Freesat TV

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

To repeat earlier post

ALL tuners which are DVB S standard (includes all but the very very earlist Maplins) WILL receive Freesat (all channels but the HD ones)

They are all on the UK standard Astra satellite, are unencrypted, and NO special equipmet is required to receive anything except the HD channels.

SOME Maplins kits WILL require a firmware update (from the website) Most however will not.

like I said if I can get the whole range here in Southern Spain anyone in the UK should have it booming in.

BTW the kits listed on the Freesat site WILL all receive all the fta channels from Astra and any other sat you can pick up.

give it a swing and try them on Hotbird or Eurosat (which latter btw also carries Freesat)

To repeat earlier post

ALL tuners which are DVB S standard (includes all but the very very earlist Maplins) WILL receive Freesat (all channels but the HD ones)

They are all on the UK standard Astra satellite, are unencrypted, and NO special equipmet is required to receive anything except the HD channels.

<snip>

But it's always good to have the theory proven! :wub:

Keeping Up

That is a bit of a vexed question at this time. You CAN get all the current fta channels so should be able to get Freesat, but I think you may have to add/change some transponder settings........I don't have a sky box to experiment with.

The problem seems to be that Sky have "Freesat from Sky" (a package of their own) and, as always, Sky have their own way of doing things.

So the answer from this end is.........I don't know

Sorry

As an aside, it is not any good getting an HD signal if the TV is not HD ready.

There are also recommended minimum and maximum distances to view the screen, depending on size.

It varies from 3 to 8 feet minimum to 7 to 16 feet maximum.

Another variation is the DPI (dots per inch)

I can remember when TV was simple, black & white and five minutes to warm-up.

Tv's had lines not dots (great excitement when it went from 405 to 625 and BBC2 started) :wub:

Funnily enough when the Beeb went from 405 B/W to 625 colour the threw up a plaque outside broadcasting house saying 'The worlds fist high definition pictures were broadcast from here on what/ever/date!

On black-and-white TVs the phosphor was continuous, so there were no dots and the 405 or 625 lines could be positioned anywhere. But then came colour TV, which introduced the dots - effectively pixels - that were illumintaed by shining the electron beams through a "Shadow mask" that was just a solid sheet with holes in it. I've often wondered how many holes and dots there actually were, and how that compares with todays pixel standards.

At the time I worked in a small & struggling TV shop that repaired TV tubes by fitting replacement electron guns in them. Recognising that colour TV tubes couldn't be repaired in the same way, the shop owner thought laterally: he had a machine which heated things up and then pumped the air out, so instead of using it on TV tubes he used it to vacuum-form plastic armchairs with small coin-in-the-slot meters and a TV. He sold them to places where people needed to sit and kill time (like airports), made his fortune with 2 yers and retired happily.

I remember those at Manchester airport, they were great..Bet they'd be worth a fortune now!

We've had our maplin Kit for a month or so now and so far its been excellent. Its connected to the tv in the bedroom and meant i could enjoy the snooker last week and not distrupt Swmbo's American Trash viewing on the sky set up in the saloon.

It does mean we now have 2 sat dish's on the old girl (boat not swmbo) however i connected the sky box upto the Maplin dish today and found it worked perfectly so i now need to find a double connector so that we can dump the proper sky dish in the shed.

The freesat stuff is more than ample ive found, with a couple of movie channels thrown in. Not tried to lock onto the european Sats yet.

Hi

With regard to watch two pictures from one dish I think you will need an LNB ( low noise block) with two or more outputs to be able to watch two diferent chanels at once.

Twin LNB.

AS allways I stand to be corected.

Thanks

ADE

Well, as I'm in the TV and Radio No-Go-Zone that is Llagollen Wharf I've had to set-up my Maplin Comag SL65/12 ... and it's still convinced that Channel Four is a scrambled channel :D

Even completely defaulted it back to factory settings and re-loaded the channels. Nope. Still doesn't like Channel Four.

Ho Hum.

E4 and More 4 are OK, though.

Well, as I'm in the TV and Radio No-Go-Zone that is Llagollen Wharf I've had to set-up my Maplin Comag SL65/12 ... and it's still convinced that Channel Four is a scrambled channel :D

Even completely defaulted it back to factory settings and re-loaded the channels. Nope. Still doesn't like Channel Four.

Ho Hum.

E4 and More 4 are OK, though.

I agree chris

No trace of C4 this week even with deleting all channels and doing a new search, Just the E4 and More4 and their +1 channels. Stll, enough there to be going on with and as long as swmbo can watch holioaks omnibus she appears to be happy

Channel 4 is probably not named as such, well, not on my system. It's transmitting on 10728 (or 120729)V 5/6 22000. Try adding it? Before you do, look for channel named 8350 - That's CH4.

Jas

Will try and give that a go over the next few days....I have noticed that depending on the angle of the dish and its view of the sky some channels are readable and others not,....then with a little alteratiion those same channels come good and the previous ones suffer.......compared to my Sky box which is a lot less sensitive and will cope with some degree of boat movement with all channels

I can remember when TV was simple, black & white and five minutes to warm-up.

Tv's had lines not dots (great excitement when it went from 405 to 625 and BBC2 started)

I'm still using black & white :D , or should I say monochrome, rarely watch tv but my PC monitor is colour B) so you could say I'm catching up :D

Tiger.

Channel 4 is probably not named as such, well, not on my system. It's transmitting on 10728 (or 120729)V 5/6 22000. Try adding it? Before you do, look for channel named 8350 - That's CH4.

Jas

Ta! I shall give that a go later today and let you know the results.

I am thinking of purchasing one of Maplin's portable satelite kits. My NB only has 12v. I only need to be able to pick up the main channels. eg BBC ITV etc

I am about to buy a 15 inch TV.

Which Sat. kit should I buy?

Terry

I am thinking of purchasing one of Maplin's portable satelite kits. My NB only has 12v. I only need to be able to pick up the main channels. eg BBC ITV etc

I am about to buy a 15 inch TV.

Which Sat. kit should I buy?

Terry

The Maplin Suitcase Kits are 12V, so not worries there. Clicky

I read this with interest. I cleared off all the channels and downloaded from scratch, off Astra, Astra 1A, Astra 2A, and Astra 3A. Net result: the Channel 4 and 4 + 1 is still the encrypted version, and I have lost ITV 2 and 4 and also Film Four. No amount of piddling about has succeeded in getting them back again. My digibox came from Maplins - a Fortec Star Lifetime II to be exact. I went through the myriad number of channels with no proper ID but there's nothing there. Any ideas?

not familiar with astra sats youve mentioned ?? you should be tuning in to astra 28 east and maybe your sat dish has moved a bit

I don't understand the Astra distinctions either, but they are there, on the one satellite. I could play around with the dish a bit, but it seems odd to me that I get all the other channels without any problem, and did get Film 4, ITV 2 & 4 as well.