Pre- mix thermostatic valve for washing machine

Bojangles

Featured Posts

I've just bought one off Ebay. The seller has 100% feedback so should be ok.

At £16 inc p&p it seems a very good price if you want a pre-mix valve.

SEE HERE

hi There

That looks the dogs knobblies

It now feasable to to fit a washing machine without a generator - well done that man.

Now I only have to find room to fit it! Any suggestions - keep it clean

Alex

If you are using this for a washing machine, as I have done for a year or so, remember to fit a gate valve in the hot side so that you can turn the hot off during the rinse cycle as washing machines usually use only cold water for rinses.

Julian

I've got a fairly similar mixer, made by Caleffi, and I find a problem when the water has been heated by the engine/calorifier to 80 degrees C or so. The valve is operating near to its upper temperature limit so that instead of allowing more cold water through, it progressively shuts down the hot until I can only get a trickle of water out of it.

If instead of the calorifier, the water has been merely heated by my boiler, the mixer werks perfectly.

Is this common? And would I get better results if I changed it to one of these Honeywell ones?

Allan, your allowing the water to be heated up too much and that will fur up your system. I expect that the valve is doing its best and any other valve will do the same. On a domestic system, you will find that the very hot water is pre-mixed anyway, to use less and is then mixed again to get the right hot temperature.

I've got a fairly similar mixer, made by Caleffi, and I find a problem when the water has been heated by the engine/calorifier to 80 degrees C or so. The valve is operating near to its upper temperature limit so that instead of allowing more cold water through, it progressively shuts down the hot until I can only get a trickle of water out of it.

If instead of the calorifier, the water has been merely heated by my boiler, the mixer werks perfectly.

Is this common? And would I get better results if I changed it to one of these Honeywell ones?

I have a thermostatic mixing valve on the bathroom taps and find that it works equally well regardless of whether the Webasto or the engine heats the water. I can't recall the make though.

Chris

I guess a thermostat fitted to the side of the calorifier operating a (powered) valve to stop the flow from the engine.

There then may be a problem with engine temperature control if the swim tanks are not adequate.

Apart from running the engine at a lower temperature how do I not allow it to do that?

No you don't want to run at a lower temperature, that's not a good idea. I think that some of the coolant needs to by-pass the calorifier and go to the skin tanks. This can be done using a thermostat or a manual by-pass, or ganged switches. Another way is to increase the size of the heat exchanger, calorifier, therefore the engine has to heat more. You could of course dump the extra heat into the radiators, which, I know, is not much good in summer but does solve the problem.

Apart from running the engine at a lower temperature how do I not allow it to do that?

Hi Alan

You could use a 3 port tap stat to control the temp from the engine to the calorifier. These are thermal / mechanical valves. When the preset temp is reached it bypasses the calorifier coil straight back into the return.

These are used on stoves heating circuit to control the water temp in the calorifier,as the output from the stove is usually uncontrollable.

Big Col

Edited by Big COL

Hi Alan

You could use a 3 port tap stat to control the temp from the engine to the calorifier. These are thermal / mechanical valves. When the preset temp is reached it bypasses the calorifier coil straight back into the return.

Big Col

Jabsco do both a two way (shutoff) here http://www.cleghorn.co.uk/item.asp?ls=&amp...A74&id=2735

or a 3 way (diverter) here http://www.cleghorn.co.uk/item.asp?ls=&amp...A74&id=2745

mind you they are not cheap!