Broken genny

Smelly

Featured Posts

I hope I've not just learned to stop buying cheap chinese tat, but I can't afford a honda!

I've bought a cheap inverter generator, new, and it's broke. So has it's replacement.

The petrol I've put in was carried in a diesel can, the can's only been used once (I had to buy it when we ran out of diesel a couple of months ago) and was dry when the petrol went in.

Both gennys have stopped after about 10 mins running to warm up & 5 mins under load. When I pull the cord no lights come on and the supplier thought the first problem was elctrical, but I'm worried.

I'm going to put some clean fuel in it during the week but was wondering whether pearls of wisdon (other than "buy a honda"... I'd love to) might save me some messing about.

So far, I'm told the spark plugs a good colour, i.e chocolate brown, but it doesn't spark when I pull the cord, even if it's contacting the metal frame.

As an aside, I'm posting here as my saw table, planer etc won't work on the inverter so I'm bored and can't get on with my carpentry and hence avoiding washing up, I've already fixed the loo!

Ta

I hope I've not just learned to stop buying cheap chinese tat, but I can't afford a honda!

I've bought a cheap inverter generator, new, and it's broke. So has it's replacement.

The petrol I've put in was carried in a diesel can, the can's only been used once (I had to buy it when we ran out of diesel a couple of months ago) and was dry when the petrol went in.

Both gennys have stopped after about 10 mins running to warm up & 5 mins under load. When I pull the cord no lights come on and the supplier thought the first problem was elctrical, but I'm worried.

I'm going to put some clean fuel in it during the week but was wondering whether pearls of wisdon (other than "buy a honda"... I'd love to) might save me some messing about.

So far, I'm told the spark plugs a good colour, i.e chocolate brown, but it doesn't spark when I pull the cord, even if it's contacting the metal frame.

As an aside, I'm posting here as my saw table, planer etc won't work on the inverter so I'm bored and can't get on with my carpentry and hence avoiding washing up, I've already fixed the loo!

Ta

Make, model?

As you say you're not getting a spark is it possible that there's a switch somewhere that you have to close to shut down the genny? Is it open? I have been caught on frequent occasions on my Honda Deauville by the engine kill switch! :lol:

Mike, funnily enough the people who sold the genny had a tale of someone who'd taken one back that hadn't been switched on...

I'm a bit worried I might be in a similar position though.

I don't know enough about petrol engines!

Is it 4 stroke? If so is the oil level low? My 4 stroke yamaha cuts the spark if the oil is just a tiny bit low. it baffled me for ages once, i topped the oil up in desperation and it wnet first pull. Of course yours is a 2 stroke? :lol:

Mike, funnily enough the people who sold the genny had a tale of someone who'd taken one back that hadn't been switched on...

I'm a bit worried I might be in a similar position though.

I don't know enough about petrol engines!

There's also the fuel tap which has to be turned on. There's always a switch on these type inverters that has to be switched on to start, normally the switch used to shut the unit down. A small amount of diesel dregs mixed with petrol shouldn't make much difference. Overloading the unit would cause it to stall. Just some basics if it helps.

Edited by Julynian

Bear in mind it's run for a bit then stopped. Apart from priming it and pulling the choke everything it still switched on; breather, fuel cutoff and electric engine on/off switch.

Regarding oil, if not too much then just enough, they came with a little measuiring bottle and I've put the stated sump capacity (250ml) in. The second one, when it was in the bow, on a slant, showed a oil light but another 50ml stopped that. Too much oil didn't kill the last one as it had the same measure of oil in in.

I've just been told by someone else that my fuel concerns shouldn't matter, so it looks like back to the shop then... again.

I think I'll chuck another few quid at a kipper, at least they run... Sine wave isn't mission critical until the clockwork washing machine fails.

I may yet get my cupboard doors finished before we go away in August.

Bear in mind it's run for a bit then stopped. Apart from priming it and pulling the choke everything it still switched on; breather, fuel cutoff and electric engine on/off switch.

Regarding oil, if not too much then just enough, they came with a little measuiring bottle and I've put the stated sump capacity (250ml) in. The second one, when it was in the bow, on a slant, showed a oil light but another 50ml stopped that. Too much oil didn't kill the last one as it had the same measure of oil in in.

I've just been told by someone else that my fuel concerns shouldn't matter, so it looks like back to the shop then... again.

I think I'll chuck another few quid at a kipper, at least they run... Sine wave isn't mission critical until the clockwork washing machine fails.

I may yet get my cupboard doors finished before we go away in August.

Are you switching the choke off properly, choke is only needed to start the machine, once started turn it off immediately. Also Kipor do a sine wave inverter generator, they're in the Yellow casings and a bit dearer than than the standard Red cased ones. The genny you have should work fine being new, there has to be something obvious IMO If not it could be a bad batch with a common fault.

Wont be the possibility of diesel adulteration. If anything you managd to buy some dodgey petrol?..

Being new units there cant be much wrong with them. DId you run them completely dry when last used?. I don't know if its 2 stroke or 4 stroke unit. 2 stroke can be pain, as the oil additive can gum up the carb.

IF yOU arent getting a spark though, could be dodgey plug, more likely than dodgey device.

Are you switching the choke off properly, choke is only needed to start the machine, once started turn it off immediately. Also Kipor do a sine wave inverter generator, they're in the Yellow casings and a bit dearer than than the standard Red cased ones. The genny you have should work fine being new, there has to be something obvious IMO If not it could be a bad batch with a common fault.

I've got a Kipor with no spark, I believe there are two or three features which prevent a spark if they're not as they should be but I haven't got round to investigating properly yet. There's a bit of info on the web if you hunt for it, try looking under Kipor faults or some such & it might bring up something relevant to your problem.

Tim