What type of boat to buy?

Nige G

Featured Posts

With about £30k to spend would I be able to get something that's not a narrowboat that I could live on?

Widebeam? Plastic cruiser type thing? other?

You could get a Yorkshire keel, for a couple of grand and spend the rest doing it up.

Is that like an old fishing boat?

The Humber, or Yorkshire keel is a barge peculiar to the Yorkshire canals an rivers.

"The keel is undoubtedly the finest inland navigation boat we have in this country. Inland navigation, except in the Fen counties, is not nearly so developed in England as it is on the great inland waterways of the Continent, and naturally so. But while making due allowance for the smaller size of our rivers and canals, the ordinary canal-boat is a sorry piece of naval architecture at the best, and the keel is a refreshing change." To quote H.Warington-Smythe

There's a superb 34ft Nelson on apalling duck for £27k. Twin perkins 6 turbos. Nice solid boats with a bit of a presence well built a bit costly to run the engines though what with the increasing cost of deezle.

You should have left that last bit out Carl and you could have bought 3 with the money.

:D

To be honest I wouldn't sell it for 30k (maybe 35...).

There are so few Stromness class lifeboats about (8 rumoured survivors, out of 13) that I'd have to settle for a Watson. A worthy boat but shorter, and a bit common :D