meets or sees the gaggle of geese once i am on the water rest assured you will remember me and whoever is on board.life is for living and i have been none drinking for five yrs to long.i am hoping to party a bit ,and judging by the boats i have been on and the empty wine bottles i see in the cabins the partying is already going on,drinks and barbacue,s way to go baby.so please feel free to say hiya. gaggle

The original idea was actually serious - shame it got hijacked by sarcasm!!

If this forum is about increased 'socialness' amongst boaters, I for one would quite like to be able to post when I see other members boats or when they see me.

This is a good idea isn't it??

I think its pritty good, sorry about the sarcasem, i guess partly it depends on the person, i could undersatnd sompeople feel a little bit weird about it.

- I think the ideal of having a therd feturing one decent photo, and paragraph to help people recognise each other, coupled with the use of a CWF sticker or poster in the front cabin window.

- As i said on the other thread, on average theres member for every five and a hlaf miles of canals, roughly.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Oh, please... then Big Brother could REALLY watch us all so easily. Yes, ok I may sound paranoid but I value what shreds of privacy this country still allows us.

22629[/snapback]

if you still think big brother isnt watching you every minute you,re mad nich,have you got a mobile phone?yes? well he knows where you are and everything you have ever said into it.as for the computers you sit in front of on a daily basis.spent anything on your credit card lately, he knows what under clothes you wear, your favourite perfume, what you eat,if you ate alone and when you left the shop you were more than likely videod not by one camera but several.paronia is thinking you are being watched and stuff isnt it,dont think it know it and remember it.

dont worry about it to much or they will know you are worried when you have it added to your medical records which are stored on their massive centralized computers which collate everything from hundreds of sources therby providing big brother with your life fingerprint.another thing its big sister as well watching.

nich keep your eyes open for imbe,imbe is the real one you need to watch.gaggle

if you still think big brother isnt  watching you every minute you,re mad nich,have you got a mobile phone? ...

22906[/snapback]

exactly. That's why I said "shreds of privacy". I do like to hang onto the illusion that I might have a little bit of it still.

Hello all,

I'm trying to think of the best way to do this. The only way the scheme would work if people voluntarily took part. Reporting on just any old (or new!) boat seems pointless.

I'll see if I can get a sticker made or something that can go into the window with the CWDF logo on it to identify each other as members. I'll also post the image on the forums for you to print off. Users can then approach each other if they want to.

I agree that post locations of boats other than your own on here could be a bit dodgy.

Any thoughts?

Jon

if you still think big brother isnt  watching you every minute you,re

nich keep your eyes open for imbe,imbe is the real one you need to watch.gaggle

22906[/snapback]

Carnivore! do not read about Carnivore, do not Google Carnivore,

do not click on this Carnivore link

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/carnivore.htm

Carnivore is old news, Carnivore is dead. Hail son of Carnivore! :D

cant remember wot its called, Echelon, or sommick :D

edit Oh Dear, do not go here

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pspoole/echelon.html :D

Edited by Amicus

I agree that post locations of boats other than your own on here could be a bit dodgy

I think it should be up to individual to post where their boat is - anyone else posting the location on to the forum could upset security arrangements. I know of at least one person who occassionally contributes to this forum who is a CC who does not post their location when they are leaving the boat for a few days to visit family.

Also, you only have to look at the wide variety of entries in the 'Location' field in this forum to see that some people do not want to be very specific about where their boat is - possibly again for security reasons. After all this forum is in the public domain and anyone could be reading it.

Having said all that, I would like someway of identifying other forum members when out cruising, if only to give them a wave. My memory isn't good enough to remember everyone's boat names.

I dont think this should all be done to "moniter others"

- But i think if there was a standard, clearly visable at didstances, logo, that could be printed off (or idearly a plastic window sticker) , that would be good.

- Also i thing the idea about a "me and my boat" photo thread is good.

- And the use of calling cards could be left upto the induvidual.

Daniel

well if british waterways is giving out your licence details what else are they liable to give out. even if we dont want people to know were we are what we are doing,paying for have we a choice.

i am totally stunned that bw are allowed to release personal info. if you want to know who is who were they are we dont need stickers posters in the window just ask bw.

Taint a sticker you want but a burgee, fly it when aboard, take it down when not aboard. :D

We have a red ensign, about 18*12" that we fly whenever where aboard.

- I guess a CWF flag/burgee would be cool, but im not sure how many people would fly one?

- A sticker is just smaller a more likly to get used?

Daniel

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, we need some CWF Merch!

The SBA has loads of stuff for sale.

- Embroidered Polo Shirts, Baseball caps, Sweaters, Smocks, Printed Golf Umbrellas, Burgees (large and small) Enamelled badge (for your cap) Car stickers (£1 each)

- And we have an "Emilyanne" Tshirt!

It would be great to have a CWF window sticker! [hint hint, nudge nidge...]

- If jon just 100 printed, then sold them for few quid, could make a bit of cash, and boost atvertidment.

Daniel