Has anyone ever taken a narrowboat up the Danube?

tired old pirate

Featured Posts

I am interested in whether anyone knows whether it has ever been done. Is it just too big and rivery a river to get a narrowboat up safely? :clapping:

If its doable anyone know what the mooring situation's like in Budapest?

I've a feeling its one of those rivers which is a one way journey for a Narrowboat. The stream runs a bit to fast to be able to make headway upstream.

Have you ever read the book - "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow". A fantastic read! A 'nutter' takes a mirror dinghy from UK to the Black sea.

You should be at home on the Danube - I think its their that he meets Pirates!

Edited by I want a 'proper job'

I am interested in whether anyone knows whether it has ever been done. Is it just too big and rivery a river to get a narrowboat up safely? :clapping:

It has been done before with a motor and butty. many years ago (1970's?) sponsored by Banks' Brewery he got as far as the Black Sea. I cannot remember the guy's name, I do remember that the butty sank whilst on tow. The boat was named "unspoilt by Progress" which was the brewery's slogan.

Further internet research may help

Tony

Edited to say last time I saw "Unspoilt by Progress" she was down the Grand Union north of Leighton Buzzard. (about five years ago)

Edited by tony collins

I've a feeling its one of those rivers which is a one way journey for a Narrowboat. The stream runs a bit to fast to be able to make headway upstream.Have you ever read the book - "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow". A fantastic read! A 'nutter' takes a mirror dinghy from UK to the Black sea.You should be at home on the Danube - I think its their that he meets Pirates!
I'll check it out. Google search on danube and narrowboat dosnt look too encouraging!! thats a big river. One way bit no problem. Life generally is! I want to go downstream so I suppose stopping, being run over by big boats and sinking would be my major issues.How does one find out what the legal requirements are? anyone know? suppose cat c hull and big engine r minimum requirements?
last time I saw "Unspoilt by Progress" she was down the Grand Union north of Leighton Buzzard. (about five years ago)
Wow so he did it and got back!?
I'll check it out. Google search on danube and narrowboat dosnt look too encouraging!! thats a big river. One way bit no problem. Life generally is! I want to go downstream so I suppose stopping, being run over by big boats and sinking would be my major issues.How does one find out what the legal requirements are? anyone know? suppose cat c hull and big engine r minimum requirements?Wow so he did it and got back!?
Just found a reference to the sinking of unspoilt by progress 2 on the danube...hmmm

http://www.nb-progress.com/ Think this may help - tho' it's not something this determined Yorkshirewoman would EVER want to attempt!

Best wishes,

Rosie.

Hmm looking like a bad idea so far. Seems to have only been done once and theres probably a reason, the word sink seems to be relevant!

Wonder about the possibilities for low loadering and dropping into a hungarian river somewhere? Anyone know anything bout Hungarian river systems?! Think I would need something a bit more boaty than a narrowboat.

The time of year that you're thinking of doing it will be relevant too, as there has been rather a lot of flooding in recent years over there. It's a huge river, completely dwarfs any waterway we have here. Thought about a weekend city break to check out the river before you go?

Edited by BigRoj

When Nick returned to Cropedy with the "unspoilt" pair, he arrived at Broadmoor lock and promptly hung the motor up on the cill and bent the skeg.

I towed it back to Napton, for him, to get fixed, overnight.

He did indeed convince Cadbury that the big Ricky, Hadfield, was a Bournville boat and got paid to bow haul it round the system.

He also blagged 2 new bikes out of Triumph and took them from (iirc) Washington to Alaska, all expenses etc.

He has held the Round the World cycling record on more than one occasion and, the last time I spoke to him, reckoned he had one last attempt, in him, to regain it.

Master of the blag, and a true star.

The time of year that you're thinking of doing it will be relevant too, as there has been rather a lot of flooding in recent years over there. It's a huge river, completely dwarfs any waterway we have here. Thought about a weekend city break to check out the river before you go?

thinking the same, have lived out there and I know the Tisza floods very badly dont think the danube would be very fun to moor on long term, I'm trying to find out if theres any other smaller rivers there that r navigable, struggling for info tho as it dosnt seem to have been widely done! Dont rekon a narrowboats really up to it but dropping into a smaller river might be feasable.

When Nick returned to Cropedy with the "unspoilt" pair, he arrived at Broadmoor lock and promptly hung the motor up on the cill and bent the skeg.

I towed it back to Napton, for him, to get fixed, overnight.

He did indeed convince Cadbury that the big Ricky, Hadfield, was a Bournville boat and got paid to bow haul it round the system.

He also blagged 2 new bikes out of Triumph and took them from (iirc) Washington to Alaska, all expenses etc.

He has held the Round the World cycling record on more than one occasion and, the last time I spoke to him, reckoned he had one last attempt, in him, to regain it.

Master of the blag, and a true star.

Yes, Nick Sanders is indeed completely barking but a true one-off. Find out more at www.nicksanders.com

You could always get 'The Improbable Voyage' by Tristan Jones, out of the library: it is a fine read and over half of it is about the run down the Danube into the Black Sea. Having read it I have doubts about the suitability of a narrowboat!

Giles

Me to :D So far its looking a bit too unwise even 4 me to contemplate! :)

bloody ell you can read it online! look! click cor the wonders etc...

Edited by tired old pirate

I am interested in whether anyone knows whether it has ever been done. Is it just too big and rivery a river to get a narrowboat up safely? :D

This could be done in late summer but why would you want to?

This could be done in late summer but why would you want to?
Its a very long story, but its a case of sort of possibly having to! Dosnt look like a practical possibility but I am fighting the other options which mean giving up my boat :D
There was also a war on on Croatia when they passed through, which rather put them off attempting the return journey!John.
Not bothered about returning!
Have a read of 'Back door to Byzantium' by Bill and Lauren Cooper. They did it in a sizeable barge and still reckoned it was a one way trip.I believe they returned via the the Corinth Canal and the River Rhone.JohnMV Sara.
Oooh that looks like the stuff, off to the library, cant find that one online! :)

Next ridiculous question, does anyone want to trade my boat for anything capable of making that journey?!

Edited by tired old pirate

I've a feeling its one of those rivers which is a one way journey for a Narrowboat. The stream runs a bit to fast to be able to make headway upstream.

Have you ever read the book - "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow". A fantastic read! A 'nutter' takes a mirror dinghy from UK to the Black sea.

You should be at home on the Danube - I think its their that he meets Pirates!

wow i've found that one on line too click amazing thanks! not sure reading like this is entirely ecologically friendly...have had to run my engine for hours today to keep the computer running!!! :D

Why dont you just rent your boat out and go where you need to go. That way you will have something to return to and not lose it in a foolhardy fight with some wild water.

Thats weird, have just finished putting an advert in some hungarian papers to do exactly that!

Think getting boat there not economical and silly. Mind you I would get to write a book and join a very small club:) gets bloody cold in the winter anyway and my boats not up that sort of trip.

Just found a reference to the sinking of unspoilt by progress 2 on the danube...hmmm

Just read this thread;

There's a film "The longest narrow boat journey in the world" that i found a copy of recently, our band does soundtrack to film http://www.cinemascape.org.uk and i am going to arrange a showing with a live soundtrack.

4 months to get there, 4 years to get back.

And yes he not only sinks in 63' of water he manages to get a local crane to lift it out again. It's not entirely clear why the butty sank as they seemed to be sealed against water, it looks like the bow digs in just too much but exactly where the water gets in i don't know.

I was in Budapest not so long ago and Belgrade and it would be well worthwhile to buy a boat there, lots of cheap barges in Serbia, if you've got the bottle to do a deal with the dodgiest geezers in Europe.

The Danube is a big river but so is the Rhine and if you could do one, you could do t'other.

Can i come too?

Just read this thread;

to be sealed against water, it looks like the bow digs in just too much but exactly where the water gets in i don't know.

I was in Budapest not so long ago and Belgrade and it would be well worthwhile to buy a boat there, lots of cheap barges in Serbia, if you've got the bottle to do a deal with the dodgiest geezers in Europe.

The Danube is a big river but so is the Rhine and if you could do one, you could do t'other.

Can i come too?

Wow that looks cool :) Band looks proper!

what sort of barges can you pick up in serbia? reason I might have to go is I married one of the dodgyest women in europe once and it looks like shes going to get legal permission to remove my kids from the UK to stop them seeing me :) If I have to follow them I am struggling with the whole giving up the boat thing!

I am approaching desperate enough to do it but if you want to come you should be warned I am liable to stay onboard should it go down valiantly screaming my childrens names and shouting you'll never take me alive bitch.

Might make a good film I suppose. Wonder if fathers for justice would sponser the trip? :D

Soundtrack possibly a delicate blend of sophie solomon, butthole surfers and nine inch nails. :D