Self pump out kit (240v)

woodowl

Featured Posts

Wow can't think of anything worse than a dirty toilet tank!!!!

Can't undertand the comparison between canal banks being untidy and the discusting mess left by self pumpout when I come to use the elsan that were designed for cassette toilets. I have been told by BW that they are looking at banning these at all Elsans.

Perhaps BW should provide more facilities for self pump out, after all, part of our licience fee is to provide toilet emptying facilities so why sould that be for the exclusive use of cassette users.

discusting mess left by self pumpout when I come to use the elsan that were designed for cassette toilets. I have been told by BW that they are looking at banning these at all Elsans.

I understand your point here – people should not be using pump out kits at elsan points that were not designed to take pump out loads.

However, I see nothing wrong with the use of self pump out kits at points designed to handle them.

I have (so far) not come across any problems caused by folk self pumping out at designated self pump out stations.

Our tank can last us up to around 4 weeks with just the two of us on board. The tank has a level indicator and as soon as it indicates half full, we start looking for somewhere suitable for self pump out (BW put up signs to indicate that a sanitary station is suitable – no sign and we don’t use it). If we don’t find anywhere after about a week (tank three quarters full), we will visit a marina and pay for a pump out (the equivalent cost of around 4 bottles of wine gone).

We also carry a Thetford portable cassette toilet in cases of emergency (toilet failure, stuck in a location etc.). So far, the Thetford has never needed to be used.

I find it strange that anyone would want to call for a ban on self pump out just because of a few idiots out there with no consideration for others. You could also say that we should ban cassettes because people empty them in hedges around the system (we have seen many instances of this – the dogs sniff the offending remains out!). Where do we end calling for things we personally don’t like to be banned ??

Eddited to add:

WARNING: WARNING: WARNING: We will be back in the Braunston area in a week or so and the morning we leave, probably around 07:00 or there abouts, we will be using the self pump out facility just along from the Stop House………….Any one interested is very welcome to come along and inspect the facility when we have finished using it :lol:

Edited by Ernie

Perhaps BW should provide more facilities for self pump out, after all, part of our licience fee is to provide toilet emptying facilities so why sould that be for the exclusive use of cassette users.

I think you will find that Elsans were designed for cassettes not self pump out. BW do provide pump outs (at a cost) to me the choice is tanks that need pump out and in that case use BW or marina pump outs., or cassettes that use Elsan disposal points.

Our tank can last us up to around 4 weeks with just the two of us on board. The tank has a level indicator and as soon as it indicates half full, we start looking for somewhere suitable for self pump out (BW put up signs to indicate that a sanitary station is suitable – no sign and we don’t use it). If we don’t find anywhere after about a week (tank three quarters full), we will visit a marina and pay for a pump out (the equivalent cost of around 4 bottles of wine gone).

We also carry a Thetford portable cassette toilet in cases of emergency (toilet failure, stuck in a location etc.). So far, the Thetford has never needed to be used.

I find it strange that anyone would want to call for a ban on self pump out just because of a few idiots out there with no consideration for others. You could also say that we should ban cassettes because people empty them in hedges around the system (we have seen many instances of this – the dogs sniff the offending remains out!). Where do we end calling for things we personally don’t like to be banned ??

Eddited to add:

WARNING: WARNING: WARNING: We will be back in the Braunston area in a week or so and the morning we leave, probably around 07:00 or there abouts, we will be using the self pump out facility just along from the Stop House………….Any one interested is very welcome to come along and inspect the facility when we have finished using it :lol:

Think BW are looking at a ban for self pump out at Elsan for the simple reason that is not what they were designed for and because of the complaints there have been.

As for people that empty cassettes in the hedges I agree that is digusting at least it is in the hedge as aposed to the dogs who do it right in the middle of the towpath!!

Will decline the offer to come and watch you pump out but sure anyone near will be able to smell it lovely at 7am!!!!!!!!

I think you will find that Elsans were designed for cassettes not self pump out. BW do provide pump outs (at a cost) to me the choice is tanks that need pump out and in that case use BW or marina pump outs., or cassettes that use Elsan disposal points.

If that is the case, why have BW taken the time and effort to put up signs to advise that certain sanitary stations are suitable for self pump out ???

Think BW are looking at a ban for self pump out at Elsan for the simple reason that is not what they were designed for and because of the complaints there have been.

We have covered over 1500 miles in the last year and chat to loads of BW folk on our travels. Not once have we ever heard any mention of self pump out sanitary stations being re-designated as elsan points only. I will be very suprised if it ever happens.

As for people that empty cassettes in the hedges I agree that is digusting at least it is in the hedge as aposed to the dogs who do it right in the middle of the towpath!!

I don't believe the two can be compared. Dog's don't know what they are doing, people do (or should do). In both cases, it is the owners fault for dumping their cassette or letting their dogs foul without clearing it up.

Will decline the offer to come and watch you pump out but sure anyone near will be able to smell it lovely at 7am!!!!!!!!

Now why should a pump out smell any worse than the contents of a cassette ?? I have never noticed much difference.

Edited by Ernie

My point being that every boater that buys a liecence helps to fund the cost of providing toilet emptying facilities. It would appear from the contributions on this thread that many people now have pump out tanks on thier boats so why shouldn't they have equal access to emptying facilities at equal cost. These people are in effect paying for the Elsan points that they can't use in addition to paying to have thier tanks emptied.

My point being that every boater that buys a liecence helps to fund the cost of providing toilet emptying facilities. It would appear from the contributions on this thread that many people now have pump out tanks on thier boats so why shouldn't they have equal access to emptying facilities at equal cost. These people are in effect paying for the Elsan points that they can't use in addition to paying to have thier tanks emptied.

Hi Tosher,

I agree. We all pay for facilities such as water supply, rubbish disposal and sanitary waste disposal (should it be bit by bit as in cassette or in bulk as by pump out). As far as I am concerned, if BW are considerate enough to designate certain sanitary stations as suitable for self pump out, I am going to use them (considerately).

I could go on about the odd occasion (and they are few) that I have wanted to pump out and have had to wait for the guy with the trolley load of (four) cassettes that he is taking half the day to empty, rinse and titivate – but I won’t. I am quite happy to live and let live (on this matter).

I am now off to open the second bottle of wine that I can almost consider as free due to the amount of money I have saved by pumping out myself.

Happy Friday to all - pump out and cassette :lol:

Hiya Chris,

We have a Jabsco Utility 80 240v pump for pump out. I actuallly ran it the other day without our shore power plugged in (not on purpose) and no engine or genny running and it worked just fine.

Am very pleased with this unit, quiet and very powerful - empties a full 97 gallon tank in less than 10 mins and through 20-30 metres of layflat hose on the output side; no problem.

Just remember to suck a load of fresh water through after your pumpage to minimise nasty niffs before you stow it.

Nic

Hi there Nic

Thanks for info can you advise me on what inverter you have fitted.

Chris

Now why should a pump out smell any worse than the contents of a cassette ?? I have never noticed much difference

Might the length of time the poo has been in the tank have something to do with it ?

Our cassette normally needs changing after an absolute maximum of 2 days, (one if the whole family are aboard).

People seem to be claiming holding tanks with several, (sometimes many), weeks capacity, like it's somehow a good thing.

I don't think it smells better as it matures.

If you want by far the worst side of pump-out try using the appalling launderette facilities at Braunston Marina.

Even leaving aside that the clothes were neither washed nor dried, they have all their pump-out gear in the corner of the same room as the launderette.

I've seldom smelt anything worse, (and I once worked emptying cesspits as a student summer job, so I'm quite hardened to it!).

Sorry but don't agree on that point you make a choice if you have a cassette you can use the Elsan and if you have a tank that requires pump out you use a pump out station or a marina. Same if you have a 70ft boat you pay a higher licence fee and cant use the complete system such as the Leeds and Liverpool, but when you buy the boat you know this.

Sorry but don't agree on that point you make a choice if you have a cassette you can use the Elsan and if you have a tank that requires pump out you use a pump out station or a marina, or a sanitary station designated by BW as suitable for self pump out :lol: .

I agree with Ernie if the facicility is provided by BW then use it. I don't understand the vengance against boaters with a holding tank doing a self pumpout. whether you have cassette that you empty every two or three days or a tank that you empty once a month it still amounts to the same amount of S**t, and that is what we pay for. If the elsan point is on a septic tank then this is a different circumstance as they do not like a bulk insurgance of effluant. personnally my boat which is still in the build stage is having a vacuflush cassette toilet that wil be able to discharge to a holding tank to be emtyed by a self pumpout kit or by emtying the cassette.

regards Spoons :lol:

This is what's involved in the self pumpout kit if you fit it to the boat itself-

pumpout.jpg

Basically it's just a diagram pump in the pump out line this one as also got a "Y" valve because it can pump over the side if permitted.

Edited by Gary Peacock

Our self pump-out was fitted in my wardrobe. One day it developed a leak! It now resides in our front locker until required then it is tied to the handrail for use.

A jar of garlic puree left open sorted out the smell.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there Nic

Thanks for info can you advise me on what inverter you have fitted.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry for taking so long to reply....electrical system is victron multiplus 2500 and 5x fairly worn 135ah domestics. If you want any more info/feedback - feel free to PM me.

nic

We have a 12v pump out pump supplied to us by Garry – very pleased with it, it works a treat. We also have a manual one that we keep in case the 12v one ever breaks. We bought the manual one first but found it slow going and hard work.

We can afford to pay to get pumped out at a marina (sometimes we have no option but to pay someone to do it for us if there are no self-pump out sanitary stations in the area) but given the option of someone doing the pump out for us for £15-£18 or spend 5 minutes doing it ourselves (yes, it really is that quick with a good pump) and buying 3 - 4 bottles of wine with the money saved – well, there is no competition.

I can not think of one occasion when we have held anyone up at a sanitary station as we are early risers and tend to pump out first thing in the morning (07:00 ish).

3-4 bottle of wine for £15!?!?!?! :lol::lol: Are you sure you're not thinking of pickling vinegar? I suspect at about £3 a bottle that's what it'd taste like (and have a similar effect on your stomach lining!). Go on treat yourself, buy a £9-£15 bottle instead. Your saving all that money on pump out and it's only gonna end up back in the pump out tank anyway! :lol:

I don't know of any self-pump out stations near us (Stratford, Hatton, Warwick, Leamington, Long Itchington, Stockton, Calcutt...) but if there was one, a 12v pump (if powerful enough) would be great. In fact I'd never heard of self-pump out stations till reading this thread.

3-4 bottle of wine for £15!?!?!?! :lol::lol: Are you sure you're not thinking of pickling vinegar? I suspect at about £3 a bottle that's what it'd taste like (and have a similar effect on your stomach lining!). Go on treat yourself, buy a £9-£15 bottle instead. Your saving all that money on pump out and it's only gonna end up back in the pump out tank anyway! :lol:

I don't know of any self-pump out stations near us (Stratford, Hatton, Warwick, Leamington, Long Itchington, Stockton, Calcutt...) but if there was one, a 12v pump (if powerful enough) would be great. In fact I'd never heard of self-pump out stations till reading this thread.

Mathematics. :lol:

Tesco/Sainsburrys/Morrisons finest Portuguese Rose, I think it is currently around £3.00 a bottle but you get a discount when you buy six or more. Lovely stuff. A bit like Matuse Rose (spelling?) but cheaper.

There is no such thing as an official self pumpout station they just use the normal elsan to squirt all there waste over the floor and walls.

There is no such thing as an official self pumpout station they just use the normal elsan to squirt all there waste over the floor and walls.

They do this as often as the emptier's of portaloos do! This is another canal myth.

Sue

• 1 month later...
Hi Chris,

Sorry for taking so long to reply....electrical system is victron multiplus 2500 and 5x fairly worn 135ah domestics. If you want any more info/feedback - feel free to PM me.

nic

Hi there Nic

Thats ok

We have the same inverter (excellent kit) with travel power 3.5kv, and 6x 110ah batteries, so it looks like another job for winter.

Thank you for your reply

I have a 240v pump out. It is a 240v 1.5 inch HGM1 trash pump from Robinson pumps - http://www.pump.co.uk/shop/SelfPrimingCent...dling/d27/sd204

but the price has gone up considerably since I got mine. 0.75kw and runs off Victron 3000w inverter. Connected to a standard pump out deck fitting and have not yet tried it to "assist" a conventional dock side pump out sucking out the contents of the tank.

• 3 weeks later...
Hopefully it will never work.

If you can't afford a pump out may I suggest you buy a cassette toilet.

The sooner these discusting things are banned the better (think about the tenth time I have said this on the forum lol)

We met John (Cotswoldman) at Fradley this morning. John kindly helped us down through a couple of the locks – nice to have met you John.

I offered to sell John a self pumpout kit but he wasn’t interested – no pleasing some people :lol::lol::lol:

Both the one at Braunston and the one at Cropredy say they are suitable for self pump out, if you do it correctly it doesn't squirt all over the walls any more than when you try to empty an Elsan, holding your nose with one hand and closing your eyes so you don't see whats coming out.

Simply both users if they do it right leave it clean and tidy for the next user but if they do it wrong they BOTH leave it in a disgusting state.

Brian