cats on boats

lizzydoodrop

Featured Posts

Cats are such fun. I have four kittens at 14 weeks old and their personalities are coming out well. They are all different but all been treated the same way. They have been introduced to the geese and chickens and have found out all about rodents. Big sister and mum are feeding them live food.

Hi, we live on a widebeam with 3 dogs and a very bossy bengal called smegs! She was a resue and when we moved on the boat was 4 years old. She often falls/jumps in is a great swimmer and will steal fish from under the fishermans nose. She is chipped and wears a collar with the boat name & it's amusing to hear people call her 'fatboy'! She hunts with a bell onbut doesn't bring anything in through the cat flap, luckliy. She gets out of the cat flap even in its locked, so we have bought her a dog cage which she sits in safety when we travel> Unless we forgot last week, so I spent 5 days wondering up & down the towpath in berkhamstead calling her. Needless to say she appeared lookijng a bit dusty and not very amused that we had moved the boat. She is 11 now nad in spite of what o/h says we wouldn't change her for the world. She keeps the dogs in order as well. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My cat lived with us on the boat from being 8 weeks old, he fell in the canal a few times as a kitten so best to supervise but he learnt his lesson and fell in a bit less as he got older. He never got used to the engine noise though and tried to escape (he even managed to jump from the moving boat onto the bank), I think it depends on the cat and maybe try putting the engine on for a little bit everyday. But alas in the end it wasn't the canal that killed the cat it was the road, so I don't think boats are any more dangerous than houses.

I've known a lot of others who have kept cats on boats even just for weekend trips. Our neighbours had a cat which wasn't aloud out which I hugely disagree with, boats aren't as big as houses and they get damp! If you have a canal cat let it explore they love watching the water and wildlife, I think my cat had a happy life on our boat!

What do people think about dogs on board? I live on a 46" narrowboat and I've wanted a dog for a long time but I'm worried that the space is too small for a dog to be left alone in the daytime. I work four days a week, my partner works various days. If I was to get one it would probably be a rescue dog and small.

I must apologise to my very grumpy ship's cat.

The other night I pushed open the side hatch only to hear an ominous 'splooosh!' - poor mog had been sitting peacefully on the gunwale admiring the stars. I've seen her soggy before but never actually seen her fall or swim - was VERY impressed with the speed she got to the front of the boat and up a 15" stone bank. Never even got her head properly wet. What did surprise me was that I thought she'd always got out before via the back fender - never thought she'd head for the front and a vertical bank. She'd have had a bit of a shock if it was piled...

I must apologise to my very grumpy ship's cat.

The other night I pushed open the side hatch only to hear an ominous 'splooosh!' - poor mog had been sitting peacefully on the gunwale admiring the stars. I've seen her soggy before but never actually seen her fall or swim - was VERY impressed with the speed she got to the front of the boat and up a 15" stone bank. Never even got her head properly wet. What did surprise me was that I thought she'd always got out before via the back fender - never thought she'd head for the front and a vertical bank. She'd have had a bit of a shock if it was piled...

That's a bit unfair. Put a scramble net out for her so that you don't get a soggy dead moggy in the morning.

Our neighbours had a cat which wasn't aloud out which I hugely disagree with, boats aren't as big as houses and they get damp! If you have a canal cat let it explore they love watching the water and wildlife, I think my cat had a happy life on our boat!

The cats have to compromise with us on the "locked in" thing. We have Albie who, given half a chance will wander for two or three days when he's somewhere he fancies. So when we're cruising we'll write him in some exploring time a couple of times and he has to live with staying in the rest.

He's just had us bouncing to and from Icknield Port (we can't stay there weekdays for getting in the way of BW) for a couple of days until we managed to outwit him so as to keep the b*gger him in.

I have had a cat now for 2 months. I kept her in becuase she had not had jabs or been spayed. I let her out last weekend and she loves it. Her personality has changed a lot as well. She seems much more chilled out and very happy to see me when I get back from work.

Hi. Bit late for this one maybe but we just got a cat from Battersea about 5 weeks ago. He's five. He's only been out about three time so far and is finding his feet so to speak. He is scaring the shit out of me at the moment as he keeps looking like he's goign to jump from the gunnels into the water. he hasnt yet.

We ran into a family moored in Penton Hook with a couple of cats and kittens. They recommended letting a couple of skinny rope fenders dangle down right into the water. All their cats had tumbled in at some point — most recently a very small kitten — and invariably they climbed out via the ropes ... bedraggled and shocked, but well.

Seemed like a good idea.

I have had a cat now for 2 months. I kept her in becuase she had not had jabs or been spayed. I let her out last weekend and she loves it. Her personality has changed a lot as well. She seems much more chilled out and very happy to see me when I get back from work.

Hi Tim, didn't know you had got a cat. I'd love to meet her, hopefully we'll bump into you at some point soon. We'll be getting a cat at the end of the summer (going away too much during the summer to look after a new kitten). Have really missed having a cat on the boat since our poor old Jasper died. He was very old though.

Hi Tim, didn't know you had got a cat. I'd love to meet her, hopefully we'll bump into you at some point soon. We'll be getting a cat at the end of the summer (going away too much during the summer to look after a new kitten). Have really missed having a cat on the boat since our poor old Jasper died. He was very old though.

We have 3 kittens aboard currently, two are spoken for already but still have one looking for a good home. We're on southern GU in Herts. If anyone knows anyone's who's interested please send a PM.

Cheers

Les

Our cat Blue came in the other day, with a wet back half. The rest of him (i.e. the front half) was bone dry.

No idea how he managed that !!

We ran into a family moored in Penton Hook with a couple of cats and kittens. They recommended letting a couple of skinny rope fenders dangle down right into the water. All their cats had tumbled in at some point — most recently a very small kitten — and invariably they climbed out via the ropes ... bedraggled and shocked, but well.

Seemed like a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just wondering how your cats are coping with this heat? Went onto my boat today and it was really hot inside as we are moving full-time onto our boat at some point and was wondering about the heat and how my cat would cope? I currently do not have a cat flat fitted.

I was just wondering how your cats are coping with this heat? Went onto my boat today and it was really hot inside as we are moving full-time onto our boat at some point and was wondering about the heat and how my cat would cope? I currently do not have a cat flat fitted.

Our two adult cats come and go via a cat flap so they seem as happy as always. The kitten is on the boat all day but he seems happy enough too. There's plenty of water to hand and I keep many of the curtains closed and off side windows ajar so it stays quite cool, the cream roof may help.

Cats are quite sensible at coping with extremes of temperature (far more so than humans) ours will find the coolest place on the boat and will use the least possible amount of energy until it cools down in the evening . . .

The only assistance required from us (his humble servants) is to make sure that there is an ample supply of fresh water (and food) for him.

Edited by NB Alnwick

Cats are coping fine, lying about in the shade all day. FluffyPsycho also used to be a keen swimmer, but has given up on this recently.

Given how hot the boat gets inside, I think a cat flap is definitely needed - you can get locking ones, for when you really need to keep them in (or out).

B.B.

• 2 weeks later...
Our two adult cats come and go via a cat flap so they seem as happy as always. The kitten is on the boat all day but he seems happy enough too. There's plenty of water to hand and I keep many of the curtains closed and off side windows ajar so it stays quite cool, the cream roof may help.

gallery_8650_480_82531.jpg

Les,

Just wanted to give you an update on how 'Norman' aka 'Lola' is settling in. She basically owns the boat and runs my life. She's due her shots this weekend and a catflap will follow so she can traumatise the tow path. It was ace meeting you both and thanks again for the opportunity to adopt :lol:

gallery_8650_480_82531.jpg

Les,

Just wanted to give you an update on how 'Norman' aka 'Lola' is settling in. She basically owns the boat and runs my life. She's due her shots this weekend and a catflap will follow so she can traumatise the tow path. It was ace meeting you both and thanks again for the opportunity to adopt :lol:

Hi Leonie,

It great to meet you too, we're both very pleased you took her on, Im sure you'll both have many happy times together.

The last black/white kitten was adopted the following week, you were right it didn't take long, so we are now returning slowly to 'normal' with just our two older cats and the mad collie !

Keep in touch and I promise I'll post the 'bat' picture sson lol

Les+Heidi

• 3 months later...

A bit late, but we had a RSPCA inspection today to see if we were suitable to re home a cat, the lady was unsure on the phone but more than happy when she came to the boat. We pick up Sindbad the sailor cat in the morning.

My other half just commented that he has the words Sin and Bad in his name :lol:

Wish us luck! :lol:

I have two very happy cats (see my profile pic for proof!) Genghis is 15 years old and Rasputin is 13 years old, I moved aboard full time in January this year and have had no problems with them, they even took to using a litter tray, something they hadn't done since kittens. The only noise they've never liked is the sound of the vacuum cleaner!

Blimey, just seen the names of your cats, reminded me of 2 rabbits we had called Rampton and Broadmoor because they were mental. How bad are your cats?

I have lived on the boat now for 2 years I used to have a cat on the boat but he didn't like the engine noise or any noise come to think of it. He was 15 years old when he moved onto the boat and sadly died at new year. I am thinking of having another cat but wondered if cats were compatable with boats or do they all not like noise

our cats live on our boat and are happy. we did let them out when they were younger till a bloke walking his dog off the lead let his dog attack the cat he thought this was really funny untill he saw my husband coming up the towpath and off he ran the vets bill was nearly £240.while we were at the vets we told him that the cats eat mice and rats and they can get some kind of worm off rodants so they have to be wormed, also if you use a litter tray the work surfaces have to be cleaned with an antibact spay (cats in litter tray doing what they do then walking traces of cat poo over surfaces )you can catch some complaint that i cant spell off the poo.we keep our cats in but we have made some gates for front and back so they can see out and keep cool.and i would rather have a cat than a dog crapping over the towpath