Rememberance Day Bank Holiday Petition

David

Featured Posts

Hi

Back in Febuary I posted on the petition for a new Bank Holiday, to be held in honour of our service men and women, the response is now out and I post it below.

david

Read the Government's response More than 500,000 people have signed this petition, and we are grateful to you all for taking the time to do so.

Your support is a clear sign of the strength of feeling across the United Kingdom that we must do more as a country to recognise the contribution of our Armed Forces, and in particular those who have died or been injured in the service of their country.

The Government recently published The National Recognition Study (new window), undertaken by Quentin Davies MP, which looks at the ways in which the Government, other institutions and the country as a whole can do more to recognise the service of our Armed Forces and Veterans.

One of its recommendations was the institution of a special British Armed Forces and Veterans Day, which would complement the events held around Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday in November to commemorate those who have fallen in the service of our country.

These proposals are being given careful consideration by the Government, alongside other representations we have received to institute a new 'British Day', and as part of these deliberations, we will of course examine the case for introducing a new public holiday.

There is considerable debate amongst supporters of a new special public holiday to remember our Armed Forces and Veterans or our fallen servicemen about when in the year such a day should take place.

While there are a very large number of people - including signatories to this petition - who believe the Monday after Remembrance Sunday is the best option, there are others - including the Royal British Legion (new window) - who do not support that proposal, because they are concerned that a public holiday then would not be in keeping with the solemnity and special status of the Remembrance Sunday commemorations.

Quentin Davies MP has suggested holding the new day close to the current Veterans' Day at the end of June, while others have suggested holding the day to coincide with the anniversaries of the D-Day Landings in early June or of V.E. Day in early May.

We greatly appreciate your contribution to this ongoing debate, and whatever the final outcome, we hope that all signatories to this petition will see that we have very much taken on board their desire to see much greater national recognition for our Armed Forces.

Hi David

I joined the forum in April so missed your petition - I definitely would have signed it. Both my grandfathers lost their lives in World War II (my dad's father in Normandy after the D Day landings aged 25, my mother's father in El-Alamein aged 26). Their loss deeply effected my parents lives and, to a lesser degree, mine.

Please keep us updated.

Many thanks

Ange

I think it's absolutely fantastic that this is one petition the government seem to be taking seriously. It's sad but true that many will forget what the (potential) new holiday is all about.

Many may not agree with the wars we become involved in and the deployment of our troops to certain areas, but our soldiers are doing their duty for their country and that should be respected IMO.

I've got a fair few friends in the army deployed all over the world, all I can say is "keep yer head down lads and stay safe"

[sorry, bit serious for one of my first posts]

a public holiday then would not be in keeping with the solemnity and special status of the Remembrance Sunday commemorations.

I'm in accord with that. A public holiday would just be an excuse for most people for a day off work, with the majority just enjoying the extra break, but not aware of nor recognising the sacrifices that were made that enabled them to be free to take it. Whilst I'm always in favour of a paid day off work, (aren't we all....?) I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of people who gave up their lives for our freedom. They deserve recognition for their service, their dedication to duty and the sacrifices they made, but I remain to be convinced that a public holiday is the right and proper way to go about it.

I'd rather continue the present Remembrance Sunday ceremonies as they are, and not have them reduced to just an excuse for a day off work.

Janet

If the proposed bank holiday were introduced, it would only be a matter of time before we were commemorating the Falklands fiasco and the Iraq iniquity as well. Although I have nothing but respect for the millions who died in conflict over the last hundred years, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that armed conflict should continue to be glorified in any way.

We should have grown out of it by now. My grandfather was wounded in the trenches, but he was only there because he was told to go.

The people in power, that put ordinary men and women at risk, are still at it!

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that armed conflict should continue to be glorified in any way.

I fully concur with you. However I feel that this is the wrong approach. Surely we're remembering those who gave their lives (wherever and for whatever reason), not where they did it or why.

I'd go so far as to say that anyone killed in their line of duty or as an innocent victim should be remembered, no matter when or where their death happened. Perhaps any proposed Bank Holiday should be angled that way, rather than just remembering troops and others who gave their lives in conflict or as a result of it.

If the proposed bank holiday were introduced, it would only be a matter of time before we were commemorating the Falklands fiasco and the Iraq iniquity as well. Although I have nothing but respect for the millions who died in conflict over the last hundred years, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea that armed conflict should continue to be glorified in any way.

We should have grown out of it by now. My grandfather was wounded in the trenches, but he was only there because he was told to go.

The people in power, that put ordinary men and women at risk, are still at it!

Its not to commemorate any wars its to commemorate the lads and lasses that have died or been injured past present and future

"to be held in honour of our service men and women... "

"...who were there to kill the enemy because somebody thought it was a good idea."

WW1, WW2 and their conscripted military personnel is one thing - volunteer military doing their job at the behest of their political leaders is another.

It amazes me when poor little Johnny is killed in Iraq (or wherever) and poor little Johnny's mum goes on telly to say what a shame it is - that is what he signed up for, voluntarily! I'm sorry, but wasn't the risk part of the attraction?

There's an old naval expression - 'You shouldn't have joined!'

Ian

I apologise if i am wrong on this but i always thought that the majority of british troops who served their country during the first world war were volunteers

I apologise if i am wrong on this but i always thought that the majority of british troops who served their country during the first world war were volunteers

I don't know whether they were the majority or not, but a significant number were volunteers.

My Great Grandfather fought in the Boer war, and then at the age of 39 volunteered for action in World War 1.

He was wounded in action, and died from his injuries 3 days later.

The work done by the Haig charity and the poppy appeal over the years has been an outstanding tribute to all the men and women who have given their lives in the name of duty to this country.

The Rememberance Day services, and particularly the annual parade in Whitehall are a solemn, yet fitting way to remember their sacrifice and our debt to them.

If anything we should be doing more to support and uphold a proud tradition. It should be a time for respect and quiet reflection.

Personally I fail to see how another bank holiday would achieve anything in their name.

"...who were there to kill the enemy because somebody thought it was a good idea."

WW1, WW2 and their conscripted military personnel is one thing - volunteer military doing their job at the behest of their political leaders is another.

It amazes me when poor little Johnny is killed in Iraq (or wherever) and poor little Johnny's mum goes on telly to say what a shame it is - that is what he signed up for, voluntarily! I'm sorry, but wasn't the risk part of the attraction?

There's an old naval expression - 'You shouldn't have joined!'

Yes, the Army is full of immature young men, who joined because some Army Careers Officer told them how exciting it would be.

They only find out the truth once they have no option to leave.

A huge proportion of those in Iraq and Afghanistan joined voluntarily, but have no option to leave.

Call me cynical, but maybe a better way to recognise those who gave their lives in past wars would be to enshrine the rights they fought for in a written constitution, and for the government to protect those rights with vigour.

"here have a day off, but ignore the fact half the freedoms and liberties these people won with their blood are being pissed up the wall"

I'm in accord with that. A public holiday would just be an excuse for most people for a day off work, with the majority just enjoying the extra break, but not aware of nor recognising the sacrifices that were made that enabled them to be free to take it. Whilst I'm always in favour of a paid day off work, (aren't we all....?) I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of people who gave up their lives for our freedom. They deserve recognition for their service, their dedication to duty and the sacrifices they made, but I remain to be convinced that a public holiday is the right and proper way to go about it.

I'd rather continue the present Remembrance Sunday ceremonies as they are, and not have them reduced to just an excuse for a day off work.

Janet

As an ex-Serviceman, I agree with Janet. But then I would, wouldn't I? I'm retired!!!

Keithtug

I think the way Remembrance Sunday is commemorated now if a fantastic and very fitting tribute. These days it is accepted that whatever you are doing you just come to a halt for a few moments in quiet reflection. How many of you have been at an event or even in a supermarket when this has occurred. Everything stops.

Of course everyone wants another Bank Holiday! After all it is a day off work, another long weekend when we can go boating!!!!! who will really remember what it is there to commemorate? It has taken many generations for us to start remembering that the Bank Holiday in the spring is to commemorate fluffy chickens and chocolate eggs and the one in December is to commemorate wrapping paper manufacturers and turkey farmers.

How on earth will they manage to to get people to remember that this one is not to commemorate Guy Fawkes when his special commemoration is so close to this date and parents seem duty bound to use these commemorations throughout the year to spend vast sums of money they can often ill afford.