Gas Meter

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

Tim

As Alan says but remeber to weigh it full, deduct amount of gas ie, 13Kg this will tell you the weight when empty.

or

search google for "gas bottle level" include quotes this will connect to many sites.

There are magnetic ones, attach to the bottle and willl indicate the amount of gas.

Here is one link

thumb_gaslevelindicator.jpg

I have two "GasLow" gauges" which screw into the gas bottle before conecting the hose and give the level of gas left. The scale is also colour-coded for temperature because the pressure will be higher in hot weather and vice versa. Click here for webpage (£20 each) but shop around as one can get them cheaper (eg: try ebay)

Chris

Is there such a thing as a gas meter for calor gas bottles. I know that you can just shake them to see how much is in there but i want something less shake intensive.

Tim

It's called a nose, just before the gas runs out it gets smelly because the 'perfume' settles in the bottom, in my experience I have 2 days from first noticing the smell.

We just keep two, change over when the one is empty, and then replace it at the next avalable opertunity.

- Otherwise the best thing is just to get an idea by the weight as well, just a rock every week will be enough of a rought indication.

- You can wiegh them actauratly, but ive neever seen the need. And you really need to weigh everyone at full too incase they have water in them etc.

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

I took the plunge and bought a new gas bottle so i now have 2. I was supprised at the deposit price for the bottle £30! But that seemed to be the going rate. So I have fixed my problem.

The next conundrum is that the old gas bottle does not seem to empty. It felt empty at christmas and is still going! I dont have gas central heating so i only use it for cooking. The only explaination is that there is a gene in the bottle keeping it well filled.

Tim

The next conundrum is that the old gas bottle does not seem to empty. It felt empty at christmas and is still going! I dont have gas central heating so i only use it for cooking. The only explaination is that there is a gene in the bottle keeping it well filled.

Tim

would you worry about it? is that a human gene or a special gas gene. or even a genie?

it's probably the cold that causes the conundrum - gas weighs less in the cold than in the warm - that's why hot gas has a higher pressure - there's more of it you see. at absolute zero -273C gas has no volume at all and weighs nothing, which is why lpg tanker ships can carry so much gas. if they could get down to absolute zero one ship could gobble up all Putin's gas and nobody would know about it. which proves that spring balances and the like are useless at measuring the gas left in the bottle.

..... or on second thoughts maybe Santa paid you a visit.

right? :):D

Edited by chris polley

The gas doesn't have zero volume and weight at 0degK. The gas molecules still have a rest-mass and occupy a volume but they have zero movement.

Chris

I knew I'd get at least one bite if I posted some technological nonsense ....................... and I knew who it would be. :D Chris :)

dunno what you mean, it's a cracking day here in Ankara. :D

PS, I'll be reporting the weather from Rajasthan shortly.

Am in Delhi. It is absolutely freezing at night. Mumbai a bit better but riots so best to stay indoors!!!!!!!

Looking forward to some unseasonal spring weather in Barton Turns next week.