diesel bug

Featured Posts

I'm sure this has come up before but I can't seem to find it!

I think I have the bug in my fuel tank-sluttering/stopping engine,worked ok for a while with new filters,spluttering again 2 days later,fuel unused in the tank for some months etc etc

I have heard of Soltron-any good?

what about a bug filter(made in NZ and costs about £125-ouch)

Help !

Alan

I think I have the bug in my fuel tank-sluttering/stopping engine,worked ok for a while with new filters,spluttering again 2 days later,fuel unused in the tank for some months etc etc

Help !

Alan

Yes, the subject has come up many times and although we always encourage people to search for topics in the archives rather than posting the same questions, when I have tried searching I can never find what I want either. Perhaps we are doing something wrong?

Anyway, I use Fuelset at every fill and although it is supposed to kill the bacteria, others here have said that from the articles they have read it mainly emulsifies any water in the fuel, which prevents the bugs from growing in the tank (they live at the interface of the water/fuel). Once you actually have the bug you may need some other product to get rid of it.

I wouldn't go buying any expensive filters. After treating your tank, throw away your old fuel filter and water trap (if fitted) and just get some new ones. Hopefully the bug hasn't fouled up your injectors.

Edited by blackrose

Help !

Alan

Hit the bug hard with a strong dose of any "anti-bug" stuff that says it contains a biocide. Personally I would use Marine 16. At the same time get two new filter/water trap elements and fit on e new set. Even pour some of the "stuff" directly into the filter if possible and you think bug may have got into the injection pump. I do not think Soltron, Fortron or Fuelset contain any biocide.

Depending upon the exact formulation of the stuff you use it might cause "dead bugs" to block your filters so that is why I said buy two sets. If it does happen you have the new filters ready.

The makers of Marine 16 state that the biocide is combusted to non-toxic substances so you could keep on adding that to your fuel at a much lower concentration or you could change to one of the water removers .

Please do not go spending money on "special" filters. It sound as if yours are doing a fine job right now - thats why they block.

I think any of us may well pick bug up from the fuel supplier so i think we all should be using some form of additive, I just use Fuelset to remove the water.

As Tony said, Marine 16 works a treat, google 'em.

Edit to say... and they're great people to deal with. :lol:

And another edit to say...

If people are encouraged to search for the answers instead of asking, won't, eventually, all the questions, apart from the daft ones, be answered and most interaction redundant?

Edited by Smelly

Help !

Alan

Are you sure it's bug and not water in the tank. It settles in the bottom try and siphon out a small amount right from the base of the tank and see if you get a watery or milky liquid out.