wrenbury to llangollen

OGGDOG

Featured Posts

One of my utterly favourite streches!

Are you single handed or crewed? The lift-bridges can be pain single-handed.

Other than that, it's a fantastic run. Not too lock heavy, with only two more once you're passed Grindley Brook. There's a nice place to moor-up for a night passed Grindley, but the pub is a bit so-so.

Ellesmere has a boat-yard, but getting in/out can be a bit tight. Plenty of shops in the town with good takeaways, and The Market pub is highly recommended.

The Jack Mytton Inn (not far below New Marton Locks) is a good place to stop over. Great food and really good beers.

Chirk also has good shops, a fantastic church to mooch around, and (of course) the castle.

Anglo-Welsh at Trevor (North end of The Pontcysyllte) is a good place to stop off for fuel - I honestly can't remember what I paid, but they were about 3p cheaper than Blackwater Meadow (Ellesmere) and Chirk Marina.

The Sun Inn just before the first of the LLangollen Narrows (bridge 41) serves a damn good steak.

Going down the narrows it's best to send someone ahead as there are few places to pass, and no-where to pass getting closer to Llangollen.

In Llangollen it's £6 per night (max 48hr), but you do get free power and water.

Generally from about Ellesmere onwards it can be a little shallow on the off-side, so keep to the center as much as you can and watch going round the corners. From Trevor Junction down about the first mile or so the restored sections have shallow, angled, sides so, again, try and keep to the centre and take care when passing.

The Pontcysyllte is, as everyone knows, an utterly stunning piece of engineering and, quite possibly, a Life Changing event as you cross the first time.

Watch "The View", too. It's amazing how you're suddenly in the flatter lands of west Cheshire and then suddenly you seem to be surrounded by hills and mountains as you pass through Chirk and Trevor.

If you have the time, stop just above the bridge at Trevor Basin (14D if you can get in) and go for a walk up to Cefn-Mawr - the view is wonderful.

Put it this way - if it weren't for those pesky lift bridges I could have quite happiliy spent the rest of my days bouncing backwards and forwards between Wrenbury and Llangollen.

Quick Edit to add - if you have the time then do the Monty, too. I'm kicking myself to this day I didn't take up the chance of tagging along with "Keeping Up" when they went down in July.

Edited by Chris J W

I've done the llangollen twice, both times hiring from Viking Afloat at Whitchurch.

First time we actually managed to do Whitchurch - Llangollen - Chester - Whitchurch in a week! The second we just did Whitchurch - Llangollen and back with a short tour up the Monty. Much more relaxing, and I would second Chris in saying 'do the monty' if you have time.

Only other addition to Chris's list, if you have the time and energy (and you'll need plenty of the latter!) whilst at Llangollen take the walk up to the ruined castle (Crow Castle, I think it's called - can't remember the welsh!) - climbing up there is bl**dy hard work, but the view is superb.

Peter

Just did this a couple of weeks ago.....as part of journey to / from Middlewich

Surprised how busy it was.......... lots of boats gathering for the Festival at Ellesmere, but many Hire boats (like us ), at least ours had the Traditional looks and features.

Agree about the Sun Trevor Inn.....very good food.

At Wrenbury you have a choice of two pubs, the food at the Dusty Miller is excellent.

The pub at Platt Lane ( The Waggoner Inn ) has disappeared..........well the shell is still standing.

Whitchurch has many Pubs and all the necessary other things.......Supermarkets, Banks, Takeaways etc

Ellesmere is a quaint smallish town with several pubs.

Llangollen itself is quite "Touristy" but not overly so.........lots of traditional shops......Find the Deli shop on the main street and buy yourself a " Welsh Oggie"

The Prees Branch is a worthwhile side excursion.... 1 1/2 mile navigation to the marina....but worth walking /cycling onwards on the unrestored section.

Lots of Kingfishers spotted on the quieter parts.

Very scenic throughout... just a couple of locks with one paddle gear out of action.

We were on the Llangollen 2 weeks ago - it was still busy but I have seen it worse. We had our evening meals in Llangollen at the Bridge End pub ( at the bottom of the steps leading down from the horse drawn boats ). The meals were washed down with a few pints of "Dizzy Blond ".

BW are quite strict about the 48 hour rule at the basin in Llangollen, two boats were told to leave even though it was raining heavy.

There were long queues at New Marton locks as one of the paddles was out of action.

Despite the rain we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Steve

The Swan pub at Marbury, two miles from Wrenbury is worth a walk, with a torch if at night. Half a mile down the lane from the lock. Great food.

In Llangollen itself we ate at a pub who's name I can't recall but it has a balcony built out over the river and is close to the main bridge. Food OK, great view and a massive restored working waterwheel to look at (you can only see it by going into the pub).

A trip on the steam train and a walk to Horseshoe falls is also worth it. You can then walk back down the towpath and visit an interesting Motor museum on the way.

In Llangollen itself we ate at a pub who's name I can't recall but it has a balcony built out over the river and is close to the main bridge. Food OK, great view and a massive restored working waterwheel to look at (you can only see it by going into the pub).

A trip on the steam train and a walk to Horseshoe falls is also worth it. You can then walk back down the towpath and visit an interesting Motor museum on the way.

Agreed with all the above - and a bit miffed at myself for not remembering myself! The pub is "The Corn Mills". Great beer and good food. There's also a damn good chippy just up the road from "The Corn Mills", too.

If you're into your Jazz, the "Royal Hotel" (I *THINK* it's that one!) has live music on, IIRC, Thus, Fri, and Sat night.

There's also a good deli, and two VERY good butchers that do (based on my scale) 8/10 on the pork pies.

As has been said, it is a lovely stretch.

It may have been busy a few weeks ago because of Monty08 which is the Montgomery Canal Festival. From their site, it looks like there were things going on around the weekends 30/31 Aug and 6/7 Sept

I would add the Cotton Arms at Wrenbury and the Willymoor pub at Willymoor lock.

There is also a pub at the Chirk end of the Pontcysyllte which I remember from my university days to have been very good. Can't remember what it is called but as you approach the aquaduct you can see it up on the left "hanging" from the hillside.

Edited by AlanJ

The Grindley Brook staircase locks are fine without a minder, provided you take time to read the instructions first!

Take time to stop off at Fens and Whixall Mosses - they are a fantastic place and as close to wilderness as you'll experience on the canals.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Sun in Llangollen proper (NOT the Sun Trevor, though that's ok) A proper pub with lots of live music, a bizarre collection of locals and a dozen or so proper beers. A little down at heel and a tendency to '70s prog rock on the Jukebox, but the big 'ole pub dog is a real sweetheart (a siberian husky).

I've never got on with the Willeymoor. I suspect they may take the boat trade too much for granted, but the food and beer is ok.

Depsite it's fantastic location and moorings, Lion Quays, the big pub by the A5 with its own moorings is deeply average in every respect.

[There is also a pub at the Chirk end of the Pontcysyllte which I remember from my university days to have been very good. Can't remember what it is called but as you approach the aquaduct you can see it up on the left "hanging" from the hillside.

I fear the Aquaduct Inn may have closed - looked very dark and shuttered when I last drove past.

[There is also a pub at the Chirk end of the Pontcysyllte which I remember from my university days to have been very good. Can't remember what it is called but as you approach the aquaduct you can see it up on the left "hanging" from the hillside.

I fear the Aquaduct Inn may have closed - looked very dark and shuttered when I last drove past.

Fair enough - it is some 17 years since I was last there when Monsanto had a hockey team that played on the grass under the aquaduct!

Someone mentioned the "Dusty Miller" in Wrenbury. I don't dispute their food is ok, but you pay for it. What I really object to about this pub is the price they charge for their wine. £17 or £18 for a very ordinary bottle of plonk which you would pay about £3.50 for in Sainsburys, and any self-respecting pub would charge £10 for with tongue in cheek. They are just taking the p*ss on those sort of prices for poor wine. I now always go to the Cotton Arms across the road: good atmosphere, decent food and sensible prices.

Someone mentioned the "Dusty Miller" in Wrenbury. I don't dispute their food is ok, but you pay for it. What I really object to about this pub is the price they charge for their wine. £17 or £18 for a very ordinary bottle of plonk which you would pay about £3.50 for in Sainsburys, and any self-respecting pub would charge £10 for with tongue in cheek. They are just taking the p*ss on those sort of prices for poor wine. I now always go to the Cotton Arms across the road: good atmosphere, decent food and sensible prices.

Agreed! Wasn't overly impressed with either the food or the beer in The Dusty Miller. Fantastic burgers in the Cotton Arms. And you get to laugh at all those strange people that live in caravans! :lol:

Agreed! Wasn't overly impressed with either the food or the beer in The Dusty Miller. Fantastic burgers in the Cotton Arms. And you get to laugh at all those strange people that live in caravans! :lol:

Agree. We first went to the Dusty Miller in 2000 and were blown away by how good the food was. Went a couple of years ago and the price was inversely proportionate to the quality. £17 for a bottle of plonk is daylight robbery. Problem is, as long as the daft sods pay it then they will charge it.