fuel pump nackered

gaggle

Featured Posts

in february last year my fuel pump packed in and canal river rescue put a new one on at a charge of £40/60 , cant remember exactly.

after the engine packed up again last saturday i looked around and seen that pump had come off the mounting and it was resting on the gear box , a wire had come loose from its electric supply and when it was pushed back together the pump began to work it seems but after 1 mile moveing the pump packed in altogether and once again canal and river had to replace it with another pump.

the engine from new has 1600 hours on the clock , is it normal for two fuel pump changes to be needed in such a time frame of usage.

should a pump supplied last longer than twelve months.

in february last year my fuel pump packed in and canal river rescue put a new one on at a charge of £40/60 , cant remember exactly.

after the engine packed up again last saturday i looked around and seen that pump had come off the mounting and it was resting on the gear box , a wire had come loose from its electric supply and when it was pushed back together the pump began to work it seems but after 1 mile moveing the pump packed in altogether and once again canal and river had to replace it with another pump.

the engine from new has 1600 hours on the clock , is it normal for two fuel pump changes to be needed in such a time frame of usage.

What engine? Mitsubishi?

are they a standard item or are they different for engine types/sizes.

the fella from canal and river last year said the one he was putting on would last for years so i never got me a spare one.

The only fuel pump ive ever had to replace was on a VW Scirocco......sorry, not much help but so far touch wood, in 30 yrs ive never had to replace a fuel pump on a marine engine.....plenty of other items but never a fuel pump......ooopppsss sorry.....also forgot i replace the pump on a 1962 Mini Van once

We had one failed shortly after we bought the boat in 2005 which we obviously replaced but then had that one go last October about 2 years later...

We're on our 3rd at the moment so lets see how long this one lasts!!

My take was that a part that spends its life soaked in diesel (which i will learn to spell first time one day) like a fuel pump would have an almost indefinite lifespan. I suppose that mountings and wiring isn't really covered by that.

Suspicious minded Pink ponders... did they put it in right?

Unsuspicious Pink says, well if something's going to go wrong then it will probably happen early in its life.

The type of fuel pump on the barrus range is very common for agricultural vehicles ie dumper trucks etc

I woud move the pump which is mounted on the engine since i believe the vibration kills these pumps

Yes vibration does kill them dead. \\\\just a thought, anyone dismantled a failed pump? curious as to what is likely to have failed. Favourite would be a foreign body somewhere (had a pump go on a massey combine, turned out to be swarf had got in somehow, and caused the pump to jam and burn out. But like other posters have had very little problem with pumps in 40 years( Except for su pumps in cars that is anyone from jag owners club will cnfirm they where a b****r).