What to use round our new stove?

Liam

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We are soon going to be getting a Boatman Stove fitted in the back cabin of our boat. It's going to be fitted into the normal "traditional" place, ie below the ticket box, next to the coal box. The lower half, below the gunnels has been supaluxed and then tiled over but we have been advised by the person who makes, and in our case is also fitting the fire, to proof above the gunnels. He's said that we can get away with where the soap hole usually goes but the actual cabin side and the bulkhead need protecting too.

Now, supalux isn't exactly the best looking board but the stuff we have used is covered by tiles, but above the gunnel we don't really want to tile it, and so are looking for some decent looking, heat/fireproof boarding that we can put up.

Any suggestions, please?

Hi all,We are soon going to be getting a Boatman Stove fitted in the back cabin of our boat. It's going to be fitted into the normal "traditional" place, ie below the ticket box, next to the coal box. The lower half, below the gunnels has been supaluxed and then tiled over but we have been advised by the person who makes, and in our case is also fitting the fire, to proof above the gunnels. He's said that we can get away with where the soap hole usually goes but the actual cabin side and the bulkhead need protecting too.Now, supalux isn't exactly the best looking board but the stuff we have used is covered by tiles, but above the gunnel we don't really want to tile it, and so are looking for some decent looking, heat/fireproof boarding that we can put up.Any suggestions, please?
The stuff I used was called Masterboard. It's also not very nice to look at but I think it can be painted with some sort of heat resistant paint - perhaps radiator paint? Edited by blackrose

Thanks Blackrose.

I forgot to mention that the woodwork above the gunnels, around the area where the stove is going is recessed. I really would like it if we could keep this somehow, but at the moment it looks as though boarding will have to be put across the top giving it a plasterboardy effect.

I'm actually wondering whether to bother at all. It is only a small stove and the area is bigger than that on traditional boats. I was using Google to see some examples of that area on pictures and came across Hadar's blog. They have an Epping (I think) which looks very tight in the space where it is, but saying that, its a professionally built boat so it must be okay? I will get some pictures this weekend.

Thanks Blackrose.

I forgot to mention that the woodwork above the gunnels, around the area where the stove is going is recessed. I really would like it if we could keep this somehow, but at the moment it looks as though boarding will have to be put across the top giving it a plasterboardy effect.

Why not tile over the aqualux board or go for hammered copper effect aluminium sheet over it? That's what a lot of people do. If you tile you can use a bit of heat resistant silicone on the back of each tile and then grout with a flexible grout, but before you tile don't forget to prime the board with PVA or some tiling primer for porus surfaces.

I used the copper effect sheet but I'm not that happy with it. It's ok for small areas but not for large areas because when you screw it on it's difficult to keep it perfectly flat and when the light shines on it from certain angles it looks a bit crapola. You can see a buckle above the scuttles on the left of the stove, but actually it's like that all over. I might take it off and tile over eventually.

DSC00474.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Why not use brushed stainless steel on top of the supalux board. A good fabricator can laser cut it to any shape given a template or drawing. Or if you really want to be different try using corten steel - this is a treated steel which corrodes naturally to wonderful tectures and colours!!