Moorings and Camping

zoeta

Featured Posts

I want to take some friends on a boat trip but think we won't all be able to sleep on my boat so does anyone know of any nice places on the Grand Union Canal between Milton Keynes and London where it is both possible to moor a boat and for people to camp? Does not have to be an actual campsite with facilities. Could maybe be a pub which has camping too (that would be nice!) or just a friendly farmers field! It would only be for one night.

Would also be interested to know of any such places on the Rivers Lee or Stort.

I want to take some friends on a boat trip but think we won't all be able to sleep on my boat so does anyone know of any nice places on the Grand Union Canal between Milton Keynes and London where it is both possible to moor a boat and for people to camp? Does not have to be an actual campsite with facilities. Could maybe be a pub which has camping too (that would be nice!) or just a friendly farmers field! It would only be for one night.

Hi Zoeta, welcome to the forum.

This isn't going to help with your camping plan which sounds wonderful, but it is something that you should consider.

I think that our boat is rated to carry 10 people. This is based on the number of berths, which is now 10 but was originally 12 when we bought it. In the unlikely event of some kind of accident, I don't know what our insurance company would do if we had more than 10 people on board. Could I suggest that you check this for your boat?

Richard

Don't know exact details, but there is a campsite at Roydon Mill on the Stort.

My OH was most amused because we came past there on a cold grey rainy day, and there was a photo-shoot going on for camping or outdoor goods. Lots of models sitting around in bikinis, trying to look like it wasn't so freezing cold!

Hi,

This takes me back a a few years, (1978 to be exact) we did a similar run and found a good place to camp was at the top lock of Peter's 2 at Marsworth, where there is space (we used it again in 2005).

We tried a similar journey about 3 years ago, pubs are a no-no. but there is a small area between an access road and the canal almost opposite the Globe, Leighton Buzzard. The road serves a sewage farm and traffic started early.

There is a similar space opposite the Grove Pub at Leighton Buzzard (by the side pond) which we used about 3 years ago which was good, when I called this June the mooring was being run by an officious (official/unofficial) warden moored on the off side by the pub, who may object.

One question, how many people. how many tents and do you play radios etc - dependant on answers I may be able to help with a mooring along the Tring Summit. As for moorings between Cowroast and London, you may find something, but problems associated with urban areas may become more prevalent.

Best of luck, we generally pitched our tent (with interesting results) after we got back from the pub and in August 1978 it rained most days and nights.... We went from Marsworth to Wallingford 4 up in a 16ft Dolphin.

ATB

ALBI

There's a park at Greenford (between bridge 14 and 13 on the GU) in London where you can do that no bother......also above Sawbridgeworth after you go under the railway bridge, on the Stort, the non towpath side theres a small bit of marsh with no public access, it's completely cut off by the railway line. We usually moor there when we plan a noisy party, because theres no one to disturb around there. You'd have to pitch under the trees - the mrash is a proper marsh (i.e. boggy as anything). Expect to trample nettles down. Theres also a favourite spot outside Harlow on the Stort where boaters have parties and camp - it's between Latton lock and Harlow lock on the right hand side where the river bends sharply - could be tricky with a full length boat though, infact the whole of the Stort is tricky with a full length boat. The Lee, I'm not sure about, the Lee Valley park has a no camping policy and pretty much the whole of the Lee is in the Lee Valley Park - having said that, I've lost count of the amount of tents I've seen - even here in Tottenham! I imagine if you were discreet and left no rubbish, you'd be ok, but I didn't tell you that! There are park rangers with big dogs, though, (usually seen in pursuit of teenage motorcyclists on stolen scooters!).

Edited by Lady Muck

Thanks for your replies. Am not intending to take more than 10 people and wouldn't be having a massive party with loud music or anything like that! :lol:

Hi Zoeta,

that isn't what I meant. Our boat is registered to carry 10 people. How many people is your boat registered to carry and how many people are you intending to take? Will this invalidate your insurance?

Richard

The Lee, I'm not sure about, the Lee Valley park has a no camping policy and pretty much the whole of the Lee is in the Lee Valley Park

There is a proper campsite at Picketts Lock:

Picketts Lock Lane

Meridian Way

Edmonton

London

N9 0AR

Phone: 020 8803 6900 (general enquiries)

Fax: 020 8884 4975

email: leisurecentre@leevalleypark.org.uk

Web pages: www.leevalleypark.org.uk/

Outdoor sport facilities including:-

* 18-hole golf course and practice holes.

180 caravan and campsite spaces with washroom and laundry facilities and shop.

Opening Hours:

Monday-Friday 8.00am-9.00pm;

Saturday, Sunday 8.00am-9.00pm.

We'd like to do the same sort of thing as our boat is only 3 berth - must check the insurance...

Edited by Mary P