car body filler

Featured Posts

Most builders will fill small blemishes and and disguise a bit of distortion hear and there, but of course generally they will cover it with primer before you see it.

as you know, my widebeam is in the raw, and it is surprising how little filler there is. Mainly just a bit of fairing around joints and changes in direction, but on the main body of the panels - next to nothing.

Well done Liverpool !

If you don't believe me have a look at the pictures in the gallery.

Edited by chris polley

Now I aren't going to start naming other builders. But I have just looked at a fine example of merseyside broad beam sailaway. If you want filler there was masses and no visible welds they were all nicely smoothed over with filler. Call me suspicious but I would class that more to be a case of hiding rather then filling.

LP%20filler.jpg

Really nice and smooth.

LP%20wave.jpg

You could learn to surf on the waves!

Or maybe this was just a Monday morning special!

Could be just an over zealous owner trying to get it smooth like his Ferrari.

This boat was the way it left the shed, it was by far the worst example I have seen from that particular builder other similar boat have been very fair for the price paid.

If I had built this one who ever was responsible for quality control would have got a kicking.

All builders produce a boat that causes problems every now and again but not many would dream of putting it on the open market before making every effort to sort it.

I suppose the question really comes down to should you really expect a good finish or just a good structural build? The boat was nice and straight.

Gary

I don't recognise the handrail ? detail or the rear/front cabin end ? detail.

LP.jpg

looks nothing like my merseyside sailaway

Does yours look like this? If not there might be more to this then I was told there are a few new companies springing up near the Mersey using ex employees of a well known company.

:D

Edited by Gary Peacock

Does yours look like this? If not there might be more to this then I was told there are a few new companies springing up near the Mersey using ex employees of a well known company.

:D

definitely LB aft deck and fore deck details.

handrail is different, it may be a customer option.

Are those gas lockers at the rear? Didnt see that option on the LB option list.

The metal cover over the control panel looks the same though, but the hatch cover is different to mine.

Perhaps this is a copy or LB are just changing there style every now and again.

The curve on the roof looks quite severe as well - mine is more softly curved.

Edited by stuart

I went back to get some more pics but it had gone the folk at the yard had been told it was LP boat by the owners. (Could this have ment built in Liverpool?) It had only been on the water a couple of days.

So it looks like it's going to remain a mystery the stern is a carbon copy of a New Boat co Boston it's heading towards Wakefield if anyone spots it.

Gary

Edited by Gary Peacock

NO I KNOW ITS ONLY A BOAT BUT THERES A LOT OF FILLER

Miller.

Have you bought / taken delivery of the boat in question, why don't you tell us a bit more, your initial comment told us nothing at all. It is hardly surprising that I and perhaps others responded in a way that you consider to be inappropriate.

Edited by John Orentas

Are those gas lockers at the rear?  Didnt see that option on the LB option list. 

The metal cover over the control panel looks the same though, but the hatch cover is different to mine.

Perhaps this is a copy or LB are just changing there style every now and again.

The curve on the roof looks quite severe as well - mine is more softly curved.

yours is narrow, yes?

there is much more curve on a widebeam roof (and before anyone asks, I can walk my 14stone over the roof and no distortion) and there are kit lockers in the corners of the aft deck. I haven't heard them being described as gas lockers, but they may comply.

yours is narrow, yes?

there is much more curve on a widebeam roof (and before anyone asks, I can walk my 14stone over the roof and no distortion) and there are kit lockers in the corners of the aft deck.  I haven't heard them being described as gas lockers, but they may comply.

There are two options with roofs lots of curve with 4mm plate to give them strength or to build them flatter out of 5mm plate with lots of roof bearers to spread the load, we opt for the later because we build our boats to load bearing deck standards rather than just being roofs.

Richard hit the nail on the head there are lots of builders out there, they all build to suit different budgets. Contrary to popular belief an expensive boat does not equal lots more profit for the builder it just means more expense in producing a boat of that quality.

I keep saying it but before even considering reaching for your cheque book go out and look at lots of builders draw up a short list and go look again. If somebody offers you something that's two good to be true then pound to a penny it will be!

Gary