3 phase 415v extension lead required

Featured Posts

The second "project" boat that I've got myself involved in it just about ready to overplate after sinking nearly a year ago!

I've been asked to source a longer 3 phase 415v extension lead for the welder - tried google but no luck.

Any ideas where I can purchase one from - probably needs to be at least 10m long.

Stu.

The second "project" boat that I've got myself involved in it just about ready to overplate after sinking nearly a year ago!

I've been asked to source a longer 3 phase 415v extension lead for the welder - tried google but no luck.

Any ideas where I can purchase one from - probably needs to be at least 10m long.

Stu.

just go to a cable supplier, buy 4 core , three and earth and socket plug a 100 miles in length if you wish

If you only want the extension for a specific time, then it may be cheaper to hire from HSS.

If you want something permanent, then you can get the connectors from Screwfix (the MK red Commando range).

For cable, talk to Batt Cables PLC Batt.co.uk, but you might find they will only sell you a large reel.

You may want to check if the cable you need is 4 core or 5 core before you buy although the supplier should ask that.

You'll have to check the amperage you need as well for the plug specs.

There's a choice of 16, 32, 64, 125 amps at least and they're all different sizes and 4 or 5 pin as well.

You may want to check if the cable you need is 4 core or 5 core before you buy although the supplier should ask that.

You'll have to check the amperage you need as well for the plug specs.

There's a choice of 16, 32, 64, 125 amps at least and they're all different sizes and 4 or 5 pin as well.

Not a simple job then!!

I believe its 5 pin, but will check with boat yard.

Not a simple job then!!

I believe its 5 pin, but will check with boat yard.

75% of our equipment is 3phase - some 4 pin & some 5 pin with all of the different amperages I mentioned so you can bet that all the correct cables and plugs always go out with the gear...............NOT.

NB Willawaw suggested using HSS hire and he's spot on as they usually carry most sizes. I have used them occasionally.

It'll set you back 200+ sovs to buy a decent lead and that's trade.

If you struggle to get hold of one give me a shout and I'll see if I can help.

you could buy the plug, and hard wire the socket end, you could use two single ph cables togother, at 415volts the draw is much less just run em side by side into the plug, use the brown for two of the 2 phases, the blue as another and the 2 greens into one earth Perfectly legal!! Only thing with 3 ph, sometimes if you dont guess right an electric motor will run backwards, then you just swap a phase

75% of our equipment is 3phase - some 4 pin & some 5 pin with all of the different amperages I mentioned so you can bet that all the correct cables and plugs always go out with the gear...............NOT.

NB Willawaw suggested using HSS hire and he's spot on as they usually carry most sizes. I have used them occasionally.

It'll set you back 200+ sovs to buy a decent lead and that's trade.

If you struggle to get hold of one give me a shout and I'll see if I can help.

Hi

My 2 penneth. Just buy a plug and socket of the right pin number, get some cable, and make it yourself. 3 phase is no big deal, its just one extra wire and different colours. So long as you put the right colour in the right hole you'll be fine.

Biggles

Hi

My 2 penneth. Just buy a plug and socket of the right pin number, get some cable, and make it yourself. 3 phase is no big deal, its just one extra wire and different colours. So long as you put the right colour in the right hole you'll be fine.

Biggles

Couldn't agree more.

Try City Electrical factors they usually stock all the parts.

Most of the cables have numbers on each phase wire so it's easy to get them round the right way.

It wont have a certificate with it but if the boat yards happy it's a lot cheaper.

Couldn't agree more.

Try City Electrical factors they usually stock all the parts.

Most of the cables have numbers on each phase wire so it's easy to get them round the right way.

It wont have a certificate with it but if the boat yards happy it's a lot cheaper.

Yep City is where I got my stuff from. I have made several over the years.

I even once made a single phase timer to drop a 3 phase line to time a 3 phase process. I couldn't find a 3 phase timer cut off anywhere. I still have it somewhere.

Biggles

Hi

Biggles

biggles, do you actually read others posts before you say exactly the same thing

I have posted several posts on this board, andyou know , not one of you has said thanks or welcome?

how do you justify this?

shame

I guess you are English:) explains some things

Stuart

Glad you're sorted.

Stuart H.

"I have posted several posts on this board, andyou know , not one of you has said thanks or welcome?

how do you justify this?

shame

I guess you are English:) explains some things"

Please explain your statement as I'm English as well!

biggles, do you actually read others posts before you say exactly the same thing

I have posted several posts on this board, andyou know , not one of you has said thanks or welcome?

how do you justify this?

shame

Stuart H I am not sure what your problem is, but that sort of attitude will not get you far in this or any other forum.

When I posted my reply yours was not there so at best you hit send 1 second before me. Besides it never hurts for an idea to be reinforced or discouraged.

As for thanking you. Why don't you go the whole hog and put one of those begging paypal "donates" on your signature if thats what you are here for. This is forum not a welcoming committee or adulation society. We contribute where and when we want for the common good. I think thanks are an assumed thing. Imagine if every reply got a thank you, it would be mayhem and very expensive on bandwidth.

Biggles

Edited by Biggles

Stuart H I am not sure what your problem is, but that sort of attitude will not get you far in this or any other forum.

When I posted my reply yours was not there so at best you hit send 1 second before me. Besides it never hurts for an idea to be reinforced or discouraged.

As for thanking you. Why don't you go the whole hog and put one of those begging paypal "donates" on your signature if thats what you are here for. This is forum not a welcoming committee or adulation society. We contribute where and when we want for the common good. I think thanks are an assumed thing. Imagine if every reply got a thank you, it would be mayhem and very expensive on bandwidth.

Biggles

i am not here to get (points) try posting on www.boatdesign.net, 1000,s members

say something like HI I am new here, and watch the welcome

I have much more to offer than anyone can ever offer me . aged 62 sailing since 13, build pro since 78

but I do appreciate common courtesy

i am not here to get (points) try posting on www.boatdesign.net, 1000,s members

say something like HI I am new here, and watch the welcome

I have much more to offer than anyone can ever offer me .Really aged 62 sailing since 13, build pro since 78

but I do appreciate common courtesy It may well be a common courtesy but it is not always noticed that someone is 'new' and it takes up bandwidth that our host is paying for.

May I apologise to you for not receiving a personal welcome on your arrival.

Please accept a welcome to you from me.

Oh!!.................... is that your dummy over there.

Stu.

Hi Stuart.

I assume you are thinking in terms of a flexible extension lead for a welding set, perhaps outdoors.. Such things are not encouraged these days in an environment where lumps of steel may be thrown around on a concrete floor and perhaps with water laying on the ground..

If you do go for it you will need to consider very industrial type equipment, the cable of minimum length must be of the flexible armoured type usually coded as SY, glands and fittings of a compatible type and waterproof if appropriate.. Remember too a full set of protection devices, usually these days a combined over-current device and earth leakage (ELCB).

Almost as important, 'Be seen' to be doing all the right things, H & S people just love to get their teeth into such installations, the slightest thing that goes wrong, (not that there are slight things to go wrong with mobile 3 phase gear) it will be down to you..

Edited by John Orentas

how do you justify this?

shame

hoots man hes nah havin a go at me then :lol: :lol: