Boat Nearly Ready

Tonyl

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

Not long to go now. Can anyone recommend a good web site for Narrowboat fenders. If no web sites, what about chandlers you could recommend (Midlands/Northampton area approx)

Anything to watch for buying and fitting such stuff ?

May as well ask while I am on, will I need an anchor or a Mud weight, or both for a 57' boat. We intend to moor at Crick ,so I guess that will be our initial cruising area.

I am sure after delivery I will be full of more questions, but so far, this site has helped me immensely ,through the great wilderness of starting up.

Hope someone can oblige

Regards

Tony

Hi everyone,

Not long to go now. Can anyone recommend a good web site for Narrowboat fenders. If no web sites, what about chandlers you could recommend (Midlands/Northampton area approx)

Anything to watch for buying and fitting such stuff ?

May as well ask while I am on, will I need an anchor or a Mud weight, or both for a 57' boat. We intend to moor at Crick ,so I guess that will be our initial cruising area.

I am sure after delivery I will be full of more questions, but so far, this site has helped me immensely ,through the great wilderness of starting up.

Hope someone can oblige

Regards

Tony

We get all ours from Brian McGuigan who is based near Walsall and can post them if required.

http://furnessvale.blogspot.com/

Tim

There's a liveaboard (think he's the warden) at Cosgrove called Mick who makes nice fenders at sensible prices.

Ah is that where he is now ?

I presume he is the one who used to be mooring warden moored opposite the Aylesbury arm.

No wonder we couldn't find him!

We ended up paying chandlery prices, (although Uxbridge Boat Centre nothing like as dear as some places....)

Ah is that where he is now ?

I presume he is the one who used to be mooring warden moored opposite the Aylesbury arm.

No wonder we couldn't find him!

We ended up paying chandlery prices, (although Uxbridge Boat Centre nothing like as dear as some places....)

Yep, thats the guy Alan, I got our's off him when they were at Marsworth and they moved to Cosgrove over winter. They moor at the far end of the straight stretch before the lock. probably 20-30% less than chandlery prices when I got ours last year.

Les

If you want tubular rubber fenders or D section rubber tube there's a company called Walker Rubber & Plastics http://www.walker-rubber.co.uk/ who I ordered from. They will make to your specs and unlike most of the other suppliers have no minimum order quantity.

For my fenders I ordered 60mm OD / 33mm ID rubber tube which gave a wall thickness of about 13mm. They were all 0.7m long. These would be far too thick for a narrowboat but I wanted something substantial for my barge. I then just cut about 2m of 10mm rope for each one which was doubled over and pulled through each tube. It was probably no cheaper than buying ready made, but they are much better fenders than I've seen in any chandlery.

For a narrowboat you'd probably want something like 45mm OD / 22mm ID tube, or ask what stock sizes they have as this may be cheaper.

Edited by blackrose

Richard 07817364496 makes really good fenders at pretty good prices.

Worth giving him a ring.

Not sure about his mail order charges though.

Definatly get them from Richard. I bought mine from him. He is a really nice guy and is a liveaboard on the K&A.

He also has a website: clicky