Avon Adventure

Nic

Featured Posts

3rd May 2008

For our May 2008 cruise we planned on going from Calcutt to Tewkesbury by going down the River Avon and back up the Severn. We set off late afternoon on 2nd at the boat and decided to just pop up to The Boat Inn at Stockton.

Saturday morning, we set off to head down Stockton Locks. A few boats had passed whilst we were having breakfast, but it was still fairly quiet as we head towards the locks. These locks are wide locks and its more fun sharing, so maybe there will be a boat waiting when we arrive? There was, in fact there were two, which is unfortunate as it means they pair up and head into the lock. Still, as this is a fairly popular section another boater arrived just as we’d readied the lock, so we could share, hurrah!

This canal originally had narrow 7ft locks, but new wide locks were built later to allow both boat and butty to travel through paired up, and so speed up passage through. Oo, just on cue, up pops a boat n’ butty through a lock. Well that was well timed. The old narrow locks are no longer used, but remain visible alongside the wide locks - they mainly just had a wall built at one end and convert it into an overflow. Quite a few of the old narrow locks have concrete slabs placed over the lock chamber itself, which I guess stops accidentally falling in. The exception, to which, will be shown on the next days cruise - we had some gongoozlers on the Hatton flight, a couple (in their 50’s?) with two grandchildren explaining how a lock works. The woman steps backwards from the head of the wide lock and straight into the canal above the lock chamber of the old narrow lock. All was well, save for the obvious embarrassment of the woman in question, and the children had stifled grins obviously relishing the tales they could now embellish upon when they returned home, and again the next school day.

After Stockton flight comes Bascote Locks which includes a staircase pair built 1933-7. We had been following a pair of boats through the locks all morning, and mostly having to set them again unless we found an oncoming boat. After Welsh Road Lock we stopped for lunch on board.

After a leisurely lunch, we spy a boat (nb tricky) coming down the lock behind, and as they were unaccompanied we got ready to set off and then follow them, which they were happy with. After passing through Radford Bottom Lock we spy the Prince Regent Trip boat moored awaiting its next cargo or tourists and sightseers. The weather is now gloomy and overcast and no doubt rain will be on the way at some point. Although we get a short shower, we manage to get to Leamington Spa, and moor in the spaces outside “The Moorings” pub. Looks a nice place for an evening meal.

Video Diary:

Nix0-CruiseToAvonStocktonLocksTimeLapse700-972.jpg

4th May Hatton Locks

A bright Sunday morning, and relatively quiet. Although the canal goes through Warwick, it skirts round the centre so shielding you from most of the city. So you’ve cast off and steering on a pleasant morning watching the world go by and enjoying a coffee. A couple of locks appear accompanied by a pub, The Cape of Good Hope, and you’ve exchanged pleasantries with a few oncoming boats - oh a nice day to cruise. Off around the corner of Budbrooke Junction we travel and then some more locks appear. A few locks, can’t harm, so through one … lock number 26 Hatton Bottom Lock. Oh, must be a few together then, oh yes I can see a second just ahead. Through the second we went, unaccompanied as it seems to be no boats around, then round the corner where we see the 3rd, 4th, and 5th!

Well onwards we press, looking forwards to the next lock. Up the 6th, 7th, and 8th. We seem to be in our stride now, so on to the 9th, 10, and then into the 11th - the half way point in this lock flight. We then hear a couple of shouts from behind and see a boat coming up a couple of locks behind us! Neither of us are accompanied, so we wait - may as well lock up together for the remaining ten locks. Apparently they’d spied us, but were unable to catch us up close enough to be heard. Hmm, I guess we were too much looking forward, than back! Two boat crews make locking easier, which is good because these ten lock are close together. With one crew opening a gate whilst the other goes onto the next we make short shift work of these. Once through we bid farewell to the other boat as its time for us to stop for lunch, quiet well timed because its started to rain. So we sit inside watching the ducks go by and have a leisurely lunch. Once the rain stops, we set off through the cutting to Shrewley Tunnel. The showers return once through the tunnel, but not enough to dampen our enthusiasm to carry on. Its just me, my mac, and a tiller against the rain onslaughts.

The showers don’t last too long and we’re soon approaching Kingswood Junction. Time to leave the Grand Union Canal for the Stratford-on-Avon, with its narrow locks and barrel-roof cottages. This seems to be a quiet section of canal, with the only boat we met was at the first lock when we turned onto the canal - though we did see another several locks down who moored for the evening before we reached them. Once we got to Lowsonford, the first place with a pub after coming onto the Stratford, we too decided to moor for the night.

Video:

Nix0-AvonAdventureDay2209-454.jpg

(

alternative) Edited by Nic

I reckon the boat that appears in your first video, at the very start, distinctive cratch towards camera, is Helvetia owned by David Schweizer, a (currently non posting) long term forum member. A great looking boat, I always think.

I couldn't get the second video to load, for some reason.

I reckon the boat that appears in your first video, at the very start, distinctive cratch towards camera, is Helvetia owned by David Schweizer, a (currently non posting) long term forum member. A great looking boat, I always think.

I couldn't get the second video to load, for some reason.

Oops, my fault I linked to the video file as opposed to the page with the video player (my blog has its only player so I just post links to video files there and just accidentally did same), corrected now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Re Helvetia, looks like it - by looking at segments from orig photo's.

2rp7fow.jpg and 20rpuhg.jpg

Edited by Nic

5th May - Stratford upon Avon Canal

We started the day late, since it was raining when we awoke, but set off once the rain cleared. Studying the Nicholson over breakfast showed we had 11 miles and 24 locks left on this canal, but whether we did it all on one day depended on the weather (or how hardy we felt if rain sets in).

The rain had stopped giving the air a nice fresh feel, but rain clouds still loomed in the sky. This stretch of canal was quiet, though we passed a couple of boaters also enjoying the Spring climate. The locks start off at a steady pace and you can enjoy the scenery and examine the split lock bridges as you pass by. Just before we reached Wootton Wawen we passed NB Oasis Too who’s infamy arises from appearing on BBC News during last years floods, though no one seemed on board at present. We approached the moorings amid quite a commotion - a field was full of cars and hundreds of people were milling around. There was a “walk” event that had attracted equal numbers of ramblers and onlookers. We moored up, visited the farm shop and then had lunch on board. Afterwards we pulled over to the boat yard to get a gas bottle, as the boat only half a bottle (plus an empty) when we arrived this time. We also topped up the diesel since there’d be some river cruising ahead.

The afternoon was sunny, and the view from over Edstone Aqueduct was great - though you had to keep one eye on where the boat was going less you make a large clang against the side. Next up was Wilmcote Locks containing almost half the locks we’d do today. These are well maintained and we did them at a relaxed pace in the warm afternoon. Travelling on you then leave the seclusion of the countryside as you enter Stratford upon Avon with its mixture of industrial and residential waterside buildings. The bridges here have fairly low headrooms but its fine, so long as you remember to duck. As we round the bend after the final lock we see the brick road bridge that is the entrance to Bancroft Basin, which is now instantly recognisable from all the media coverage of floods in 2007. We entered the basin and then found a mooring spot. Time to get ready and go out.

Video Log:

Nix0-AvonAdvD3StratfordCanal172.jpg

(click image for http://narrowboat.blip.tv episode or go to smaller

alternative)

All details as always on my blog http://narrowbo.at

edit to mention seeing Oasis Too

Edited by Nic

6th May - onto the Avon

Having arrived at Bancroft Basin the previous evening the morning, and some of the afternoon, was spent exploring Stratford Upon Avon or at least part of the centre. We set off mid afternoon and as there was a boat already in the lock we thanked them for waiting and lock-shared going down.

This was our first time on the Avon and whilst it was a sunny day, you notice the current as soon as you leave the lock as you enter at right-angles to the flow. First up was Colin P Witter lock, which is a strange affair as it's encased in girders to maintain the lock shape due to high ground pressures ! As it was a sunny and warm day and Stratford a tourist magnet, there were plenty of people milling about watching go through the lock, before watching another come up, and then one go down, ... After leaving the lock you come across a bridge round the corner, which is a multi-arched river bridge so its a case of ensuring you go through the right arch, especially in a deep drafted boat. Shortly after is another lock - its a case of peering in the distance and watching for a small directional sign (white arrow on a blue circle) telling you where the entrance is, lest you miss it. Anonymous Lock was set against us, so we moored up and prepared the lock, then waved in a boat that arrived at that point before following them in.

After these two locks the rest are further spread out, which is what you ideally want for river cruising as it gives you chance to enjoy the open water. Although we'd managed to find another boat to when passing through the locks, there seemed to be very little traffic about, so we really had the river mostly to ourselves. We had to set Stan Glover Lock when we reached it, but this time there were no following boats so we went down by ourselves. On the next stretch we did meet an oncoming boat, but with rivers being far wider you don't pass close so I just waved to the other boat crew who then reciprocated. Binford bridges are up next, fairly easy to navigate as you just go through the central arch which is larger than the rest.

When we were back at Stratford I'd tried to purchase a guide for the river, but couldn't find one (the tourist office sold us a license but didn't have any guides etc, opportunity missed) but luckily we still had the Nicholson. You approach WA Cadbury Lock seeing just the safety buoys stretched across the river, so a quick glance at the map tells you which side the lock entrance is, otherwise it'd all be last minute manoeuvres! No boats around so again we went down alone, and on to Pilgrim lock a mile and a half down river. Again we went down by ourselves, but a cruiser moored up to come up as we descended. It was staffed by just two girls in their 20's wearing shorts and black bikini tops, not what you need when you've got to navigate past them with the output from the weir insistent on trying to push you onto the bank - quick more throttle and eye's straight ahead. We'd had to set each lock, so no one had come up since the boat ahead of us - but how far was that? It was possible no one had been on all day, or since the morning, or they could simply be a couple of bends ahead of us! E+H Billington Lock a mile ahead was set for us when we reached it (obviously by the cruiser we'd passed) so the "boat infront" was at least a while away.

We then reached Bidford-on-Avon, and initially we carried on but then decided to turn back. This was helped by the fact we picked something up on the prop, that I thought I managed to clear with a few blasts of reverse, but hadn't and so made going through the next lock problematic - we got carried onto the safety buoys above the weir, but managed to get free with the help from a group of lads who at that point emerged from the lock on their hire boat. We went to the lock entrance and turned the boat and went back up to Bidford to moor and then go settle our nerves (cleaning the weed hatch could wait until morning).

Nix0-AvonAdvD4RiverAvon580-432.jpg

Click the image above for my BlipTV version or go to the smaller

. Edited by Nic

• 2 weeks later...

Day 5 - 7th May - Bidford-Evesham-Pershore

We awoke to a bright and sunny day. After a leisurely breakfast and a walk to the shop for a paper it was time to set off. The advice for mooring is to face upstream, so we had turned round last night. So after starting up and ready to cast off, we needed to turn back around, which can be daunting if you are used to the still waters of canal cruising. Essentially, though, its just a case of nosing out into the centre and the current starts taking you round. I spy a boat coming upstream, so I complete the turn and then set off, down to IWA lock. A boat is coming up when we arrive - it looks a bit busier today than yesterday. So we wait and then head down. Its easier to just use a single gate in these locks, but I’ve said that before!

Even though we’ve passed a couple of boats, the river still seems quiet. We pass another boat just before Robert Aickman Lock with its strange footbridge across the middle (gives it the feel of a naval dockyard IMO). Shortly after coming through the lock you reach the next one, quite a rarity on the river. George Billington Lock is in its own cutting - you can see a pub over the river, but how to get to it without resorting to paddling seems a mystery.

Once more there’s a lack of boats around, I guess this morning’s activity was a quirt, or boats only come out first thing. We have the river to ourselves all the way to Evesham Lock, which we arrive at a bit early (13:40, so during the Lock Keeper’s Lunch ) and moor up for a spot of lunch ourselves. As we are not in a rush, we set off into the lock at 14:30. This lock has a lock keeper as it marks the boundary between the Lower and Upper Avon, and so as well as operating the lock he checks you have a valid license for entering into the other part. We had a nice chat and apparently we were only the third boat to have gone through the lock that day! So, us not meeting much traffic wasn’t just an effect of our timing on the water but actually a low amount of boats about, which is strange as its Bank Holiday week.

After the lock the river encircles Evesham in a U-shape and we carry on round. There were no boats on the move and only a couple moored up on the waterfront. The book says you have to give your horn a blast when approaching Hampton Ferry, so the ferryman can lower the guide wire. Well it seems to be almost a guess as to where the ferry is, so I gave a blast a couple of times about a minute apart, and it seemed to be fine as we passed unscathed. Shortly after we pass several moored , cruiser style “aka” Tupperware, boats at a private marine before turning into Chadbury Lock. Then we meet another narrowboat, nb Longships, who came up to the lock as we descended, but at least it meant we went by close enough to say hello. After Chadbury, comes Fladbury, and we passed another two boats in between, which makes 3 in the two and a bit miles between the locks. After Fladbury the river went back to boat-free normality, until Tiddle Widdle island where we pass another cruiser. Then we pass another just before reaching Wyre Lock, which is an unusual diamond shaped lock - there were other diamond shaped locks on the Avon, but this seems to be the only one still diamond in shape.

It was now after 5pm and the sun was getting low in the sky, but only a short way to go until Pershore where there seem to be various mooring sites. We stopped before the lock as there seemed to be nice moorings alongside a playing field with easy access to Pershore. So we turned the boat upstream to more and then decided first thing to do was go shopping, since a supermarket was nearby.

HiQ video version:

Nix0-AvonAdvD5LeavingUpperAvon101-458.jpg

(or go to the smaller

version)

8th May

Today was to be a short cruise - one of the crew had toothache and the only dentist we could get an appointment at was Tewkesbury, so we didn’t set off until lunchtime. It had been a fine and sunny morning and this continued into the afternoon, nice day to be messing around on the river.

It seemed quiet still, though shortly after leaving Pershore Lock a powered dingy buzzed around ahead of us. The river winds its way round in an S-bend before we reach Nafford Lock. Each lock on the Avon seems to have its own peculiarities - this one has a swing bridge across the lock chamber that has to be opened before entering - luckily for us it was already open, with help from a passer-by. We had met another narrowboat before the lock, so gave them a wave, but afterwards we were back onto a boatless section. The sharp “180 degree” Swan’s Neck bend was next up, followed by the 16th Century Eckington Bridge, which looks well after 400 years, especially considering it may he seen as a boating hazard at times of abundant “fresh” water entering the river.

Whilst we were waiting for Strensham Lock to fill, we noticed a canal boat in the field, set at an awkward angle. Maybe it had been deposited there by a previous flood? It’s quite likely as the lock has a private residence, the Old Mill House, that has a few plaques depicting the hight previous floods have reached up the wall. So whilst it does seem nice, a modern looking (redeveloped, I assume) mill house beside a lock on its own small island, the periodic flooding must detract a bit - maybe they have built in defences? On leaving the lock you pass an open swing bridge (access to the house), and then some weirs set at right angles, which are fine in this sunny weather, but probably can prove a nuisance when the flow is stronger.

After that we pass yet another marina / boat yard / sailing club that seems to be collecting boats who’s owners use rarely - though I guess not everyone likes to go cruising on a sunny day in May ;-). As you come round the corner from the sailing club you can see the M5 motorway with traffic whizzing by. The bridge is high, giving 25ft clearance, which is probably good news for sail boats using the river. Ooo, look at that, after passing beneath we spy a boat sailing and tacking ahead - I’m sure this’ll look good on film. We’re not in a rush so I can slow down to keep them ahead (not that I need to as they seem to be going pretty fast), but a dilemma - if I stay too far back the boat will look small, but if I get too close they may stop to let me pass!! We soon reach Tewkesbury, and go and find a spot to moor up, before wandering over to the lock keeper to have a mooch through the Trust shop.

Nix0-AvonCruiseToTewkesbury957.jpg

(

alternative)

8th May

It’s quite likely as the lock has a private residence, the Old Mill House, that has a few plaques depicting the hight previous floods have reached up the wall. So whilst it does seem nice, a modern looking (redeveloped, I assume) mill house beside a lock on its own small island, the periodic flooding must detract a bit - maybe they have built in defences?

The mill house looks nice and modern-looking because it's only just been refurbished following a thorough trashing in the July floods last year!

Day 5 - 7th May - Bidford-Evesham-Pershore

Hi Nic,

"Once more there’s a lack of boats around, I guess this morning’s activity was a quirt, or boats only come out first thing. We have the river to ourselves all the way to Evesham Lock, which we arrive at a bit early (13:40, so during the Lock Keeper’s Lunch ) and moor up for a spot of lunch ourselves. As we are not in a rush, we set off into the lock at 14:30. This lock has a lock keeper as it marks the boundary between the Lower and Upper Avon, and so as well as operating the lock he checks you have a valid license for entering into the other part. We had a nice chat and apparently we were only the third boat to have gone through the lock that day! So, us not meeting much traffic wasn’t just an effect of our timing on the water but actually a low amount of boats about, which is strange as its Bank Holiday week."

I guess we were one of the few boats ("Free Time") around. We passed you whilst going upstream on the 7th. Lockkeepers reckoned that the flooding in the previous year had put a lot of visitors (including boaters) off the Avon. If I remember correctly the weather and scenery were glorious.

"The sharp “180 degree” Swan’s Neck bend was next up, followed by the 16th Century Eckington Bridge, which looks well after 400 years, especially considering it may he seen as a boating hazard at times of abundant “fresh” water entering the river."

I believe a Dutch Barcge had got it slightly wrong going down stream the previous week and ended up side on against the arches of Eckington Bridge in a strongish current.

Thankfully it was hauled off a couple of days later by a tractor with no damage done.

regards

Edited by Derek Porteous

I guess we were one of the few boats ("Free Time") around. We passed you whilst going upstream on the 7th. Lockkeepers reckoned that the flooding in the previous year had put a lot of visitors (including boaters) off the Avon. If I remember correctly the weather and scenery were glorious.

Yes, it was glorious weather and well timed as the previous week rad some rain IIRC.

I believe a Dutch Barge had got it slightly wrong going down stream the previous week and ended up side on against the arches of Eckington Bridge in a strongish current.

Thankfully it was hauled off a couple of days later by a tractor with no damage done.

Wow I bet that was a bit scary - its amazing how strong the flow is once it hits on broadside. Hopefully they weren't against the access arch otherwise it'd make it difficult for other boats.

[

Wow I bet that was a bit scary - its amazing how strong the flow is once it hits on broadside. Hopefully they weren't against the access arch otherwise it'd make it difficult for other boats.

Yes, it was. however the river was meant to be closed to navigation with the rain the previous week which, I guess was the reason it got into difficulty. No harm done though. I saw the Dutch Barge after it was rescued and moored up. It was BIG (don't know how it managed to get through the relatively small archway). It was also very smart indeed.

Derek

• 1 month later...

(been a while since the last day's instalment)

May 08 Cruise - Day 7 Tewkesbury to Craycombe

We spent the morning around Tewkesbury before setting off back up the Avon just after 11:30. We first stopped for pump-out and fuel, mooring next to a guy cleaning his boat (looks better speeded up!), since places to do this further on are limited. Also speed upstream can be limited by strong flows in the river, though with little rain recently this wasn’t much of a hamper., so just in case we wanted long periods of full-throttle thought it best to not have to worry about fuel levels. Apart from a couple of boats around Tewkesbury it was a quiet start, with the only boats around moored in marina’s. We got to Strensham Lock for 13:23 to find two cruisers in, and so moored up before the swing bridge as they were coming down.

Onwards we went, nice day to be out and enjoying the scenery, but not really eventful. We got to Pershore lock at 16:10, and as it was too early to moor (in that I wanted to cruise a bit more), we stopped for some groceries as it’d most likely mean we wouldn’t be stopping near a pub tonight, and set off again just before 17:00. The weirs below Wyre Lock can be deceptive as they cause eddies next to the lock - just where you stop to get off to work the lock! I guess its worse when the currents stronger too!

We planned to stop at the moorings by Jubilee Bridge, but when we got there, found they were no more (just a very dilapidated landing stage). It was now 18:30 and the evening was starting to draw in, but still light (it was May after all). Fladbury Lock was just a bit ahead and got there for 19:00. Quite a few of the locks on this river also have overnight mooring, obviously very convenient - but this one didn’t. I suppose we could have just stopped anyway, but as there was some moorings ahead (and I remembered passing them on the way down so knew they were still there) we carried on. It took us 20 minutes after leaving the lock and there was space for one (otherwise we’d have had to double up).

Nix0-AvonDay7TewkesburyToCraycombe371-27.jpg

additionally

version Edited by Nic

• 1 month later...

Day 8, May 10th 2008, on the River Avon

We Set off from our moorings at Craycombe Turn, which are in themselves great unless you need somewhere with supplies or even a nearby pub, on another sunny morning. This is a nice rural section of the river, which keeps itself to itself. After a while we reach the first lock for today, Chadbury Lock, and onwards we continued on this very quiet river, no boats moving and very little flow, even the ferry was quiet. When we got into Evesham we passed a couple of canoes and then a couple of cruisers, so we then moored up to recover from the shock! Okay, we moored up to go and spend the day around town and have lunch etc, it just doesn't sound as good.

Suitably satisfied, replenished, and all "walked out", we set off again and up through Evesham Lock. So it was, we now bid farewell to LANT and on to the UANT. In the locks on the Avon you are supposed to have ropes both aft and forward, and so we did this in Eversham Lock - mainly because it has a lock keeper who insists on it before letting you ascend. Whether we do this in all the locks, I couldn't possibly say. After the lock we continue up what seems our own private river, though we do meet another narrowboat after a while, just the one. We continue on to George Billington Lock, out of which pops a cruiser whilst we wait. We moor up above the lock on the nice moorings there, and spend the night on-board. There is a nearby pub, but its the other side of the river so would mean wading on the weir along side the lock to reach it, hmmm, good job there's beer on-board.

Video:

Nix0-AvonDay8Evesham493-733.jpg

Click on above for the blip.tv version of try the smaller youtube one.

• 5 weeks later...

Day 9 May 11th

Its Sunday (11th May) and the day has a summery glow. A bright sunny morning and as we are moored at a lockside where nearby shops probably mean wading across the weir, we set off straight after breakfast. Its just after 9am, and round the first corner we meet another narrowboater out and about enjoying the morning sun. After an exchanged greeting we reach Robert Aickman New Lock ready for us, its less than half a mile from the last lock. Afterwards in the two-and-a-bit miles to IWA lock we pass one-and-a-bit boats (a narrowboat and a small cruiser aka tupperware by some) Upon leaving IWA lock we passed nb Always waiting to enter. We reached Bidford at 11:15 and so moored up for a break and to go and get a paper and some supplies.

Set off again at 12:30 off through Bidford Bridge and onwards with the river to ourself. We went through Elsie and Hiram Billington Lock and on to Pilgrim Lock. As we entered the lock a boat was following behind, so chance to lock-share. Carried on to Welford and WA Cadbury Lock with nb Nodoka. The sunny Sunday afternoon seems to be bring out more boaters, unless its just busier towards Stratford anyway? The boat we are sharing with thinks we are going quite slow on the river, but the tiller shakes a lot when we open the throttle up, so sounds like something possibly on the prop. No real chance to stop until we reach Stan Glover lock (time now 3pm) and as its ready for us, we go through before waving goodbye to the crew of nb Nodoka and mooring up to investigate. It turned out to be several pieces of fabric and line - not enough to stop the engine, but enough to reduce the effectiveness of the prop. It also took an hour, as it wasn’t straight forward - first the engine has to cool a little and then once down in the engine compartment there’s a lot of grapling with the prop, the fabric, and a pair of scissors.

We set off again at 4.30pm, and off to Weir Brake Lock which we needed to set as no other traffic about since we stopped. After the lock its apparent you are approaching Stratford as the rural aspect is left behind. There’s mooring before CPW Lock, but we decide to go through and moor above.

Video Versions

Nix0-Day9AvonCruiseToStratfordTimeLapse460.jpg

Click image above for Hires version else go for low res Youtube

Day 10 of our cruise sees us leave the River Avon and re-enter the canal system. We awoke to a bright and sunny morning, people walking in the parkland adjacent and birds swimming about on the water. After a walk into town to visit a few shops, we got on our way just after 1pm. First up is Wide Lock (which I assume is called such because the lock on the Stratford-on-Avon Canal are narrow, except this one that’s wide to let river traffic into the basin), an easy right angle turn into (harder I assume if attempted after it has been raining, luckily we’ve had naught but sunshine).

Once through the basin it’s through the road bridge and on to the first lock. Warwick Road lock is just around the corner and there’s a fair wind blowing. All you need is a bit of pace and you’ll easily defeat the crosswind and turn, except that is when there is already a boat in the lock coming down. So back in reverse gear, stop, and the head astern so the boat can pass. Now if it wasn’t for the flats next to the towpath, this could have been tricky as the crosswind would have blown us onto the bank opposite, but luckily it acts as a very good windbreak allowing me to easily moor up to let the boat pass.

So then it was just a matter of going round the corner, against the wind, ducking under the low bridge and into the narrow lock. We went through the next few locks quickly as they were set for us, though a slight delay at lock 53 because the boat inside didn’t want to come out! It seems they’d lost a windlass and spent 10-15 minutes in there probing around with a barge pole (not sure how they expected to get it back if/when they located it), it was slightly annoying because with a boat waiting you would think that either they would give-up or at least explain to the boat rather than wait until a crew member comes to inquire what the delay was.

We hadn’t set off until the afternoon, so this was going to be a short day - it was a toss up between staying another night at Stratford or going somewhere else. There’s a few locks coming out of Stratford and so the really first decent place is Wilmcote. When we reached the Wilmcote locks, an 11 lock flight, we found the locks were full, so decided to operate a leapfrog - two crew leapfrog each other operating locks whilst another steers the boat. This way there is one crew ahead getting the next lock ready whilst you are in one lock. When there’s a boat oncoming, you just wait and let them use the lock first - saves you having to ready the lock. As we did find a boat oncoming it meant at least the locks afterwards should be set right, but still leapfrogging meant the gate would be open for the boat to keep it moving forward fairly quickly. We arrived at Wilmcote at 6pm, so 17 locks and about 3.5 miles in 5 hours, taking about 10 minutes a lock really helped.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Day 10 of our cruise sees us leave the River Avon and re-enter the canal system. We awoke to a bright and sunny morning, people walking in the parkland adjacent and birds swimming about on the water. After a walk into town to visit a few shops, we got on our way just after 1pm. First up is Wide Lock (which I assume is called such because the lock on the Stratford-on-Avon Canal are narrow, except this one that’s wide to let river traffic into the basin), an easy right angle turn into (harder I assume if attempted after it has been raining, luckily we’ve had naught but sunshine).

Once through the basin it’s through the road bridge and on to the first lock. Warwick Road lock is just around the corner and there’s a fair wind blowing. All you need is a bit of pace and you’ll easily defeat the crosswind and turn, except that is when there is already a boat in the lock coming down. So back in reverse gear, stop, and the head astern so the boat can pass. Now if it wasn’t for the flats next to the towpath, this could have been tricky as the crosswind would have blown us onto the bank opposite, but luckily it acts as a very good windbreak allowing me to easily moor up to let the boat pass.

So then it was just a matter of going round the corner, against the wind, ducking under the low bridge and into the narrow lock. We went through the next few locks quickly as they were set for us, though a slight delay at lock 53 because the boat inside didn’t want to come out! It seems they’d lost a windlass and spent 10-15 minutes in there probing around with a barge pole (not sure how they expected to get it back if/when they located it), it was slightly annoying because with a boat waiting you would think that either they would give-up or at least explain to the boat rather than wait until a crew member comes to inquire what the delay was.

We hadn’t set off until the afternoon, so this was going to be a short day - it was a toss up between staying another night at Stratford or going somewhere else. There’s a few locks coming out of Stratford and so the really first decent place is Wilmcote. When we reached the Wilmcote locks, an 11 lock flight, we found the locks were full, so decided to operate a leapfrog - two crew leapfrog each other operating locks whilst another steers the boat. This way there is one crew ahead getting the next lock ready whilst you are in one lock. When there’s a boat oncoming, you just wait and let them use the lock first - saves you having to ready the lock. As we did find a boat oncoming it meant at least the locks afterwards should be set right, but still leapfrogging meant the gate would be open for the boat to keep it moving forward fairly quickly. We arrived at Wilmcote at 6pm, so 17 locks and about 3.5 miles in 5 hours, taking about 10 minutes a lock really helped.

great to read tried to do this last year, got flooded off at stratford. might try again this year.

• 1 year later...

"The sharp “180 degree” Swan’s Neck bend was next up, followed by the 16th Century Eckington Bridge, which looks well after 400 years, especially considering it may he seen as a boating hazard at times of abundant “fresh” water entering the river."

I believe a Dutch Barcge had got it slightly wrong going down stream the previous week and ended up side on against the arches of Eckington Bridge in a strongish current. Thankfully it was hauled off a couple of days later by a tractor with no damage done.

The bridge has been at it again!

Firefighters called to second river rescue Evesham Journal

8:56am Tuesday 1st March 2011

FIREFIGHTERS were called out to two river rescues in as many days when boats became trapped under the same bridge.

Water rescue teams from Evesham and Worcester and a crew from Pershore were deployed to Eckington Bridge at about 1.30pm on Sunday (27) after reports a barge had become wedged at an angle underneath it.

Firefighters used and inflatable path from one of the water rescue vehicles to rescue two people and their pet dog and bring them safely back to dry land. The boat was later towed away.

Just over 24 hours later, water rescue teams were again called to Eckington Bridge where they found another boat had become straddled across the mouth of the bridge.

Crews from Pershore and Upton assisted water rescue teams from Evesham and Worcester in using a boat to rescue three adults and two dogs.

The Red Cross victim support unit was also called to the scene to assist the occupants.