12v Down Lights

Featured Posts

Hello,

I am about to install 12v down lights on my narrow boat and have 50mm available behind the paneling in the roof. What are the best options and where is best to buy. I am leaning towards 10w g4 type bulb. As it appears to be the cheapest to replace and a good light to power compromise. I am not too fond of the light off led's. Where is the best to buy on line.

Many Thanks

Si

G4 Halogen 12v

12v low voltage capsule lamp - suitable for desklamps or displays. The G4 fitting measures 4mm between the pins.

Seem like a decent option if you don't like Led's. Not sure what type of fitting available for ceilings though. You can get Led Warm White which is similar to the yellow tint you get from halogens, expensive though even from China. I ordered 25 from China that brought the cost down to £7.00 each. The 50mm spacing will accept MR16 & Mr11 The g4 you mention does seem a small bulb, have you seen one working and the light output it gives. Could be a good option for additional lighting if there's a decent fitting available.

Ok I am warming to LED'S as they offer a warm light version. However I am struggling to find a complete housing with less than 50mm rear fitting clearance. I have seen g4 type housings which have about 40mm and then the capsule bulb can be changed for a g4 LED, but this is going round the houses. Where did you get your fitting from and can anyone suggest a supplier.

Regards

Si

Ok I am warming to LED'S as they offer a warm light version. However I am struggling to find a complete housing with less than 50mm rear fitting clearance. I have seen g4 type housings which have about 40mm and then the capsule bulb can be changed for a g4 LED, but this is going round the houses. Where did you get your fitting from and can anyone suggest a supplier.

Regards

Si

We bought standard Brass MR16 fittings Gold Brass look alike like these but gold. Item number: 370027790365

The clearance is tight but they should fit. Be careful not to put a ceiling light beneath any roof ribbing. We used 15mm thick pine T&G, with the downlighters we used there was plenty of clearance for them in the remaining 50mm gap. If using 6mm ply on the roof, then it will be a bit tighter but should fit. Remember the bulb face on these type fittings sit about flush with the ceiling. As I recall MR 16 bulb is around 45mm from bulb face to end of connector pins. If you have one to hand measure it.

Hello,

I am about to install 12v down lights on my narrow boat and have 50mm available behind the paneling in the roof. What are the best options and where is best to buy. I am leaning towards 10w g4 type bulb. As it appears to be the cheapest to replace and a good light to power compromise. I am not too fond of the light off led's. Where is the best to buy on line.

Hi,

Have a look at cabinet lights, but make sure they're flush mountable. Mine are just 25mm deep.

If flush mountable they can be separated into 2 parts, and usually come with a silicone gasket for flush mounting.

Ikea or Ebay or an electrical wholesalers should do them, sometimes you can get them without the mains transformer.

Edit:

These sort of things:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=65361

With downlights it's worth putting them up temporarily to see how things look, before taking a holesaw to the ceiling!

Also LEDs are getting better over time, so it'd be worth using MR16s if they'll fit.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

These are the ones we got, although they were available in a Gold finish, can't find Gold now though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6X-AURORA-DLL101-LOW...1742.m153.l1262

Ignore the 105mm recess requirement, this is for the terminal block which is used in conjunction with transformers, you don't need the terminal block for ditrect 12 volt supply. Just disconnect the bulb connector wire and discard the rest.

This diagram shows the the fixing clips attached ready to clip into recess.

http://www.aurora.eu.com/ProductPages/Lamp...eet.aspx?g=2944

Cheaper here though for 10 or more.

http://www.thelightbulbshop.co.uk/Shop/Lig...nSpotlight.aspx

Edited by Julynian

I've got two different types of LED downlighting on board:

4 half-watt surface mount lights from Ikea in my cockpit. They've each got 9 little LEDs in a housing that looks like those reflective discs you put in the wheels on your bike. I just cut the transformer and connected to my 12V supply.

4 more flush-mount lights under the gunwale in the saloon. These came from Maplin and consume just under a watt each. I threw the supplied transformer away and hooked them up to a lashed-in 3-way fag lighter socket hanging out of a light fitting. :o

Both sets of lights do the job perfectly adequately for a minimal power consumption. I can read by the cockpit lights, for example.

Sadly, neither of them seem to be available on Maplin's or Ikea's sites: I've just been for a look.

However, I did find these which seem a bit more on-topic.

HTH

Alistair

I've got two different types of LED downlighting on board:

4 half-watt surface mount lights from Ikea in my cockpit. They've each got 9 little LEDs in a housing that looks like those reflective discs you put in the wheels on your bike. I just cut the transformer and connected to my 12V supply.

4 more flush-mount lights under the gunwale in the saloon. These came from Maplin and consume just under a watt each. I threw the supplied transformer away and hooked them up to a lashed-in 3-way fag lighter socket hanging out of a light fitting. :o

Both sets of lights do the job perfectly adequately for a minimal power consumption. I can read by the cockpit lights, for example.

Sadly, neither of them seem to be available on Maplin's or Ikea's sites: I've just been for a look.

However, I did find these which seem a bit more on-topic.

HTH

Alistair

Some good options on that site, but pricy or what :lol:

You don't necessarily need to buy fittings & led bulbs with a transformer, if you hunt around you can find the fittings separate especially from whiolsalers. Some lighting ststems in housed use a bigger transformer so service several single 12 volt lights, so most the time the fitting can be bought separately.

I bought a box of 100 Gold bevelled edge for £36.00 3 years ago. I should still have loads left, although I did sell a lot on flea ay and got my original purchase price back. I'll hunt them out if anyone's interested. MR16 coloured Gold Bevel edge flush fit with spring clip and bulb connector.

Edited by Julynian

• 5 months later...

Down-lighters as the name implies are not ideal for area lighting, the best outputs and the greatest efficiency are fluorescent fittings, I would recommend the PL types, two or three 18 watt types will light your entire boat enough for reading..

Take a good luck at the quality, some are very poor with primitive electronics, others are excellent.

'D' lamp types can be very good too, I had one in my bathroom for more than 10 years.

If you pick anything from Aquafax, ECS, Marine Mart or Cantalupi then register here-

http://s130174336.oneandoneshop.co.uk/adde...egisterrequest/

You can then get 10% off the RRP for their products if you order them from http://www.canalboatbits.co.uk

If you can't find an item on the site just give them a bell with the product number or description because they will have it or get it for you.

The offer is not just on lighting but nearly every product so it is well worth registering if you are buying a big pricey item.

• 5 months later...
Hello,

Many Thanks

Si

You may visit this website to find appropriate products : www.HERO-LEDStore.com .

Edited by HERO-LEDStore.com

Um that is great but do you ship to the UK and how much does it cost.

Tim

I think I am missing something here -

The 30 watts or so consumption by this LED http://www.hero-ledstore.com/super-bright-...atts-p-13.html( 24 volts 1.4 amps) (itself surprisingly high to me) produces 1000 lumens and costs $49 + shipping / duty

A 20 watt CFL produces some 1200 lumens and costs ? £1 ? and available locally

The Ultraleds offerings (U16WW5 ) consumes 5 watts to give 430 lumens and costs £35 odd.

Apart from the size and the "quality of light", even the UltraLEDS offering is barely better than the CFL and even so, MUCH more expensive.

You can spray a CFL with a light yellow for a warmer light and get 1200 lumens for 20 watts and a quid....

I must be missing something ??

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Standard MR16 LED bulbs would suffice for downlighters, you can get 38led warmlight bulbs from e-bay for around a fiver each, these already have a yellowish tint and give a very similar light to halogens, we have 24 on our wide beam.

Edited to add they're about 3 watts i believe.

Edited by Julynian

Don't know what other people think but I'd be a bit wary of fitting an MR16 fitting if there was only 50mm clearance. There's a chance of someone putting a conventional bulb in somewhere down the line (slim chance I know...)

Rick

I recently fitted some downlighters from B&Q, sold in packs of 10 they require just 1.5in of space behind them.

They take G4 capsules (included) and come with a 240v > 12v PSU which you can throw away.

Again, not listed on their website, name is 'Ice' or something like that. They have chrome bezels with small glass dome diffusers.

I have 40-odd light fittings on the barge - all of which are LED. A combo of MR16 and G4 type lamps (bulbs). A few things to bear in mind:

A lot of LED lamps such as those sold for domestic downlighters are not suitable for fitting on a boat. They can be rated at 12 volts but your system may have higher voltages at times (when charging etc) so it's not unusual for LED lamps to fail unless you have a regulated supply. The better quality lamps have a voltage regulator built in so will handle it.

There are various types of LED lamps. Some have a cluster of small 3 or 5mm LED's, some with SMD LED's (look like a little yellow square) and some of the MR16/MR11 type use 3 x Cree high-power LED's.

The SMD type give superior performance to the 3/5mm ones and the Cree type (better again) are available with 3-7Watt outputs which give excellent light. LED's also come in a range of 'angles'. Some are pretty directional with a beam angle of 45' - suitable for a spot or reading light whilst others are available with angles of 120' - suitable for general downlights.

They're all available in 'cool white' or 'warm white'. The warm white are very similar to the less severe colour you get from halogens and the cool white lights are better suited to areas you want 'crisper' illumination.

I have 120' Cree 3Watt Warm White MR16's in the center of the roof and 90' SMD G4 1.8Watt warm white along each side of the roof (it's a wide boat!). I have cool white light over the galley and in the bathroom. All the lamps have a built in voltage regulator. I spent a long time finding the right source and have been delighted with the quality. As a distributor, I managed to get a good deal on them although the volume I buy is more than the requirement for a single boat!

Having seen the damage/scorch marks and shrunken foam insulation caused by the heat halogens give off, I would never use them but LED's still need some breathing space. Contrary to popular belief, LED lamps or rather the voltage regulator fitted, do give off a bit of heat (that's why the MR16's usually have an aluminium outer heat-sink) but nothing like the heat from halogens. If you're going to use the MR16 type, allow a minimum of 60mm from the bottom of the bulb to the insulation and 10mm clearance around it. For that reason, most will probably be limited to the G4 type which sit inside the ususal capsule-type fitting.

A good quality, voltage regulated 1.8Watt G4 SMD lamp will cost about £7.50 and use around 150mA. A good quality, voltage regulated 3Watt Cree MR16 lamp will cost around £12.00 and use about 400mA.

Forget obtaining fittings from chandlers. They tend to be double the price of other suppliers. I got a load of fittings from www.toolstation.com. They're all cast rather than cheap pressed metal. I had enough roof space to get away with IP65 waterproof MR16 fittings for the bathroom (£3.58 each) and for the other MR16 type (£3.42 each). The G4 type were under £3.00 each but I think they've stopped selling them now and list some at £5.22 each.

Colin

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Many Thanks

Si

Hello,

I've just spent a lot of time trying to source good LED lights. I've found good and bad. Once I found some I was happy with I fitted a couple and lived with them over winter. Then a couple of months ago I fitted SMD's (surface mounted diodes, the new generation of LED's and brighter) throughout. If you are moored on the L&L come and have a look. There will be a display of the lights at Penine Cruisers over the Skipton Festival at the begining of next month.

Hello,

Many Thanks

Si

Hello,

I've just spent a lot of time trying to source good LED lights. I've found good and bad. Once I found some I was happy with I fitted a couple and lived with them over winter. Then a couple of months ago I fitted SMD's (surface mounted diodes, the new generation of LED's and brighter) throughout. If you are moored on the L&L come and have a look. There will be a display of the lights at Penine Cruisers over the Skipton Festival at the begining of next month.