Which Engine Replacement?

clovey

Featured Posts

Thinking of replacing the engine in my 57ft cruiser stern n/b, at present its a rough & ready Perkings D3.152 (bomb Proof) but with a fair amount of vibration although it has a 6 point mounting system which I gather is unusual.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to replace it with, bearing in mind cost would be some sort of resticting factor. I would not have any idea of how to do it myself so it would need to be fitted by someone.

As much as I would love a vintage or replica engine it just would be wasted on my boat.

Thinking of replacing the engine in my 57ft cruiser stern n/b, at present its a rough & ready Perkings D3.152 (bomb Proof) but with a fair amount of vibration although it has a 6 point mounting system which I gather is unusual.

Anyone have any thoughts on what to replace it with, bearing in mind cost would be some sort of resticting factor. I would not have any idea of how to do it myself so it would need to be fitted by someone.

As much as I would love a vintage or replica engine it just would be wasted on my boat.

Hi Clovey.

Properly set up the 3.152 makes a lovely power unit -- well suited to the job. I wonder whether instead of needing replacement, it perhaps needs a little fettling and, most of all, rigidly mounting. I'd be in no hurry whatsoever to change it for something else.

Mike.

Hi Clovey.

Properly set up the 3.152 makes a lovely power unit -- well suited to the job. I wonder whether instead of needing replacement, it perhaps needs a little fettling and, most of all, rigidly mounting. I'd be in no hurry whatsoever to change it for something else.

Mike.

Too true! I'd invest in an engineer to play with it and some new mounts.

Hi there

I do agree with onthecutas as to why you want to change it, is it only the vibrations?

Could simply be the engine mounting and the need for a flexible drive unit ( CentraFlex ) if there is not one fitted.

What is the HP of this engine and do you know the size of the prop?

IMHO

1) Izusu

2) Barrus

3) Beta

4) Nanni

I would recommend 40/45 hp

Try getting a price of the net, you dont have to buy it from a marina, there are mobile fitters you can also negotiate a price with.

Where abouts are you based?

Alex

Having seen the direction of most of the posts so far a bit more info.

Perkins D3.152

2.5 ltr

3 Cyl

46 bhp @ 2.250rpm

Unfortunatley don't know details of the prop

PRM 160 gearbox

Drive shaft has a"flexible" coupling

Boat Base Middle Staffs & Worc.

Hi Clovey,

my Perkins D3 is mounted on hardwood bearers which are bolted directly to the engine bed. We do have a centaflex coupling but the boat does vibrate when the engine running but until the recent cooling problems the engine has been perfect.

Other forum members have recommended that this is the correct way to mount this style of engine.

When the time comes for me to replace the engine or even the boat i will attempt to hear as many engines as possibly so as to make the right choice. There is a D3 fitted to a 70 ' Hotel Boat called Willow which as their website state throws a 21" prop so these engines should have ample power.

cheers

Steve