There's talk of a new type of prop!!!!

mike lewis

Featured Posts

Guest axiom propellers
Back to the actual topic,

My area of concern is not so much with the actual prop, but if as is claimed it has the ability to stop a boat in a much shorter distance then this must surely indicate a far greater thrust force being imparted to the shaft and bearings.

Am I right or not?

duztee.

Duztee, yes you are right, Axiom props do stop NB's a lot quicker, (half the time) than a marine screw, therefor , it must impose greater strain on the shaft and bearings BUT your average NB shaft at 1,1/2'' is more than man enough to cope. We did have one problem ,on one boat, the shaft started to come out of the flex coupling when in astern. Tighting the grub screws in the coupling soon sorted that out ! That boat then went on to do 1200 miles with a Axiom with no further problems.

The seven NB's that have had Axioms on them have traveled 5000 miles, thats the same as across the Atlantic and half way back ,But in the Atlantic boats don't hit shopping trollies , prams ,carpet etc etc.

Not one of them has had a problem with shaft, bearings or gearbox.

Lets face it if you want to trial a new form of propulsion, what harder environment could you choose that the UK's canals.

AXIOM.

Not a million miles off-topic. It is extensive use of Seagulls with no reverse and, in most cases, no clutch, that has meant I won't ever need a boat that "can stop on a sixpence".

It's amazing how much your helmsmanship improves, when you have no mechanical means of stopping.

Charlie Atkins used to say that you should always boat with the thought that astern gear might not work, or words to that effect.

Tim

I agree - if something is reported to be beneficial then why do so many people feel the need to shoot it down without giving it a chance? Of course, by the same token, if this new prop really does confer so many benefits over standard props and at a comparable cost, then within a certain period of time irrespective of these discussions it will become standard equipment itself. If not, then we can dismiss it. Time and market forces will tell...

There is the definitive statement! Well said that man

Chris

I agree - if something is reported to be beneficial then why do so many people feel the need to shoot it down without giving it a chance? Of course, by the same token, if this new prop really does confer so many benefits over standard props and at a comparable cost, then within a certain period of time irrespective of these discussions it will become standard equipment itself. If not, then we can dismiss it. Time and market forces will tell...

Should we really be so ready to dismiss or discount the people and the firms that have been producing propellers for 'donkeys years'.. I was more than eager to learn something about the new product but all we got was a 'second-hand car dealers' sales pitch, closely followed by a couple of 'independents' who claim to have happened to have been trialling the products.

As for shouting anyone down, I for one attempted to give a reasoned assessment based on the very vague specifications given by the very people who should be technically well informed, but clearly are not.. If anyone can see any flaws in my comments please let us know but please note that I did attempt to add explanations of each item of criticism, I will be delighted to withdraw an inaccuracies that are found.

You are obviously intent on seeking some kind of corruption happening rather than actually adding anything of interest to the subject being discussed - i think perhaps you are on the wrong forum.

au contraire mon ami...

I am simply aiming to establish the honesty of this interesting thread.....

Had the thread been started with "Hi Guys, you don't know us yet but we think you might be interested in a great new prop design that we've come up with. We're testing it at the moment and there will be an article in Waterways Worls about it soon but we thought that we would share it with you now, in order to get some useful feedback" for example...

Schtumm...we would have been - and even more interested !

When are you going to start marketing the props? And any idea on price (is it going to be alot more then a trad one)? Is there a website with a bit more info on it?

Will you be testing it with any wide beam boats?

Edited by Greg_F

You are obviously intent on seeking some kind of corruption happening rather than actually adding anything of interest to the subject being discussed - i think perhaps you are on the wrong forum.

I don't think USM is looking for corruption but the thread did seem to start as an orchestrated marketing ploy.

There also seem to be no reasonable answers to serious questions.

Personally I think, if you can't read the canal ahead of you, and stop your boat in time to avoid a collision, from 4mph, using current technology, then the money that you may spend on a whizzy new prop may be better invested in a helmsman's course.

When are you going to start marketing the props? And any idea on price (is it going to be alot more then a trad one)? Is there a website with a bit more info on it?

:lol:

"Bargus"....sexy stuff, sir :lol:

au contraire mon ami...

I am simply aiming to establish the honesty of this interesting thread.....

Had the thread been started with "Hi Guys, you don't know us yet but we think you might be interested in a great new prop design that we've come up with. We're testing it at the moment and there will be an article in Waterways Worls about it soon but we thought that we would share it with you now, in order to get some useful feedback" for example...

Schtumm...we would have been - and even more interested !

Fair comment,point taken fact is they did not for what ever reason so why can we not just discuss the item, like i have said i have been trialing the Axiom and am happy to answer questions with answers which i have experienced whilst trialing, I realise there will be a lot of negativity about it as people are happy with the way there boats handle (like i was) but once i tried it out and experienced the differences i will not be returning to a Marine Screw

I don't think USM is looking for corruption but the thread did seem to start as an orchestrated marketing ploy.

There also seem to be no reasonable answers to serious questions.

Personally I think, if you can't read the canal ahead of you, and stop your boat in time to avoid a collision, from 4mph, using current technology, then the money that you may spend on a whizzy new prop may be better invested in a helmsman's course.

"Bargus"....sexy stuff, sir :lol:

Not allways possible to read whats coming through that blind bridge hole your approaching,so being able to stop in half the time i found to be a vast improvement.

Not allways possible to read whats coming through that blind bridge hole your approaching,so being able to stop in half the time i found to be a vast improvement.

I have never hit anything, in a bridge hole, there aren't that many truly blind bridge holes, anyway, and I was able to stop my boat in under half its length, from 4mph.

You may have designed the best prop in the world, but if you're trying to sell it to a market that doesn't need it, you're stuffed.

I have never hit anything, in a bridge hole, there aren't that many truly blind bridge holes, anyway, and I was able to stop my boat in under half its length, from 4mph.

You may have designed the best prop in the world, but if you're trying to sell it to a market that doesn't need it, you're stuffed.

You're absolutely right Carl but - if - and I mean - if - there is a new prop that can stop boats quicker, wouldn't you be pleased to see some hire boat companies take it up....?

Sorry - I've confused myself for a moment here - which hat am I wearing now ? :lol:

I Designed nothing just tryed it out. Like you say nothing here for you.

If they can produce it for the same cost as a trad one though surely there onto a winner, who wouldnt want a better prop on a new boat? And whats the disadvantage of being able to stop quicker?

I think this could be perticularly useful for the hire boat market.

I Designed nothing just tryed it out. Like you say nothing here for you.

Sorry, it gets confusing who is the salesman.

Just because there's "nothing here for me" doesn't mean I can't ask questions, offer criticism or debate a point, does it?

If they can produce it for the same cost as a trad one though surely there onto a winner, who wouldnt want a better prop on a new boat? And whats the disadvantage of being able to stop quicker?

Yes it could have its uses, assuming the price is competitive and the claims aren't snakeoil.

If it costs £1 more, than a conventional prop, though, you'll never see one on a hire boat.

Here's a tip - if you've just dug yourself out of a hole, don't dig another one straight away

Sorry, nothing to add....moving along this instant....

I will not be returning to a Marine Screw

You say this is not a marine screw... what does it do then, flap? Nobody has bothered to answer my previous questions so I'm losing interest.

This is a Axiom propeller that has been fitted to "Ditchpaddler" /Users/davidwatts/Desktop/IMG_0550.JPG

Is that meant to be a web link or pic?

Have you got anymore pics other that just that one and can you answer any of the questions I asked above. Seems to be a very interesting project.

Thanks

Guest axiom propellers
Is that meant to be a web link or pic?

Have you got anymore pics other that just that one and can you answer any of the questions I asked above. Seems to be a very interesting project.

Thanks

If you'd like an picture's i will e-mail them to you. (Having problems with putting pic on main forum page.

Great little engine '' The British Seagull'' everyone in the dingy take cover i'm going to start the engine !!! . Catwease if you turn the engine 180 deg's you will get reverse. The blades of a seagull prop are very simple, but they have twist or pitch in the blades AXIOM props DO not

I won't, not with a my Seagull

I won't, not with a my Seagull

The more I think about this, the more convinced I am that a lot of the Seagulls were not capable of being swung 180 degrees.

Surely most pivoted on the tube with the drive shaft passing down, but then had an exhaust that hung down behind that.

On those types the exhaust would prevent it being swung right round.

If it had been easy to achieve, surely they would have made them all swivel ?

Ditch paddler do you have a picture of yours fitted to your boat?

I have a photo if you pm me with youe email i send it to you.

You say this is not a marine screw... what does it do then, flap? Nobody has bothered to answer my previous questions so I'm losing interest.

I answered your question the best i could explain, regarding hull sitting in water etc anything you want to ask about my findings i will answer.