Islington & Maida Hill Tunnels

blackrose

Featured Posts

What's the ettiquette for the Maida Hill & Islington tunnels on the Regent's Canal?

I'm going to be taking a widebeam through and called BW to ask if I have to book a passage. After much deliberation they came back and said that if it's clear when I enter (and bear in mind that Islington tunnel is nearly 1km long), anyone who sees my tunnel light will have to wait before they enter.

After getting off the phone I wondered if the person had actually heard me tell her it was a widebeam? I'm assuming these tunnels are wide enough to allow two narrowboats to pass, so how is anyone who sees a tunnel light at the other end supposed to know it's attached to a widebeam? :lol:

Edited by blackrose

What's the ettiquette for the Maida Hill & Islington tunnels on the Regent's Canal?

I'm going to be taking a widebeam through and called BW to ask if I have to book a passage. After much deliberation they came back and said that if it's clear when I enter (and bear in mind that Islington tunnel is nearly 1km long), anyone who sees my tunnel light will have to wait before they enter.

After getting off the phone I wondered if the person had actually heard me tell her it was a widebeam? I'm assuming these tunnels are wide enough to allow two narrowboats to pass, so how is anyone who sees a tunnel light at the other end supposed to know it's attached to a widebeam? :lol:

The rule is NOT to use the tunnels when you can see a boat coming the other way.

Information used to be posted especially at Islington to this effect.

Nevertheless I've seen ignorant boaters enter Islington when Beauchamp or My Fair Lady have been in transit because they think the rules are the same as Blisworth, Braunston and they dont expect to be meeting a wide beam!

Just checked on the Waterscape guides (Here) and both are One Way.

So, as they say, make sure it's clear before you enter and then the onus is on the other boat to wait before you exit.

(And in case you didn't know, Locks 12,11,10, 1A and 1B all need BW keys - according to the guide, anyway)

Maida Hill is fine - its very short and you can see each other from the ends. Islington is long but straight and you will see the light of another boat. If someone does decide to drive towards your light then you will reach the halfway mark first (give it some welly to be sure) - then when you do meet you will be past the halfway mark and it will be up to them to go back. You will have both right of way and distance to the end in your favour. If you do see a light starting into the tunnel give the horn a good long blast.

I worked on the passenger boats on the Regent's Canal for many years and it worked as follows:

Maida Hill tunnel is One Way Only, ie you can follow a boat through but don't try and pass (two narrow boats) in the tunnel. The reasons for this are (i) although Maida Hill is slightly wider at the waterline than Islington Tunnel it has fairly severe tumblehome and a boat that gets close to the sides (while passing another boat) will be likely to catch the edge of its roof on the brickwork, and (ii) some of the passenger boats that ply this stretch have wide roofs (and perhaps pax with their hands over the side of the boat) and it is not a good idea to pass in the tunnel (although it can be done and I have done it).

Islington Tunnel is long but straight and a clear view can usually be had into the tunnel from either end, unless it is obscured by fumes etc. Wide boats need give no prior notice of passage and can simply motor into a clear tunnel (or follow another boat of course). The onus is on an arriving boat to establish that the tunnel is clear of anything they can't pass, ie if there is any doubt as to the width of an approaching boat - wait! It is fine for two narrowboats to pass in the tunnel and there is room to avoid touching your roof on the walls. I have passed through this tunnel many times on the wide 'Water Buffalo' and no-one ever attempted to enter the tunnel the other way - although we did display twin headlamps, which may have helped.

Mention should also be made of Eyre's Tunnel or Lisson Grove bridge which has very severe tumblehome for westbound boats and it is not a good idea to pass two narrowboats in this bridgehole.

Hth.

Steve

Hi Blackrose.

Limehouse cut isnt really semi tidal, ive been around there all winter and it doesnt change.

watch out for the canal going down to limehouse though. It was frequently very low on water. i dont think this is a tidal thing, its just a easily drained pound. and full of plastic bags

having seen your boat for the first time in over a year this week ( last week) at rickmansworth, I had forgotten how damn wide yours is. it looks wider than any other wide beam ive seen.

that was my orange dinghy you didnt spot until you passed it at the weekend up near batchworth, above stockers lock. I tried to say hello but you were busy being surprised by the dinghy.

Ive moved it out of the way now. :-)

the tunnels in london are easy, you can see if theres anything coming. ive not had any problems with people forcing their way in at the same time as me.

Edited by honey ryder

Yes,

Just to confirm, boards are very clearly in place at both ends of both tunnels saying you must not enter if someone is coming the other way.

Sod debates about whether you are more than halfway through or not, if someone ignores the notice, the onus is surely on them to reverse out.

Alan

But Steve, will you admit to weeing off the back of the boat in the Islington tunnel (as is traditional for London trip boat drivers)

Not in Islington Tunnel, no, as I usually went through there in Water Buffalo which is (was?) steered from the inside front like a motor coach. Would have looked a bit uncouth, don't you think?

Steve