leak

Featured Posts

:o

I hav a small managable leak from what looks like an un-used conection point on my fairly new, recently fitted calorifyer.

Should I be worried. Think Ill try take a pic of the offending spurt. I want to get the guy back that fitted it, but it was such a caffufle getting it done in the 1st place I'd rather get some idea of what the problem is so I can tell him what I think is wrong. Only thing somone has suggested is that its a pressure build up. I had guessed that much myself as it only seems to leak when the engin has been running.

Sounds like the pressure relief valve to me. These are usually piped to a skin fitting to let the water escape from the boat. Sometimes they are piped into the engine hole bilges.

There is a red twisty pressure thingy on the top that indeed feeds in2 my bilge? should I be twidling the red nob more often?

There is a red twisty pressure thingy on the top that indeed feeds in2 my bilge? should I be twidling the red nob more often?

From memory, the knob is for testing or cleaning purposes, can't remember which. Where specifically is the water coming from?

Will take a picture in a bit, but it is below the feeds in and out of calorifyer

I agree a common problem is the pressure release valve. These can have holes above the diaphram (new one required -idealy without the holes) but must always have a pipe connected to it take away the excess pressured water (to a conveinent outside drain). It can be difficult to be sure where water is coming from, as it always runs else where, try searching with a torch it may help to see the waters reflection.

I agree a common problem is the pressure release valve. These can have holes above the diaphram (new one required -idealy without the holes) but must always have a pipe connected to it take away the excess pressured water (to a conveinent outside drain). It can be difficult to be sure where water is coming from, as it always runs else where, try searching with a torch it may help to see the waters reflection.

When the water gets hot it expands and the pressure in the tank increases, thus there is a pressure release valve (the red thing) that releases the pressure instead of the calorifier blowing up. The water released from the value on my system comes out of a small pipe, I have attached a tube to it, and put the end of the tube into a big container. The container collects the water, and I empty it every now and again. Were I better organised the tube would go to the great outdoors, but as yet i am not.

Ok. This is all great so far. Have had a look at some diagrams and looks like the leak is coming from the bit that would be connected to an immersion heater if I had one.

Does this sound likely?

Yes I've had similar problems and took 4 attempts to seal it!

Get it removed and use plumbers putty on the threads to seal it in properly - PTFE didnt work for me.

Ok. This is all great so far. Have had a look at some diagrams and looks like the leak is coming from the bit that would be connected to an immersion heater if I had one.

Does this sound likely?

Ours leaked around the immersion-heater blanking plate when it was new. Three boatbuilders tried to fix it: two tried silicone sealant, one tried PTFE tape, and it still leaked. Then the original boatbuilder came out to us and used the old fashioned way with putty and string wound into the threads. It is still watertight, many years later.

I think the putty is called "Boss White." I too have used it for various jobs, and have had good results. You would need to drain the calorifier unfortunately. Would it be worth putting an element in whilst going to the trouble of draining, or do you think you will never require one?

http://www.toolstation.com/?r=f&feature=39192

Edited by Dylan

You only need drain it as far as the immersion heater point, how far down is it? Switching off the pump and opening the bath tap is usually good enough (or lay the shower head down in the bath and it should syphon down to the level you need)

You only need drain it as far as the immersion heater point, how far down is it? Switching off the pump and opening the bath tap is usually good enough (or lay the shower head down in the bath and it should syphon down to the level you need)

Why the hell have I never thought of that!

:o

I hav a small managable leak from what looks like an un-used conection point on my fairly new, recently fitted calorifyer.

Should I be worried. Think Ill try take a pic of the offending spurt. I want to get the guy back that fitted it, but it was such a caffufle getting it done in the 1st place I'd rather get some idea of what the problem is so I can tell him what I think is wrong. Only thing somone has suggested is that its a pressure build up. I had guessed that much myself as it only seems to leak when the engin has been running.

;) Shallot?

I think the putty is called "Boss White." I too have used it for various jobs, and have had good results. You would need to drain the calorifier unfortunately. Would it be worth putting an element in whilst going to the trouble of draining, or do you think you will never require one?

http://www.toolstation.com/?r=f&feature=39192

Sorry whats an element for?

Sorry whats an element for?

An immersion heater "element", viz: an electric heater coil.

Note that you cannot run these, other than from shore mains. The 1KW versions (which could run from an inverter) will take far too long to heat your calorifier and the 2KW or 3KW versions will drain your batteries extremely fast (assuming you have an inverter that would handle this kind of power)

Chris

Does this sound likely?

is the pressure of your water system too high for your calorifier?

An immersion heater "element", viz: an electric heater coil.Note that you cannot run these, other than from shore mains. The 1KW versions (which could run from an inverter) will take far too long to heat your calorifier and the 2KW or 3KW versions will drain your batteries extremely fast (assuming you have an inverter that would handle this kind of power)Chris
Ah. no. won't need one then. Water heats fine from engine.
is the pressure of your water system too high for your calorifier?
Don't no. how do I find that out? I'm starting to think I can't fix this safely myself. Will take all your suggestions and help to a plumber I think.

Ah. no. won't need one then. Water heats fine from engine.Don't no. how do I find that out? I'm starting to think I can't fix this safely myself. Will take all your suggestions and help to a plumber I think.

What about asking a friendly neighbour to have a look.

On the side of the water pump there should be a number indicating the water pressure (in bar?). On the side of the calorifier there should be a number (bar) written there too. The water pressure on the pump should not be greater than that of the calorifier.

(My calorifier leaked out of the emmersion bit when the pressure in the tank was too high - I sorted that one out pretty quickly!) Also, does water come out of the emmersion bit AND the bit with the red thing on as well, or just teh emmersion bit?

What about asking a friendly neighbour to have a look.

On the side of the water pump there should be a number indicating the water pressure (in bar?). On the side of the calorifier there should be a number (bar) written there too. The water pressure on the pump should not be greater than that of the calorifier.

(My calorifier leaked out of the emmersion bit when the pressure in the tank was too high - I sorted that one out pretty quickly!) Also, does water come out of the emmersion bit AND the bit with the red thing on as well, or just teh emmersion bit?

Dosn't come out of the bit on the tank, there is a feed (overflow that goes into the bilge) thats not exsessive though.

All this stuff about plumbers putty seems a bit messy. Shouldn't immersion blanking plates seal with a rubber sealing washer ? - mine does.

Arthur

Mine came with a "cardboard" like washer never got it to seal 100% - putty did the job in no time. Fairly thick stuff and cheap to buy, also helped cure a leak from the joint of the air pressure tank.