llangollen timings

Darcy

Featured Posts

Hi - its a little while since I've been on here - I'm hoping someone can help me with some realistic timings for the Llangollen. I'm planning the annual Easter jaunt. Unfortunately we will be down to 2 fully (ish) fit adults, 2 children and 2 grandparents this year as our other crew member has other commitments. Whilst my son (9) and his grandad (80) enjoy helping with locks, both tend to loose interest and concentration after a few - so we decided to take the opportunity to tackle something with a few less locks than normal and do the Llangollen canal.

We are picking the boat up in Wrenbury, the weekend after Easter and plan to cruise to Llangollen and back - hopefully making a detour up the Montgomery on the return (if we can get the timings right). According to the Canal Route planner (on the default settings) this should be do-able in a week with around 7 hour days (4hrs on the pickup day), including the detour. In the past we've found the timings on the route planner to be pretty good - if anything we go a little faster - however this time with the narrowness of the canal and the fact that it is likely to be busy - I was wondering whether these timings look realistic. The default plan would be to pick the boat up on Saturday - get to Llangollen for Monday evening. Then return going up the Montgomery on Wednesday and returning to the Llangollen as early as possible on Thursday - for the return trip. We don't mind putting in the odd 10 hour day if necessary - but we'd rather not be doing that all week.

So if anyone has realistic timings for this time of year I'd be very greatful. Also I've found two conflicting sets of timings for the Frankton locks. On the Montgomery canal website it has 12-2pm, but elsewhere including on here - people report a morning and afternoon opening. Does anyone know if these are winter and summer times and if so, when do they switch ??

Many thanks,

Darcy

From wrenbury you are already half a day up the canal, so should be easily doable in a 6 day week. It's quicker coming back than going up due to the flow - nearly 50% difference in speed over the ground.

You need to check the current times for the Montgomery - the times are designed to stop you going down and back in the same day, also you now have to book. Perhaps plan to do it on the return rather than the way up, then you can leave it out if you are behind time.

Grindley brook can hold you up for several hours if you get it wrong, try and be there early - 8.00ish. You can moor below the bottom of the three single locks where there are visitor moorings and suss out the opposition!

Hi Darcy

Did the same trip a couple of years ago , at the end of September, just two of us, slight delay at Grindley, think we were about fourth boat in the queue.

We had no problems with timing.

Have a great time.

We went up to Llangollen last summer - with two small(ish) children there wasn't much help at the locks - when they did help, I'm not sure it was really much of a help.

We did Nantwich - Llangollen - Nantwich in 6 easy days.

I wouldn't have thought it will be too busy at Easter - although the locks on the way back could be your hold-up. We got caught at the first locks coming back (New Martin Lock?) with about 15 boats in front! Then again at the top of Grindley Brook with about 8 boats. This was mid-week in mid August so we kind of got what we deserved really :cheers:

Enjoy it, wherever you manage to get to will be nice.

Many thanks for all your replies. Sounds as though our timings should be OK. Alan, we don't really need help with the locks (although it is always nice to meet people that way). It's just that we will be a little slower than normal if we can't send someone on ahead to set the next one.

Having said that - we will probably be greatful for help with Grindley Brook - we've never actually done a staircase before. We do plan to try to get there on the Saturday evening, and hopefully go up early in the morning. Does anyone know what hours the lock keeper works there ? I've looked at your trip report Joromo - but I'd rather avoid getting the lock-keeper out of bed if possible !! Also, I assume that it isn't possible to moor between the three single locks and the staircase ?? Does anyone know ?

Really looking forward to the trip now. Our guide and map we're here when we got back from our long weekend. So its all systems go. If anyone has recommendations for good pub food on route - I'd be very greatful. I assume that there are plenty lovely places to moor -----

Thanks again,

Darcy

Others have already contributed but just for reference here was my itinery from Chas Harden several years ago: slightly different as his boats started staurday AM and finsihed Friday PM

Saturday: Beeston Wrenbury. 14 locks, started 10:30 finsihed about 5 having stopped for lunch

Sunday: Wrenbury-Colemere (just before Ellesmere) 10 locks started about 9 and finished 4ish having stopped for lunch

Monday: Colemere to Froncysyllte (jsut before Pontcysyllte) 2 locks started around 9:30 finsihed 5ish including lunch stop and walk down locks at Frankton

Tuesday: Fron-Llangollen-Chirk 0 locks started about 8:30 finsihed about 5:30 a couple of hours in Llangollen

Wednesday Chirk-Platt Lane 2 locks started about 9:30 finsihed about 5:30 stopped for lunch and an hour in Ellesmere

Thursday: Platt Lane Nantwich: 19 locks started 9 finished 7:30 no lunch stop but queued for nearly three hours at Grindley Brook

Friday: Nantwicj Beeston 5 locks got back to boatyard about 2.

In other words, without pushing it too hard we left Wrenbury Sunday AM and were passing it again Thursday PM

Others have already contributed but just for reference here was my itinery from Chas Harden several years ago: slightly different as his boats started staurday AM and finsihed Friday PM

Saturday: Beeston Wrenbury. 14 locks, started 10:30 finsihed about 5 having stopped for lunch

Sunday: Wrenbury-Colemere (just before Ellesmere) 10 locks started about 9 and finished 4ish having stopped for lunch

Monday: Colemere to Froncysyllte (jsut before Pontcysyllte) 2 locks started around 9:30 finsihed 5ish including lunch stop and walk down locks at Frankton

Tuesday: Fron-Llangollen-Chirk 0 locks started about 8:30 finsihed about 5:30 a couple of hours in Llangollen

Wednesday Chirk-Platt Lane 2 locks started about 9:30 finsihed about 5:30 stopped for lunch and an hour in Ellesmere

Thursday: Platt Lane Nantwich: 19 locks started 9 finished 7:30 no lunch stop but queued for nearly three hours at Grindley Brook

Friday: Nantwicj Beeston 5 locks got back to boatyard about 2.

In other words, without pushing it too hard we left Wrenbury Sunday AM and were passing it again Thursday PM

Just for information pub at Platts Lane closed and now been fired!! Also there have recently been a series of break ins at Platts Lane moorings.

Excellent, thanks Dave -- looks like we will try to do Grindley Brook early in the morning (8.30am is early for us...........).

Your timings are very helpful magpie -- particularly as your cruising times seem similar to ours - we typically continue a bit later in the evenings - but then we often stop for a pub lunch.

Mmm thanks cotswoldsman - we'll definitely avoid mooring near Platts Lane........