Another one bites the dust!

Featured Posts

Formalising build standards is imperative in my eyes. Builders that don't build to the standards that are already set, may be cheaper to buy from, but dearer in the long run! in money and heartache.

If they are not building to required standards anyway, then the extra costs of doing so are only what they should have expected, and been working into their prices already.

Sorry, but whilst no-one wants to, or should, pay over the odds, boaters should be getting what they expect....a conforming boat as a minimum.

It's time self-certification by builders, for the RCD, was really looked at properly by BMF, and perhaps that might weed out some of the chaff. I find it quite frightening that Joe Bloggs can decide to build boats on the side of the cut, self-cert their own RCD, make up a pathetic manual, and be in competition with decent builders, who, like Gary and others, have worked extremely hard to build a reputation on quality& customer service, and are doing a job they know about.

As has often been said, buyer beware!!

(not that i feel strongly about this or anything you understand!! :lol: )

I also second the move to start up a section for expression of experiences with builders...good or bad.....some builders may not like it, but the good ones will be quite happy to see it I'm sure!

I also second the move to start up a section for expression of experiences with builders...good or bad.....some builders may not like it, but the good ones will be quite happy to see it I'm sure!

This has been raised time and time again and Jon doesn't want it to happen.

It isn't a democracy so, if you want to "name and shame" you'll have to set up your own forum.

Sorry!! :lol:

New-ish on here, and hadn't read this suggestion before! Don't shoot me!!!!

Not into name/shaming, just thought it may be of help to potential boat buyers really.

I'll shut up now! :lol:

Sorry, didn't mean to come across so terse!

The problem with bad reports about boat builders is that even the best have dissatisfied customers, it's inevitable.

Conversely, I used to fit boats for one of the nastiest, most dishonest characters I've ever had the displeasure of meeting yet many of his customers went off blissfully happy with their boats, unaware of the corner cutting that had occurred.

The problem with bad reports about boat builders is that even the best have dissatisfied customers, it's inevitable.

Moreover you could probably find more dissatisfied customers of, (for example), Liverpool Boats, than just about any other builder.

That doesn't make LB a bad builder - it just means they have built far more boats than most, so statistically it's going to be easier to find an unhappy customer from them, than a much more minor builder.

I'm reminded that a forum member who had a relatively expensive bespoke boat built was totally unhappy with it, but another forum member using the same builder could only sing their praises.

It's difficult, isn't it?

Sorry, didn't mean to come across so terse!

Conversely, I used to fit boats for one of the nastiest, most dishonest characters I've ever had the displeasure of meeting yet many of his customers went off blissfully happy with their boats, unaware of the corner cutting that had occurred.

Carl,

I agree, you always come across as reasonable and indeed have a good insight into the world of boats/builders.

My idea, initally (after reading Gary & Ally's comments) was for a forum on CWDF's for people to post their "good" experiences with boat builders... posting reports on bad experiences came as an obvious afterthought.

It would be interesting to hear from other "seasoned" forum members their thoughts on a forum that provided "positive" feed back from people that have had boats built... maybe negative comments are not productive in the given situation and "newbies" could still take some comfort from comments that were aimed at good boat builders! which should help them in their quest for their boat.

I think you'll find that any buyers of new boats will be approached by the builder to say if they are happy with the build or not. Any positive comments will then be incorporated into the boatbuilder's literature.. Negative comments should be acted upon by the builder (if he has any sense).

I have frequently seen the sign in many different walks of life: "If you like our product, tell your friends - if you don't, tell us".

Cheers,

Angus

I think you'll find that any buyers of new boats will be approached by the builder to say if they are happy with the build or not. Any positive comments will then be incorporated into the boatbuilder's literature.. Negative comments should be acted upon by the builder (if he has any sense).

I have frequently seen the sign in many different walks of life: "If you like our product, tell your friends - if you don't, tell us".

Cheers,

Angus

Angus,

Thats exactly my point, a forum where potential buyers could read comments from satisfied customers, we all have regularly seen posts from people that have surfed the net and popped up on CWDF's... asking the question, "Who do you recommend to build boats" or words to that effect.

Just in case anyone didn't know the Canal Boatbuilders Association do have a website - http://c-b-a.co.uk/

If potential boat buying customers passed on their requests, expectations and concerns to the CBA it might just be the kick up the arse the association needs.

Gary,

You make good sense with those comments.