Internet access whilst aboard ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

Hi,

I was wondering what people do for internet / mail access whilst on board / cruising. Is there a module that hooks a Laptop up to the outside world at a reasonable rate per month ? Download speed doesn't have to be up to landline standards, but would like a speed to allow browsing to not be too tedious ( say 1/2 to 1 MB ) or are things that good these days that a bit faster may be possible ? I guess things are developing quickly and it may be something improving rapidly at the moment.

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I guess things are developing quickly and it may be something improving rapidly at the moment.

It it's changing all the time, the biggest problem is getting a good quality phone signal inside a steel tube floating in a ditch! :D

There are some cheap deals available for USB modems from most of the big networks, but they require you to sign up to a long term contract (which is a pain if you can't always get a signal) so I prefer to use pay as you go with several networks more expensive but i can usualy get a signal.

I was wondering what people do for internet / mail access whilst on board / cruising. Is there a module that hooks a Laptop up to the outside world at a reasonable rate per month ? Download speed doesn't have to be up to landline standards, but would like a speed to allow browsing to not be too tedious ( say 1/2 to 1 MB ) or are things that good these days that a bit faster may be possible ? I guess things are developing quickly and it may be something improving rapidly at the moment.

Three, T-Mobile and Vodafone all do mobile broadband with a USB dongle. Three seem to have the better deals with a Pay as you go option thats the same rate as the pay monthly and from 12 month contracts. 3Gb/month starts at £15. T-Mobile seem £5-10 a month more expensive per month but don't charge if you go over your limit (although they do warn you and will cut you off if you continue to go over your limit every month). Vodafone seem expensive but do a 7.2Mb faster option, all the others are around 1.8Mb.

Speed is perfectly useable for browsing. A good tip is to use Firefox with Adblock or a ad block hosts file so you won't download the ads.

Unfor the USB dongle doesn't have a option for an external aerial but you can use a longer usb cable to position it better.

All the best,

Richard..

Edited by Robbo

Don't forget to check the service where your home mooring is. If you give a postcode the service provider should be able to tell you the location of the mast and the type of mast it is. Important if you are going to tie yourself into a 2 year contract.

How good it is depends on whether theres a mast and what kind of mast it is. For that reason you can't really say that t mobile is better than vodafone or vice versa. We've a strong signal for T Mobile here, I'm getting the 7.2mbs on Vodafone here but my neighbour got a 3 dongle wthout checking first and theres no mast nearby! So it's useless.

But there are more and more masts being built or upgraded therefore the coverage is getting better. At my mothers' in W Yorks (small town) I could only get gprs unitl the end of last year, but now I'm on the 7.2mbs.

If you are an uber geek, it's worth checking out the 3g chat forums - they often have news about service improvements - I believe 3 is tying up with another service provider to share /upgrade masts therefore in a year or so it might be worth a look.

This is a starting point for coverage, but I don't know how often it's updated. If you click on the cones (locaction of masts) it tells you who owns them. I'd still call them to double check.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/frame_map.htm

Edited by Lady Muck

Thanks to all

It seems prudent to wait as long as possible until a decision has to be made.

Partly to let roll-out happen, partly to let prices fall, and partly to let us find out where we may end up most of the time.

Initially it is likely to be the K and A, but thereafter, following a midnight hop to the Oxford, on the main network in the Midlands

Still, it's been very useful and seems I wont need to be cut off when aboard...

Thanks,

Nick