Mooring Residential York Area

larkshall

Featured Posts

Have a chat with people moored on the other side of the river (Bishopthorpe), as well. Places sometimes come up there.

There's also sometimes moorings at Linton-on-ouse.

You do know how much the Ouse tends to flood ?

oh yes i cross the ouse several times a day either in york, or linton, or selby (delivery driver out and abut from midnightish)

Caspar, NAburn is an absolute no-no tried them today. Will try Selby today

Personally I would much prefer Selby...on the canal rather than the river. However I do know that you might have to moor breasted up with another boat, it might cause inconvenience in getting "stuff" on and off the boat.

anyone know of residential moorings in york?, for 57 footer?

It may be a bit far away, but after Linton Lock there are relatively new moorings on the river halfway from Linton Lock to Boroughbridge (sorry, don't know the name of the company. Moorings are rural, looks like there is lots of space, but it is on the river which does flood a lot).

There is also a small marina at Boroughbridge and a larger one at Ripon Racecourse Marina.

Derek

Edited by Derek Porteous

They are like hen's teeth, Larkshall. I moor 5 miles upstream of York, used to be downstream.

I've heard rumours about these moorings upstream of Linton, but never seen them.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get in to Naburn. Did they say they were full, or say no liveaboards?

They are like hen's teeth, Larkshall. I moor 5 miles upstream of York, used to be downstream.

I've heard rumours about these moorings upstream of Linton, but never seen them.

Sorry to hear you couldn't get in to Naburn. Did they say they were full, or say no liveaboards?

No liveaboards from naburn, selby more cagey get impression could if they sold me aboard. Someone has suggested r. Derwent any houghts?

No liveaboards from naburn, selby more cagey get impression could if they sold me aboard. Someone has suggested r. Derwent any houghts?

I've never been on the Derwent. Access is from the tidal, fast bit of the Ouse, not for the faint-hearted. Rumour has it that there are moorings, but I don't know of anyone moored there.

Edit - Just heard that a friend's brother lives aboard in Naburn marina. Maybe it depends on how you approach them, they might not 'officially' permit anyone to livaboard, but allow them to moor there and sleep on their boat a lot.

Edited by Alastair

I too knew a couple that lived aboard their boat in Naburn marina. I think they lived there for a couple of years, however it was four or five years ago now so the situation might have changed.

What about Lemonroyd marina near Castleford http://bwml.co.uk/marina.php?marina_id=57

I'll have a look at this one.

Naburn is a no-no City of York Council taking too much interest

Selby maybe, if i buy a boat from them

Linton still to check

Ripon am checking in the morning, ditto Boroughbridge

Castleford< HMM its bwml, but wil try and get there later in week

I'll have a look at this one.

Naburn is a no-no City of York Council taking too much interest

That is a huge surprise.

There has been a string of moorings in York for decades, and I know for a fact that only one boat on the string has ever paid council tax.

tbh, I was very glad to move away from them.

I now moor in Harrogate district, who defn demand their pound of flesh.

This is all very frustrating. There are several hundred mooring spaces along the riverbank, unused. When they were let out, the boat owners winged and complained about floods and maint so much, that the owner simply took the moorings out of use. :P

• 2 weeks later...

You could try calling Phil at B and B Auto marine in York. I dont have the number to hand. Do a goodle search for them. Phil was telling me that his friend is about to open a small marina north of Linton lock..Not sure name. Naburn Marina has new owner apparently.....very expensive now.

You could try calling Phil at B and B Auto marine in York. I dont have the number to hand. Do a goodle search for them. Phil was telling me that his friend is about to open a small marina north of Linton lock..Not sure name. Naburn Marina has new owner apparently.....very expensive now.

Thanks will try them in Morning. This search is proving awkward. !!!!

• 2 months later...

interested about this new small marina after linton lock do you have any more info on where it might be

• 7 months later...

Hi

Just reading this thread with great interest. :lol:

Been in York today looking for mooring. :lol:

Does anyone know the contact telephone number for the linear mooring across the river from Naburn Lock? We have been there today but there was no one around to ask. :lol:

Thanks for reading. :lol:

Crew of 'Shamrock'

We considered a mooring at Naburn (York Marina) but found it very expensive and were put off by the flooding issue. Anyhow talking to the owners and staff at the marina you can legally live on board in the marina for 11 months of the year the other month has to be elsewhere. However they said they have found this difficult to manage and cant say who has been on board and for what length of time. Think this goes for the majority of marina moorings. Ours at Burton Waters is the same.

We cruised the Derwent (as far as the Pocklington) on a 57 ft NB a few years ago and found mooring a bit of a problem. You are not allowed to moor at the lock which takes you onto the Ouse and the only other moorings we saw were at a pub. There was a long line of (mainly) GRP boats with a small space at one end. We managed to tie to a couple of trees so that about 5 feet of boat was along side a pontoon which was falling to bits. There is a small basin at the end of the navigable bit of the Pocklington and there were a few boats moored there. I seem to recall that some were residential but it was a few years ago. Getting on and off the Derwent was "interesting". The lockie held us in the lock till a big Gin Palace went past with a wash of over 3 feet high!

haggis

We cruised the Derwent (as far as the Pocklington) on a 57 ft NB a few years ago and found mooring a bit of a problem. You are not allowed to moor at the lock which takes you onto the Ouse and the only other moorings we saw were at a pub. There was a long line of (mainly) GRP boats with a small space at one end. We managed to tie to a couple of trees so that about 5 feet of boat was along side a pontoon which was falling to bits. There is a small basin at the end of the navigable bit of the Pocklington and there were a few boats moored there. I seem to recall that some were residential but it was a few years ago. Getting on and off the Derwent was "interesting". The lockie held us in the lock till a big Gin Palace went past with a wash of over 3 feet high!

haggis

So GRP "Gin Palaces" cant use rivers either. Where can they go? And the long line of GRP cruisers using the moorings probably made more use of the avaliable space than one 57ft narrowboat.

That is a good point though. The majority of boats in the York area are GRP cruisers so beware of the wash they create.

So GRP "Gin Palaces" cant use rivers either. Where can they go? And the long line of GRP cruisers using the moorings probably made more use of the avaliable space than one 57ft narrowboat.

That is a good point though. The majority of boats in the York area are GRP cruisers so beware of the wash they create.

Due to the shallow draft and lighter construction and weight, a GRP boat is more susceptible to damage from excessive wash than a steel boat.

I think the 'Gin Palace' poster was referring more to the risk of damage to the GRP boat in the lock from the steel narrowboats, rather than the inconvenience.

edited to say that one 57ft narrowboat would pay the same licence fee as a line of GRP boats with the same cumulative length, so would be equally entitled to the same mooring space. several smaller boats totalling the same length, would however have gaps between each boat, which foot for foot would be less efficient use of the space.

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

Due to the shallow draft and lighter construction and weight, a GRP boat is more susceptible to damage from excessive wash than a steel boat.

I think the 'Gin Palace' poster was referring more to the risk of damage to the GRP boat in the lock from the steel narrowboats, rather than the inconvenience.

edited to say that one 57ft narrowboat would pay the same licence fee as a line of GRP boats with the same cumulative length, so would be equally entitled to the same mooring space. several smaller boats totalling the same length, would however have gaps between each boat, which foot for foot would be less efficient use of the space.

Roger

Nope they were refering to the GRP boat going up/down the Ouse i suspect creating that amount of wash.

A line of smaller boats also pay their fees and provide more people with a chance to use the local facilities than one 57 foot boat with two people on it.

Tends to be the GRP boats creating the "excessive" wash in the area in question. Although what is classed as "excessive" and do commercial boats create "excessive" wash because they create a hell of a lot more than most of the GRP boats we have come across.

edited to say that one 57ft narrowboat would pay the same licence fee as a line of GRP boats with the same cumulative length, so would be equally entitled to the same mooring space.

Roger,

Just a correction on this.

Standard 12 month craft licence for a 57 foot boat.....

£668.38 (or £601.54 after prompt payment discount).

Standard craft licence for 19 foot boat....

£390.56 (or £351.50 after PPD).

So 3 * 19 foot boats would pay £1171.68 (or £1054.50 after PPD).

So in fact the thee 19 foot boats with a cumulative length equal to the 57 foot one, are in fact paying over 75% more in licence fees, not the same.

As if one of the uses a lock, it still uses the same water as the 57 footer, (and I'm not getting into that argument again!), it's license still sounds comparatively good value to me though!

Alan

(EDIT: Corrected an error in the "Prompt payment" number)

Edited by alan_fincher

I did NOT say that Gin palaces could not use the Ouse. I merely said that there was one aproaching with a high wash and the lockie felt that it was safer all round to keep the lock gates shut till he was past. This prevented us going out into his path or being buffetted about by his high wash. In the choice between boating in a high wash and avoiding it by staying in the lock, the lock wins every time. Had, we however, met the boat with the high wash (I now hesitate to use the apparenty non polictically incorrect terms of GRP or gin palace :-) ) when we were on the river, we would have coped with it.

The mention of moorings was made as the OP asked about moorings on the Derwent. The rickety state of the pontoons was probably OK for smaller, lighter boats but not for a longer, heavier steel one. I may be wrong, but I think the moorings may have been private.

Haggis