fishing from a narrow boat

tedlet

Featured Posts

And first prize goes to Bazza. The signs mean do not steal our fish, do not eat our fish, and do not kill our fish ,in that order. And yes the latter is to depict spear fishing.

First prize is one days fishing with me.

Second prize is two days fishing with me.

And the 3rd prize....................?

I wonder why you're not allowed to fish from the sharp end? Or amidships, for that matter. How odd.

BW haven't used the term 'stern'.

Therefore, my interpretation is that they mean the 'side' of the boat that is furthest away from the towpath - as this is the 'back' of the boat when it is being viewed from where they, and others, stand to admire it and/or to check its licence disc.

Essentially, I interpret their wording as being an attempt to be helpful, i.e. suggesting that casting onto the towpath will not yield many (positive) results.....

Edited by US Marines

Either:

a) They're arrogant enough to think they can rewrite accepted nautical terminology.

or

B) They don't know a boat's arse from it's elbow, as well as their own.

or

c) They, as usual, credit boaters with no intelligence, whatsoever.

or

d) All of the above.

I favour d)

I favour d)

I wholeheartedly agree !

(not that anyone would challenge me for fishing off the side of my boat, but if they did, I would certainly tell them that what I said above was how I interpreted their wording - because its true - and I would tell them that, BECAUSE they didn't use the accepted term, their wording clearly does not refer to the stern of the boat).

Nb// I know you've probably already explained this a thousand times but which bit again is the boat's 'elbow' ? :lol:

BW haven't used the term 'stern'.

Therefore, my interpretation is that they mean the 'side' of the boat that is furthest away from the towpath - as this is the 'back' of the boat when it is being viewed from where they, and others, stand to admire it and/or to check its licence disc.

Essentially, I interpret their wording as being an attempt to be helpful, i.e. suggesting that casting onto the towpath will not yield many (positive) results.....

Without getting into a semantic squabble, shurely the best term to use in that instance would be the "far side" of the boat? Presuming of course that you're not standing in the water at the time?

And why not cast onto the towpath? You might catch a cyclist. Now that's good eatin'.

Without getting into a semantic squabble, shurely the best term to use in that instance would be the "far side" of the boat? Presuming of course that you're not standing in the water at the time?

Shhhhhhhh ! - I've got a good argument and I'm sticking to it.

And why not cast onto the towpath? You might catch a cyclist. Now that's good eatin'.

Again, Shhhhhh ! - if every b*gger catches them, there won't be enough for us.

Edited by US Marines

Getting back to fishing on the K and A -----I think you will find that most of it is leased out to various angling clubs and the river sections at the eastern end observe the close season. Once on the canal section there is no close season, i found the fishing excellent for carp once past Pewsey, you also lose the railway for peace and quiet. As I remember most of the angling clubs dont allow day tickets either so if you dont join the various clubs you will be being naughty. I am all for paying my way when I fish but the no day tickets idea is annoying and smacks of angling clubs not being broad minded and anti boating. Maybe B.W. should make it a condition of leasing waters to clubs that they allow day tickets. Some chance.

Happy fishing