Starter Battery Pooped

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

We picked up our boat from Calcutt on Wednesday (they've done a great job with the blacking, anodes, stern gear and rudder bearings - they've knackered the engine hatch but that can be fixed with a bit of patience and a large hammer :lol::lol: ) but our main concern is that we've found that the starter battery now appears to be dead (about 11V) :lol: - the four domestics seem to be fine.

So we got her started and cruised for an hour or so hoping to charge it up a bit, but when the engine was off it settled on 11V again. (It also didn't appear to be accepting as high-a-charge from the alternator as usual)

That evening, same thing again..

So last night I got home from work and decided to top all the batteries up with a little water and I noticed that under the positive terminal cover on the starter battery is a lot of white "crust". Also the area on top of the battery around each of the screw-in plugs to each cell is a little darker (eg. no dust) suggesting dampness as if something has boiled over/leaked out of each cell.

Despite this after a topping up with water and another good 2 hour charge it seemed to accept a greater charge while the engine was running and then retained a better voltage too.

Have we fried our starter battery, do you think? Or does this improvement mean it'll be okay after a few more charges? (It's the only battery that wasn't replaced a year ago when we bought the boat) And if there is life in the old battery yet, how can I safely removed the white "crust" which can't be helping the contacts on the positive terminal?

Edited by BlueStringPudding

When it's one battery, if you're not hard up for money, think... hours messing about to try and fix it, against, cost of a new one.

If Mr Gibbo doesn't say "it's fine" there'll be lots of messing about... 65 quid for a new 'un if you shop around.

When it's one battery, if you're not hard up for money, think... hours messing about to try and fix it, against, cost of a new one.

If Mr Gibbo doesn't say "it's fine" there'll be lots of messing about... 65 quid for a new 'un if you shop around.

And if you are hard up for money.... (it'll take me two months to pay back the grand on the credit card that paid Calcutt... :lol: )

Concurring with Bullfrog, you can usually wash the crud off. A smear of vaseline round the terminals after re-assembly will usually prevent it from coming back.

It's worth seeing how it goes after a few more charges. Is the Ampower doing its usual thing with the LED's? And when you say "It also didn't appear to be accepting as high-a-charge from the alternator as usual" what are you looking at that gives you that information (voltmeter?)

Definitely go for a normal starter battery, not an expensive semi-traction type which wouldn't like that type of use anyway. Probably it'll be cheaper from a car place than a chandlery. My last starter battery only lasted for about 13 years, isn't that a disgrace?

Edited to ask - did you take the opportunity when the boat was out of the water, to get the name changed?

Edited by Keeping Up

Edited to ask - did you take the opportunity when the boat was out of the water, to get the name changed?

Yes - have notified BW and the insurance company of the change of name. Official (eg. drink related) renaming is happening on Saturday, as we have some friends coming up to do some boating with us. It seemed pointless painting the name on the boat due to the interesting patina our paintwork has, so I've made simple laminated signs to go in the window as a temporary measure (all-be-it and longterm temporary measure! :lol: )

So from tomorrow we are no longer Most Game! (said the Queen to the Bishop) but will be Mabel Stark.

It's worth seeing how it goes after a few more charges. Is the Ampower doing its usual thing with the LED's? And when you say "It also didn't appear to be accepting as high-a-charge from the alternator as usual" what are you looking at that gives you that information (voltmeter?)

The ignition lights weren't on at the time, but both the Mastervolt Battery Monitor and the dial by the ignition told me the voltage was 11V.

And both changed (unusually in agreement with each other!) after I put some water in the starter battery.

Yes - have notified BW and the insurance company of the change of name. Official (eg. drink related) renaming is happening on Saturday, as we have some friends coming up to do some boating with us. It seemed pointless painting the name on the boat due to the interesting patina our paintwork has, so I've made simple laminated signs to go in the window as a temporary measure (all-be-it and longterm temporary measure! :lol: )

So from tomorrow we are no longer Most Game! (said the Queen to the Bishop) but will be Mabel Stark.

Excellent. As you know, it doesn't count until the drink-related part of the ceremony has been completed

The ignition lights weren't on at the time, but both the Mastervolt Battery Monitor and the dial by the ignition told me the voltage was 11V.

And both changed (unusually in agreement with each other!) after I put some water in the starter battery.

Ah, I wasn't sure whether or not you were referring just to the voltage. Definitely worth trying it a few times; if it has been discharged to 11v and run dry it will take some time to recover (if it does). All the same, the fact that it had apparently gone flat when there was no load, does suggest that it may be on its way out.

Ah, I wasn't sure whether or not you were referring just to the voltage. Definitely worth trying it a few times; if it has been discharged to 11v and run dry it will take some time to recover (if it does). All the same, the fact that it had apparently gone flat when there was no load, does suggest that it may be on its way out.

I wondered whether the chaps at the boatyard while running the engine (stern gear and mucho gearbox work) might have left the ignition on?

Oh by the way, the leaking gearbox, Allan: turned out to be the seals and the "stem" :lol: leaking oil, so they dismantled the gearbox, replaced a few bits and put it all back together. Cost around £250 or so but it works a treat now.

The crusty stuff is lead sulphate. It's the lead of the battery posts attacked by battery acid that's been spitting during charging. Soften it with water and wash it off with loads with bicarbonate of soda otherwise the water that you wash it off with just becomes sulphuric acid. Don't let the bicarb get in the battery as it will wreck it.

I suspect your battery has just been left to go flat. After topping it up you'll probably find it will recover over the next few days of charging. Easiest way to tell is with a hydrometer. If your engine is OK (ie starts easily) then, unlike the domestics, a fully fit and healthy engine start battery isn't needed. One that's tired and down to maybe half capacity will usually work fine.

As other have said, if you do need to replace it just get a bog standard diesel engine start battery from a local battery dealer. Maybe 40 quid or so.

Gibbo