A few newbie questions

laural

Featured Posts

Hello everyone pleae forgive my brashness.

We are having a twin coil colorifier fitted.

Apart from hot water what else can be done with this bit of kit.

Is red oxide anygood for painting the boat with for the time being?

How do you fit the wood burner and make the hole for the chimney?

Like any lining around the hole.

We are like going to be camping in the boat so need it for heat.

Lots of questions so I didnt want to start lots of diferent probably done to death topics.

I have searched but the mind just boggles.

Thank you x

The twin coil calorifier means that you can heat domestic hot water using either of the coolant from teh engine (assuming it is water-cooled) and/or a gas or diesel boiler/solid fuel stove with backboiler etc.

Red oxide should be overcoated as soon as possible after curing, as it does not afford waterproof protection; in fact it absorbs water gradually.

I will advise you on the other things when I have done them myself!

You need a metal primer first (presuming the shell is bare metal). The red oxide would be good, but if you are buying something I would recommend Bonda Rust Primer. It's a smart-arsed red oxide that I use always when refinishing from bare metal. Google it for the suppliers; they post.

Then an undercoat. Then a topcoat. Then another topcoat.

You will save yourselves months of work if you apply a reliable and long-lasting paint finish from the off.

I know.

I didn't.

You need a metal primer first (presuming the shell is bare metal). The red oxide would be good, but if you are buying something I would recommend Bonda Rust Primer. It's a smart-arsed red oxide that I use always when refinishing from bare metal. Google it for the suppliers; they post.

Then an undercoat. Then a topcoat. Then another topcoat.

You will save yourselves months of work if you apply a reliable and long-lasting paint finish from the off.

I know.

I didn't.

Thanks Alec.

Its actually in grey primer.

We have just seen a few shiny red oxide boats so assumed people must use this as a budget finish.

Thank you.

Hello everyone pleae forgive my brashness.

We are having a twin coil colorifier fitted.

Apart from hot water what else can be done with this bit of kit.

Is red oxide anygood for painting the boat with for the time being?

How do you fit the wood burner and make the hole for the chimney?

Like any lining around the hole.

We are like going to be camping in the boat so need it for heat.

Lots of questions so I didnt want to start lots of diferent probably done to death topics.

I have searched but the mind just boggles.

Thank you x

Get proper advice re the stove as the heat from the chimney can start a fire if it near wood or anything infalmable. You can make a hole in the roof by drilling a series of holes in the roof and tapping out the circle.

Sue

Get proper advice re the stove as the heat from the chimney can start a fire if it near wood or anything infalmable. You can make a hole in the roof by drilling a series of holes in the roof and tapping out the circle.

Sue

Thanks Sueb.

I suppose we could ask the people we are buying the boat from but they fit stoves also so perhaps it would be cheeky.

Although we cant afford to get them to do it anyway so its not like they will be loosing business.

Stood in the boat today and thought bloody hell we need two stoves one at either end.

How the heat would travel from the front to the back i dont know especially with a walk through bathroom.

Thanks Sueb.

I suppose we could ask the people we are buying the boat from but they fit stoves also so perhaps it would be cheeky.

Although we cant afford to get them to do it anyway so its not like they will be loosing business.

Stood in the boat today and thought bloody hell we need two stoves one at either end.

How the heat would travel from the front to the back i dont know especially with a walk through bathroom.

There are lots of threads on installing solid fuel stoves - try the search facility.

You're right, if you put it at one end of the boat you probably won't get the heat down to the other end, so do a bit of research & planning before you start putting holes in the roof. The options are: a more central position for the stove, or a stove with a backboiler & radiators, or as you say, a stove at either end of the boat (usually only seen on boats of over 65ft in length). If you choose option B you then have some more choices to make as to how the water will be driven through the system - with a pump or without a pump. If you choose a pumped system you have to decide which type of pump, 12v, 12v brushless, or even mains, and so it goes on...

By the way, the easiest way I found of cutting a hole in the roof for the flue was drilling some 6mm holes around a marked circle and then connecting them up with a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade.

Red oxide primer or grey primer - whatever. Just make sure you get some undercoat and topcoats on top as soon as you can, within a few months. I knew a couple who left their boat in red oxide for a year by which time water had ingressed into the paint and rust started to come through. This meant they then had to take it all back to bare metal again, a load of unnecessary work when all it had needed was some more paint to seal it a bit earlier.

Edited by blackrose

Agree on the paint issue. Grey primer is pourous and if you ignore it whilst you do the interior work you will find a number of rust patches by the time you have finnished. It needs at least one coat of top coat for now even if you cant yet afford to do it properly.

When you decide to do the chimmney make 2 circular wooden templates the same diameter as the chimmney pipe. Drill a hole through the centre of both and drill a hole in the centre of the desired roof position for the hole you intend to cut.

By placing a wooden circle on top of the roof and one underneath on the inside you can pop a nut and bolt through and sandwich the roof between the wooden templates. This allows you to draw a circle around the outside and inside and be sure the holes will line up perfectly when they have been cut.

Any roof insulation should be pushed back from around the edge of the hole and there are various pipe collars that can fit around the top to finnish the job off. Pop into a chandlery first to give yourself an idea whats available.

Hi Laural

As far as your paint question goes....it depends on when you intend to do your "final" paint job. You can indeed paint the boat to finish state soon, but you're likely to damage some of it in the fitting out process, simply by constantly climbing in and out carrying tools, materials etc.

As others have already written, you mustn't leave the boat outdoors in primer...it's almost certainly not waterproof long term and you'll end up with rust problems later. Common red oxide isn't waterproof either, but if you get hold of some "Raddle Red" from Craftmaster, you should be ok. It's a matt gloss paint in oxide colour and will repel water (perhaps 2 ooats on hrizontal surfaces such as roof/decks.

We've used it for years on our boat on those locations and have nothing but praise for the product.

Craftmaster can be contacted on 01384 485554 and are on the web too.

Good luck with the project

Dave Moore

Hi Big Steve

Sorry to have caused confusion. The term "matt gloss " describes a paint with the waterproofing properties of gloss but which dries to a matt or satin finish. Some boaters have specified matt finishes on certain areas (often the roof) and coachpainters can add a "matting agent" to ordinary gloss to achieve this. Craftmaster's Raddle Red does this without any additions. It's a modern day red oxide, with a waterproof characteristics.

Cheers

Dave Moore

Thanks Alec.

Its actually in grey primer.

We have just seen a few shiny red oxide boats so assumed people must use this as a budget finish.

Thank you.

Hi there

Red oxide is pretty much the same as grey primer now. There used to a paint called Red Lead but was banned a good few years ago.

I think grey primer with zinc is the best primer now, but as the other have said is not waterproof or rust proof.

It is really only a paint that sticks to metal. The finishing paint sticks to primer - it wont stick to metal.

Alex