De winterising narrowboat

Shamu1

Featured Posts

:o we are close to purchasing our boat the engine and boat have been winterised, can someone explain how to de winterise please :D
Take its hat and coat off but leave the scarf and gloves on a bit longer

Or do wot yoda says :angry:

Edited by Maverick

:angry: we are close to purchasing our boat the engine and boat have been winterised, can someone explain how to de winterise please :o

On most boats the winterising of the engine is usually just making sure it has anti freeze in so there should not be a problem. The boat will have its water turned off and drained so the main job will be to turn this back on usually a stop tap near the tank and then fill up with fresh water and bleed through. Not sure what heating you have but that may need checking

On most boats the winterising of the engine is usually just making sure it has anti freeze in so there should not be a problem. The boat will have its water turned off and drained so the main job will be to turn this back on usually a stop tap near the tank and then fill up with fresh water and bleed through. Not sure what heating you have but that may need checking

we have radiators

Put fresh fuel in, put fresh coolant in, put fresh water in, charge the batteries and go!

I was always told to keep the fuel tank full over winter to prevent condensation within the tank. You dont throw yours away in spring do you :angry: . Serious question, who fills the tank for overwintering and who does not - and why? The boat we have just bought was not winterised except for the water tank being almost empty. So far no leaks.

P

I was always told to keep the fuel tank full over winter to prevent condensation within the tank. You dont throw yours away in spring do you :angry: . Serious question, who fills the tank for overwintering and who does not - and why? The boat we have just bought was not winterised except for the water tank being almost empty. So far no leaks.

P

and some say put in some sort of fuel stabiliser... I am still reviewing / researching the spec for a new build and it has been suggested that to split the fuel tank into two halves, and fill up twice as often would keep a fresher half to work with.. but I haven't fallen down one way or the other yet

Nick

I think its fairly common for radiators to have antifreeze in them, certainly ours always have.

- If the radiators are full then there is no need to drain and refill them. Ditto the fuel, unless there somthing known wrong with it.

- As said, all that should really be needed is to recommision the domestic water system. Just a case of turning on the pump running the air out and your set. Unless the drain plug has been left out of the paloma/alde if oyu have one. In which case it will need replacing first.

Daniel

Serious question, who fills the tank for overwintering and who does not - and why?

I always keep mine full, it may be right or wrong about condensation but it seems to make sense and it certainly won't make it any worse! Also, when I look at the price of diesel in the springtime and compare it with what I paid in the autumn, I usually reckon to have made a worthwhile profit by investing in 250 litres of diesel!

I always keep mine full, it may be right or wrong about condensation but it seems to make sense and it certainly won't make it any worse! Also, when I look at the price of diesel in the springtime and compare it with what I paid in the autumn, I usually reckon to have made a worthwhile profit by investing in 250 litres of diesel!

Agreed Allan and judging by the amount of water condensed in my supposedly empty water tank over the last few weeks its worrying if the same amount is in the diesel!

I use Fuel Set as well and it is amazing the difference it has made.

No trouble (touch wood!) with starting the engine after a long lay-up, approx. 4 months. No trouble with the Eberspacher flashing up, after the engine has been running for 20 - 30 minutes.

I leave the fuel tank as full as possible to cut down on condensation and drain the water tank.

De-winterising for me is:

1. Filling the water tank.

2. Oil and filter change to engineand gearbox.

3. Start engine, untie the boat then go and enjoy the canals.

Colin

p.s. Forgot most important item: get beer in the fridge!

Edited by colinjw

I use Fuel Set as well and it is amazing the difference it has made.

No trouble (touch wood!) with starting the engine after a long lay-up, approx. 4 months. No trouble with the Eberspacher flashing up, after the engine has been running for 20 - 30 minutes.

I leave the fuel tank as full as possible to cut down on condensation and drain the water tank.

De-winterising for me is:

1. Filling the water tank.

2. Oil and filter change to engineand gearbox.

3. Start engine, untie the boat then go and enjoy the canals.

Colin

p.s. Forgot most important item: get beer in the fridge!

Should beer in the fridge be No 1 :wacko:B)